Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Derek

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Derek »

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
fergus

Post by fergus »

I saw this while browsing this morning and I just had to post it for Seán LOL!!!!............

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

That's a shockin cover!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:That's a shockin cover!

I would have thought that you might have liked the suspenders LOL!!!
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Seán: This is the Ellington LP that I was talking to you about the other night....

Its full title is Duke Ellington's Band Shorts (1929-1935); The Complete Soundtracks.

It features his music from three films namely Black and Tan (1929), A Bundle of Blues (1933) and Symphony in Black (1935).

It also features the female vocalists Billie Holiday, Fredi Washington and Ivie Anderson.

Black And Tan (1929) (18:50)
A1 Black And Tan Fantasy
A2 The Duke Steps Out
A3 Black Beauty
A4 The Duke Steps Out
A5 Black Beauty
A6 Cotton Club Stomp
A7 Hot Feet
A8 Same Train
A9 Black And Tan Fantasy

A Bundle Of Blues (1933) (9:00)
B1 Lightnin'
B2 Rockin' In Rhythm
B3 Stormy Weather
B4 Bugle Call Rag
B5 Lightnin'

Symphony In Black (1935) (9:00)
B6 Symphony In Black: A Rhapsody Of Negro Life
The only piece that I am not familiar with is the Symphony in Black. Ellington had a superb orchestra in the thirties with Wallace Jones (Lead) Cootie Williams, Rex Stewart (trumpets), Lawrence Brown (Lead), Tricky Sam Nanton & Juan Tizol (trombones), Johnny Hodges, Otto Hardwicke, Barney Bigard and Harry Carney (saxophones) an arranger's dream. His favourite singer was Ivie Anderson and she sang regularly with the band during their performances in the Cotton Club throughout the thirties.

In the absence of samples I can give you a set of recommendations if you'd like me to do so.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Fran wrote:Image
One of Louis Stewart's favourite guitarists and a lovely one too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:I saw this while browsing this morning and I just had to post it for Seán LOL!!!!............

Ah holy moly! Well as SSRattle can suck all the energy out of Bartok as demonstrated by his readings of Bartok's First and Second Piano concertos with Peter Donohoe he can certainly do the same to Stravinsky. Did Stravinsky write Jazz? Not sure. He actually included a harp in his Concerto for Orchestra so that Woody Herman's Orchestra would NOT swing when they performed it.
What was it that Maestro Ellington wrote? "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing".
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
In the absence of samples I can give you a set of recommendations if you'd like me to do so.

Yes please Seán; I would appreciate that.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:I saw this while browsing this morning and I just had to post it for Seán LOL!!!!............

Ah holy moly!

LOL!!!