Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
randytsuch

Re: Computer Audio Blasphemy, nige tries Another SD Card Player

Post by randytsuch »

nige2000 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:59 pm yis will likely think ive lost me marbles, (if ye have not already)
i think the wav conversion from flac sounds better than the flac file itself, cleaner, more dynamic, detailed
Everyone here knows you're crazy ;)

My SD card arrived a couple days ago, so far I've opened the box and looked at it.

I happen to have a pair of clocks from Lorien I bought a little while ago, when he first offered them. But they are small, I can see that they will be challenging to connect.

Ordered the board Nige used, but now I have to wait for another shipment from China, so another few weeks while it makes its way over here.
In the meantime, need to figure out how to power this.
Maybe just a 5V walwart and battery connected through switch to 3.3V reg output will work?

Randy
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

you can see here where i added 3.3v cell to the output tab of the onboard 3.3v reg
that powers everything
the lazymans mod, to be taken off eventually

the ams1117 reg says it takes up to 15v
so getting going shouldnt be difficult
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

john did u ask wendy
about sourcing these yellow boards that are in the completed unit?
as they look like a better fit for our use

sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

looking at the pic they seem to have a cable that goes to separate screen module - is that what you mean? We might try order the board alone?

The seller won't consider any non-stock sales unless 50 or more - I guess if the boards were cheap enough a buy of 50 wouldn't be too bad?

I'll ask
TB2G11OacIa61Bjy1zeXXX7wXXa_!!163622646.jpg
TB2G11OacIa61Bjy1zeXXX7wXXa_!!163622646.jpg (91.85 KiB) Viewed 962 times
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Well I was Thinking
We don't need the screen
we don't need the buttons on the unit
The screen and the controls are detachable

Would be a more manageable size to fit in a case

I was also hoping the yellow boards without screen could be 20 usd or less
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, that's my thinking too but doubt the seller assembles these & has individual cards - also what minimum sales value he is likely to be interested in?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

I wasn't particularly thinking of the complete unit seller
Is it worth looking for a seller of the board only?
Taobao for me is a nightmare to find anything
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

The switches on the front panel are 3.3v input
Would a ss signal relay work better?
Maybe we don't need any isolation?
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:57 pm I wasn't particularly thinking of the complete unit seller
Is it worth looking for a seller of the board only?
Taobao for me is a nightmare to find anything
If you can find one - I haven't been able to locate one & there's no manufacturer name on the boards to find out the manufacturer source
It seems that it might be a generic design - for instance this product has been around for years & uses a similar board with STM processor + Card reader http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa660.htm but the two clocks are off board

I have links to STM processor source code on my google drive which will enable a similar program to be written & a board design would not be tyoo difficult but that is probably a next stage initiative. However, if you found sonic differences between Flac & WAV playback then the only reason I can think of is the extra processing involved in Flac decoding? If I was designing new software I would also remove the code for writing to the screen once the design was debugged fully.
www.Ciunas.biz
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Or there's this offering for $91,181 (yes 91 thousand dollars)
https://www.lessloss.com/laminar-stream ... p-207.html

Here's what they say:
The all-new Laminar Streamer finally solves the problem of digital audio harshness by using only a single clock source for the formation of the pristine digital audio stream. Although the device plays .wav and .aiff files off of SD cards, LessLoss did not incorporate the use of Windows, MAC OS, or Linux for its operating system. Instead, from ground up, a dedicated audiophile operating system was built, streamlined for the specialized task of serving the topmost quality data while avoiding jitter. Unlike any other computer audio playback system, the Laminar Streamer's operating system runs synchronously at the audio sampling rate via the very same high quality audio clock used for the formation of the audio data stream. Thus, a new level of quality is achieved in digital playback, previously unattainable due to the inherent complexity of running an OS clock and an audio clock separately. The intricacies of asynchronous re-clocking, buffering, and jitter reduction have been solved at their very source, a world first for digital audio!
Obviously what costs $91,143 more than the $38 dollar card is this :)
"Microvibration Control
Superlative microvibration control through precision milled solid steel and Panzerholz construction.
www.Ciunas.biz