Quadral Chromium Style 8

Diapason

Re: Quadral Chromium Style 8

Post by Diapason »

cybot wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 pm
Ah Martin Collins, the man with the weird marking system :) Still he knew his stuff all told. Wonder what he's doing now?
He's still doing his thing, but now writing for Hifi Critic, which I think he set up?

More importantly, his grandson goes to school with my godson in London, and there's talk of his daughter trying to arrange for me to visit his listening room some day. If that ever happens, you'll hear all about it!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Regarding the volume controls on the preamp, I just made them up on the computer and printed them out, then put a mark on the volume knobs with tippex. Getting the dual volume controls to match is now easy peasy. Love Peter Green myself! Must listen to him on the Quadrals, just have to mention them to keep the thread on track, ha!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:05 pm
cybot wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 pm
Ah Martin Collins, the man with the weird marking system :) Still he knew his stuff all told. Wonder what he's doing now?
He's still doing his thing, but now writing for Hifi Critic, which I think he set up?

More importantly, his grandson goes to school with my godson in London, and there's talk of his daughter trying to arrange for me to visit his listening room some day. If that ever happens, you'll hear all about it!

Looking forward to hearing all about it :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 pm Regarding the volume controls on the preamp, I just made them up on the computer and printed them out, then put a mark on the volume knobs with tippex. Getting the dual volume controls to match is now easy peasy. Love Peter Green myself! Must listen to him on the Quadrals, just have to mention them to keep the thread on track, ha!
I knew it :) I have a line on mine which helps to align them properly and easily. The elastic band just doesn't work ;)

The Quadral's? Ah yes the German guys :)

Re: Peter Green: did you ever hear 'The Biggest Thing Since Collossus' with Otis Span? Terrific searing guitar from the magic man......an underrated classic.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:19 pm
Cyndale wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 7:06 pm Regarding the volume controls on the preamp, I just made them up on the computer and printed them out, then put a mark on the volume knobs with tippex. Getting the dual volume controls to match is now easy peasy. Love Peter Green myself! Must listen to him on the Quadrals, just have to mention them to keep the thread on track, ha!
I knew it :) I have a line on mine which helps to align them properly and easily. The elastic band just doesn't work ;)

Re: Peter Green: did you ever hear 'The Biggest Thing Since Collossus' with Otis Span? Terrific searing guitar from the magic man......an underrated classic.
No, I havent will check it out. I do have Blues Jam in Chicago, and early Fleetwood Mac LPs.

I wonder how they will sound on the Quadrals, very bluesy I imagine. Oh I also have Little Dreamer.
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

I had a read of the Castle Avon 5 review (HiFi World) again just to refresh my memory. The general feeling I got about the review was they were great speakers BUT matching equipment is critical. Reading through it you can clearly read between the lines that the 'reviewer' had problems matching certain amplifiers with them. It certainly wasn't unequivocal like the Quadral Chromium Style 8 loudspeakers review.

Do you think Noel was swayed by your 'musings' about the Quadrals or the Hi-Fi World review, ha!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:58 pm
cybot wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 8:19 pm

No, I havent will check it out. I do have Blues Jam in Chicago, and early Fleetwood Mac LPs.

I wonder how they will sound on the Quadrals, very bluesy I imagine. Oh I also have Little Dreamer.
You have his early stuff sussed. Little Dreamer was one of his comeback albums. I got the first one In The Skies (on green vinyl!). Like LD he was just feeling his way back. But the thing that really stood out was his vocal performance. He revisited Fool No More for the ITS album and his vocals were really well captured. Way out front and confident.

Finally Gary Moore's tribute album to Peter using Peter's own Les Paul (which he gave to him) is really, really special too. It's called Greeny.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 pm I had a read of the Castle Avon 5 review (HiFi World) again just to refresh my memory. The general feeling I got about the review was they were great speakers BUT matching equipment is critical. Reading through it you can clearly read between the lines that the 'reviewer' had problems matching certain amplifiers with them. It certainly wasn't unequivocal like the Quadral Chromium Style 8 loudspeakers review.

Do you think Noel was swayed by your 'musings' about the Quadrals or the Hi-Fi World review, ha!
Perfectly summed up :)

Noel knows me a long time so he kind of sits up and pays attention when I recommend something :)
tweber

Post by tweber »

By coincidence guys, I came across this on adverts last night:
http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/croft- ... p/12902842
cybot

Post by cybot »

tweber wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:26 pm By coincidence guys, I came across this on adverts last night:
http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/croft- ... p/12902842
Hiya Shane! Hope you're keeping well.....and keeping up!

That's the combo I have but with one important difference: the preamp is only the basic version. I think this means it's a line only pre. As far as I remember the pre was £350 and the power about £600....