wtfplay project - it's official

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
satshanti

Re: wtfplay project - it's official

Post by satshanti »

I did some more testing. I had thought my AMD CPU would only manage to play the kernels on the Core2 image, but that is not the case. On my Bulldozer chipset I can use the image for Intel i3/i5/i7 CPU's, and the same most probably goes for any future version for Sandy Bridge chipsets, as Bulldozer chips can handle avx1 (but not 2). I'm not sure how much it's optimized for Intel, but on my pc it sounds excellent. The clear winner is kernel 11 on my system, and wtfplay sounds better than uwtfplay. Kernel 12 by the way had some strange timing issues and was unbearable to listen to for me.

I also decided to start playing from the command line, rather than from within wtfcui. The difference is not huge, but clear, and an improvement. I finally learned that the Linux shell offers various handy keyboard shortcuts to quickly enter long command line entries, particularly the up/down and tab keys. This makes it relatively hassle-free to play from the command line and the improvent in sound quality is worth it.
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
frd1996

wtfplay-live 0.5 is now available

Post by frd1996 »

I am pleased to announce that wtfplay-live 0.5 is now available.

You can find it at http://wtfplay-project.org

This release features DSD playback and user experience improvements. The
details can be found in the release notes: http://wtfplay-project.org/rnotes.html.

Please feel free to ask any questions either here or via the contact email published on the website.

Enjoy!
F
Octagon

Re: wtfplay-live 0.5 is now available

Post by Octagon »

frd1996 wrote:I am pleased to announce that wtfplay-live 0.5 is now available.
Hi Fryderck,

thank's a lot for listening and improving wtfplay. The result is amazing!

Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

Using uwtfplay from the command line on kernel 15. I've gone back to 2 of the default settings (-p60 -n3 in stead of -p80 -n2) and at the moment prefer -f 1024 over 2048 and 4096. The overall sound quality is a HUGE step up from the previous release, even more detail and realism.

Well done, Fryderyk, and thank you very, very much for your continuing quest for perfection!
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)
jrling

Post by jrling »

satshanti wrote:
Using uwtfplay from the command line on kernel 15. I've gone back to 2 of the default settings (-p60 -n3 in stead of -p80 -n2) and at the moment prefer -f 1024 over 2048 and 4096. The overall sound quality is a HUGE step up from the previous release, even more detail and realism.

Well done, Fryderyk, and thank you very, very much for your continuing quest for perfection!
I second the congratulation on the SQ of 0.5, which is the best I have heard yet on computer audio.

Satshanti - interesting to hear you are experimenting with the settings, which I recommend to all, since they can make appreciable difference to SQ. Of course, with all the different hardware chains being used, there is no single optimal setting and we all need to tune into the best settings for our own rigs. However, for what it's worth, I found setting -p too high gave the sound an edgy digital harshness which I hate. -p60 was the highest I went before that effect started to kick in. I use -n2 & -f4096 but I run a realtively low power J1900 Bay Trail board and that might be rather different to say a Haswell CPU with much more processing power.

Finally, have you tried your latest settings with Kernel 16 which I like best?

Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

jrling wrote:
satshanti wrote:
Finally, have you tried your latest settings with Kernel 16 which I like best?
Yes, I've kept comparing kernels 15 and 16 throughout the process and this has remained consistent, my system likes 15 best. But this might change again as other parameters change. And now with this new and indeed unprecedented level of sound quality, I'm in the process of retesting my binaural settings and I'm still making incremental improvements each day.
What an amazing journey!
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

It's based on Gentoo.

Re mpd - I've been there. Not satisfying enough for me. Did you try it?
jrling

Post by jrling »

I also have tried a few MPD based distros and many Linux players are based on MPD without saying so, and also found it not involving.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
pink

Post by pink »

mpd can be installed on any distro like any linux software

i have been using debian for past two decades but now im on slackware 14.1 with kernel tuned for HI-Res audio and mpd + ncmpcpp http://rybczak.net/ncmpcpp/installation/ (another PL project BTW) to stream via usb to DAC Magic 100

ps. gentoo good choice but it might put beginners off a bit.
ps2. thank god you didn`t build it on Ubuntu.