Recent Purchases

DaveF

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

I have actually held off from buying the Gardiner Brandenburgs Dave so I will be extremely interested in your honest opinion on that set.

Gardiners Beethoven symphonic cycle should be compulsory listening for all with an interest in LvB.

I did not know that Bruggen did Mozart's Requiem so that will definitely find its way into my collection eventually!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote: Image
Dave, I am interested in finding out what you make of that recording.
I love these Dorati/Kodály recordngs, I'd imagine that they are a mere subset of your 5 CD set:
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Dave, I forgot to ask about the version used in this recording.
fergus

Post by fergus »

No sooner have I completed one LvB symphonic cycle than another has been placed on order....

Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:No sooner have I completed one LvB symphonic cycle than another has been placed on order....

Gosh, you really are stacking them up Fergus. I take it that you would have no hesitation in recommending the Wand cycle then? How many complete cycles have you got?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:.... I take it that you would have no hesitation in recommending the Wand cycle then? How many complete cycles have you got?
Interestingly, Seán, when I look back on the Wand cycle there is nothing outstanding there, no mannered performances and no dramatic new insights; but I really liked it. The presentation was one of simple, solid music making pure and simple. I enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Gosh, I had not counted Seán but Wand was my 9th cycle!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
Dave, I forgot to ask about the version used in this recording.
I've no idea Fergus. It was more of an impulse buy. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: I've no idea Fergus. It was more of an impulse buy. :-)
Fair enough Dave....I can certainly relate to and understand that!!
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:.... I take it that you would have no hesitation in recommending the Wand cycle then? How many complete cycles have you got?
Interestingly, Seán, when I look back on the Wand cycle there is nothing outstanding there, no mannered performances and no dramatic new insights; but I really liked it. The presentation was one of simple, solid music making pure and simple. I enjoyed it and would recommend it.

Gosh, I had not counted Seán but Wand was my 9th cycle!!
I've only got six, but with a good spread from a small ensemble to big band and Beethoven's music lends itself to the entire range of possible interpretations, I feel.