AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picoless)

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: AUDIO PC: Direct power to motherboad 24 and 4pin (picole

Post by nige2000 »

None of my i3 CPUs are k and still work fine?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Must go searching out an MSI Bios tutorial as it is a pain to work with, I too have struggled with multiplier settings on my MSI board and gave up.
Maybe time to go back and google again to see if we can find something!!

Typing in the number was not very intuitive and it was only after Nige pointed it out to me several months back that I discovered how to down clock the memory......lost my way with the CPU though and it is easy to screw up and have to reset after a non start.

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

Nige,

Lucky you. I guess you have "older" Haswell I3s.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

afaik
unlocked means unlocked for overclocking not underclocking which all cpus ive had can do
have you changed cpu ratio mode to fixed?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
adolfo.a.aguiar

Only AUTO is available. AFAIK, the process for underclocking is the same for overclocking, which is changing the CPU clock multiplier.
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I have had no problem with slowing down an i3 processor.

Sounds like a BIOS limitation to me.

I have old and new ones (CPUs) and have had no problem using GIGABYTE and the ASUS board I most recently started using which can be slowed down REALLY slow and has an incredible amount of onboard filtering.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

tony wrote:Thanks Rick, BTW Big tip works! For me anyway. Soldering tonight was easy and a joy. See if you can source a larger tip for you iron it should definitely improve your work. Not sure on flux but any soldering flux should do (I haven't read through all your posts so maybe you are looking for special solder for a reason)

My attempt at Picoless Zuma has half got off the ground. Without Nigel and Pearse I think I would have blown up more than just 2 usb sticks! My intel board is powering up ok and I Have music playing but have taken the plunge and ordered an i3 haswell and msi board as I do not have faith in the intel board surviving and also have a small issue with getting the mouse working which is PITA.
Just got the stuff out of fear of destroying a battery.

I do not doubt I am overreacting. That's what happens when you read too much on the internet!

THANKS for the encouragement!
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
tony

Post by tony »

nige2000 wrote:
tony wrote:Thanks Rick, BTW Big tip works! For me anyway. Soldering tonight was easy and a joy. See if you can source a larger tip for you iron it should definitely improve your work. Not sure on flux but any soldering flux should do (I haven't read through all your posts so maybe you are looking for special solder for a reason)

My attempt at Picoless Zuma has half got off the ground. Without Nigel and Pearse I think I would have blown up more than just 2 usb sticks! My intel board is powering up ok and I Have music playing but have taken the plunge and ordered an i3 haswell and msi board as I do not have faith in the intel board surviving and also have a small issue with getting the mouse working which is PITA.
cool whats it sound like
Well just using Jplay at the moment but really liking it. Harshness is virtually non existent. Detail and depth on piano and voices is really good. Very rich sounding with dark background. LZ is leaning toward that sound anyway but the clarity with no sharpness makes the sweating and worry about this job worthwhile. Just the bloody mouse not working and loss of all the MQn versions I had set up on the desktop is the only bug bearer.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:Only AUTO is available. AFAIK, the process for underclocking is the same for overclocking, which is changing the CPU clock multiplier.
I dropped the cursor over auto and clicked, then typed in values for multiplier and they stuck, did you try to type over auto?

Sligolad,

It works. I would never try this on my own.
Thanks a lot.