Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Alternative Editions of Contemporary Music.

Post by cybot »

That's really beautiful! Thanks posting it John :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

......and now for something completely different!

cybot

Post by cybot »

This sounds gas :) Already preordered......Read blurb below to see why :)

10/10 according to Mike (Norman Records) on Thu 13 Mar, 2014

Oren Ambarchi's 'Sagittarian Domain' a year or two back was a huge office favourite, a chugging krautrock monster full of subtle tone abuse and hypnotic infinity grooving, so it's good to see him on my rock pile this morning. I'll start with him today. But wait, turning the record over I've just spotted who his band are this time around: on guitar, Billy Gibbons, on bass, Dusty Hill, and on drums, Frank Beard! Well, my jaw just hit the floor.

Yup, just months after Billy Gibbons's excellent split 7" with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Matt Sweeney comes this utterly bonkers 12" which sees Ambarchi go head-to-head with southern boogie lords ZZ Top. I love how the press release just subtly alludes to this fact because it's blowing my mind right now. Oren Ambarchi vs ZZ Top. I'm looking for information about it. The internet doesn't seem to know yet.

There are two lengthy jams on this 45rpm platter. On side A is 'Milk A Cow With A Monkey Wrench', which sees the 'Top grinding out the riff from their iconic smash hit 'La Grange' on repeat while Ambarchi puts some screams rainbows over it in virtuoso splutter and buzzing metallic feedback drones, just pure gnarly shred. Just amazing. There's even a cheeky little hat-tip to the pinch harmonics bit from the original track's solo at one point which raised my joy levels even higher.

Overleaf is 'Park It Where The Sun Don't Shine', a song whose riff I don't recognise, so I'm not sure if it's another ZZ Top number or just something they jammed out on the day. The concept remains the same, a one-take assault of crackling, cackling, molten guitar lava poured over an immaculate hard rock groove. I'm delighted by the concept, I'm delighted by the execution, I'm just generally quite excited that this record exists.
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

cybot wrote:This sounds gas :) Already preordered......Read blurb below to see why :)

10/10 according to Mike (Norman Records) on Thu 13 Mar, 2014

Oren Ambarchi's 'Sagittarian Domain' a year or two back was a huge office favourite, a chugging krautrock monster full of subtle tone abuse and hypnotic infinity grooving, so it's good to see him on my rock pile this morning. I'll start with him today. But wait, turning the record over I've just spotted who his band are this time around: on guitar, Billy Gibbons, on bass, Dusty Hill, and on drums, Frank Beard! Well, my jaw just hit the floor.

Yup, just months after Billy Gibbons's excellent split 7" with Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Matt Sweeney comes this utterly bonkers 12" which sees Ambarchi go head-to-head with southern boogie lords ZZ Top. I love how the press release just subtly alludes to this fact because it's blowing my mind right now. Oren Ambarchi vs ZZ Top. I'm looking for information about it. The internet doesn't seem to know yet.

There are two lengthy jams on this 45rpm platter. On side A is 'Milk A Cow With A Monkey Wrench', which sees the 'Top grinding out the riff from their iconic smash hit 'La Grange' on repeat while Ambarchi puts some screams rainbows over it in virtuoso splutter and buzzing metallic feedback drones, just pure gnarly shred. Just amazing. There's even a cheeky little hat-tip to the pinch harmonics bit from the original track's solo at one point which raised my joy levels even higher.

Overleaf is 'Park It Where The Sun Don't Shine', a song whose riff I don't recognise, so I'm not sure if it's another ZZ Top number or just something they jammed out on the day. The concept remains the same, a one-take assault of crackling, cackling, molten guitar lava poured over an immaculate hard rock groove. I'm delighted by the concept, I'm delighted by the execution, I'm just generally quite excited that this record exists.
I must give that one a listen dermot...A bizarre combination for sure..
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

cybot

Post by cybot »

jadarin wrote:Image

I've had my eye on that one John. What's the verdict?
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

cybot wrote:
jadarin wrote:Image

I've had my eye on that one John. What's the verdict?
Yeah this is really
good,they work really well together Dermot.Not an album for everyone,that's for sure but one of the better albums of the year so far.

REVIEW:Other World, the collaborative album by Peter Hammill and Gary Lucas, might seem an unlikely pairing on the surface, but its roots lie in an acquaintance and mutual admiration decades old. Hammill invited the New York guitarist to his studio in Bath to see what might transpire. Hammill sings; both men play guitars and add electronic treatments to the proceedings. "Spinning Coins" is a near pastoral folk ballad, with strummed acoustic guitars and Lucas' colorful, single-string digital delay effects that spiral yet restrain themselves under the vocal. On the brooding "Some Kind of Fracas," reverbed electric and acoustic guitars underscore the intensity and tension in Hammill's delivery. "Built from Scratch" and "Attar of Roses" are sequential instrumentals. On the former, feedback, harmonics, and a repetitive chord pattern frame a mercurial, even fractured sense of melody. The latter is even more abstract but contains a pronounced flamenco tinge as rounded, watery effects commingle with the duo's meandering guitars as they improvise. "This Is Showbiz" is a rumbling blues with Hammill's wry, bitter lyric in tandem with Lucas showcasing his abundant knowledge of and extrapolation from fingerpicked Delta forms -- before a bridge adds a touch of jazz syncopation. Nice! "Black Ice" is a rocker with completely improvised middle and closing sections, featuring squalling guitars and effects, while "The Kid" is rooted in the blues tradition, and Lucas' playing delivers abundantly. Hammill, however, offers sleight of hand and imbues his singing with elements from folk and prog simultaneously. "2 Views" is a spacious, almost cinematic love song with "found" layered chorus vocals adding drama to its elegance -- it contains Hammill's finest vocal on the set. Other World's closing pieces are also instrumentals. The snarling, if brief, "Means to End" is a rockist tease and countered by the graceful, gossamer ambience in "Slippery Slope." Other World is a fine album, and one where this pair's creative reach feels nearly boundless.
Last edited by jadarin on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks for that John. Definitely on the short list :)
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

The first time i've heard this in FLAC!
cybot

Post by cybot »

jadarin wrote:
The first time i've heard this in FLAC!

Sounds good on any format John! Classic sounds from a classic time. Never to be repeated no matter how many people try to copy them......Original is ALWAYS the best :)