Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by nige2000 »

Ok up and running on the usb3 stick only not oj a usb 3 port wont boot unless in a usb 2 port will look into this more later might be a driver issue
Also in standalone mode wont play says jplay driver not installed anyone with any experience of this
Thanks nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:Ok up and running on the usb3 stick only not oj a usb 3 port wont boot unless in a usb 2 port will look into this more later might be a driver issue
Also in standalone mode wont play says jplay driver not installed anyone with any experience of this
Thanks nige
Great - Fran has cloned his USB stick to my 2 USB sticks, one a USB3.0 (Sandisck Xtremem Pro) & the other a USB2.0 (TRanscend).
He can't get the USB3.0 booting & the USB2.0 Transcend stick is very slow.
So maybe I've got 2 duds or maybe there are some tricks to get the USB3 stick working? I know you mentioned before about changing the bit that signifies it's a removable drive rather than a fixed drive - did you do this with your USB3 stick?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

no this stick is the certified windows to go one bit didn't need to be flipped to fixed its already set as fixed shows up as a hard drive, very easy install following the guide fran posted. the other usb 3 stick i had to get replaced is a corsair branded one, ill see about it when it arrives, although im not overly confident about getting it working but ill give it a go anyway.

going to try and get the kingston usb3 to boot in a usb3 port tonight
its still far faster in a usb 2 port than say a traditional disk drive (forgot the figures on it)

nige
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:no this stick is the certified windows to go one bit didn't need to be flipped to fixed its already set as fixed shows up as a hard drive, very easy install following the guide fran posted. the other usb 3 stick i had to get replaced is a corsair branded one, ill see about it when it arrives, although im not overly confident about getting it working but ill give it a go anyway.

its still far faster in a usb 2 port than say a traditional disk drive (forgot the figures on it)

nige
The USB3.0 stick is the certified Win to go - what one is it?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Kingston 64GB USB Memory Stick DataTraveler Windows Workspace DTWS/64Gb

theres a 32gb version too

only difference is they show as a fixed drive as far as i know
on more research bit flipping can get ugly, and may need specific software to flip different hardware
nige
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

OK, Nige, thanks
Can you say more about the problems with bit flipping or link me to the data on the downsides?
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:OK, Nige, thanks
Can you say more about the problems with bit flipping or link me to the data on the downsides?
downside is u will render the stick unuseable if done wrong

i cannot really advise on this till i have done it myself, cant find the link to what i was reading it was in Russian which is a bad start. the theory was that you identify your usb stick with some software gives you a manufacturer and two short numbers with that you find the usb tool for fixing the specific usb stick (usually the manufacturers own tool)

try iflash.ru or something like that

but im just reading stuff to try same as you, we cant be sure of anything, and we would want to tread carefully if we dont want our usb sticked buggered up

thats all i found so far

nige
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

nige2000 wrote:no this stick is the certified windows to go one bit didn't need to be flipped to fixed its already set as fixed shows up as a hard drive, very easy install following the guide fran posted. the other usb 3 stick i had to get replaced is a corsair branded one, ill see about it when it arrives, although im not overly confident about getting it working but ill give it a go anyway.

nige
usb3 ports not booting
note to self check simple stuff first
i needed to check bios to set my usb3 stick from auto to harddrive its quicker than i thought i tested it with this
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Har ... dale.shtml
88 megabyte/sec write
214 read

no sign of my non wtg usb3 stick yet but ill get trying to get win 8 booting on that when it arrives
but im away to new york for a couple of weeks. i wont get much tinkering done there as i don't currently own a windows laptop

nige
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

unsuccessful in getting the removable drive usb3 stick to boot
wouldnt install on a usb 3 port had to go usb2 took over an hour to install
didnt find suitable software to flip the bit to fixed
myself and usb3 stick aren't on speaking terms at the minute
ill probably not make anymore attempts at a install on this stick, i think its a waste of time

id recommend the kingston workspace usb3. full install from start to finish ten minutes. you wouldn't even have time to make coffee

i have two pc's similarly kitted out, ones completely passive cooling and having a advantage over the standard power supply and cpu fan cooler pc in standalone mode achieving about half the difference between standalone and 2pc streaming. wether its a fan noise thing or a cleaner power supply i have no idea

pondering the idea of putting two pcs (i have a couple well up to the task lying about) into streacom fc10's although it still grieves me to have to use two pcs to achieve optimum results

how are u guys getting on with your install
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Meant to update this - I got my two cloned USB sticks back from Fran - one a Sandisk USB3 & another Kinston USB2 - neither will boot on any of my 3 laptops even though the USB2 stick booted on Fran's system (but not the USB3 stick).
So I've given this up for a while, to preserve my sanity :)
www.Ciunas.biz