My devices on Tour

tony

Re: My devices on Tour

Post by tony »

lads watching game cant type on laptop and busy collecting kids from the game etc when i get a chance will post. but it is on the first minute to 90 secs of the track. When it is different sounding it is very noticeable. Bottom line briefly j's dac is bleeding great.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
tony

Post by tony »

Ok got to desktop 47seconds in. There is a nice bass bit around 37-42sec also. It is the cyrus cd8se. I need to compare again with dac but no time now chores to do.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Tom, thanks for the compliments, it was a pleasure.
I finally succumbed to ordering the extender I need to hook up the JKDAC32 to the PC as John suggested and see how it compares to my brand new Audioquest Carbon USB cable (maybe another 100$ down the audio drain).
Is anyone in possession of the track Tony and John used able to rip and post a link to all or part of the track so others can use it as a test? I think it's possible on this forum to attach a file to a post.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Just wanted to report an email I got from a guy who makes cables (not USB cables & not commercially)
Now you've gone and spoiled me. I can't listen any other way than direct. It's so much better. The increase in clarity and low level detail seemed subtle at first but the more I listen the more I'm just absolutely amazed at how much better it sounds. You're just pulled into the music. :o)
My take on this is that if you had spent €500 on a "audiophile" USB cable & you got this level of improvement (& we are not in the land of placebo here) then you would be raving about the cable :).

I'm too good to you guys – giving you all the skinny for free - should have kept quiet & made my own expensive commercial connector wrapped in gold leaf & bitumen & a story of quantum tunnelling, cryogenic treatment, nano technology, & crystal alignment :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:should have kept quiet & made my own expensive commercial connector wrapped in gold leaf & bitumen & a story of quantum tunnelling, cryogenic treatment, nano technology, & crystal alignment :)
The limited edition version II
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I love the difference a bit of quantum tunnelling makes to sound. Everything seems so much faster.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
tony

Post by tony »

Ok I have had my two weeks and unfortunately Mick turned up as arranged this morning so the dac has been passed.
Very briefly listened to this over the last 2 weeks when I could get the chance.Eventually last friday sat down with John and spent about 2hrs listening to my cd player, the dac with wireworld usb cable and with the usb connectors, We used the cyrus 8xp with outboard power supply mainly but tried Johns amp also for comparision.Shelby lynne singing 'Just a Little Lovin' was used throughout (maybe laziness or just that it made it easier to identify changes by going at it this way) Sound is definitely more 3d and deeper with the dac then the cyrus cd player.Substantially so.When you move from the usb cable to the connectors there is just another leap, everything is just clearer all instruments are more defined the soundstage just expands considerably while it is very good with cyrus it is just narrower(hope that makes sense) Really sorry to report that the usb connectors sound better Ken but you can always use your new usb cable as a clothes line. I am not good enough at describing what I here to give a large expansive view but using the dac I really feel I am getting the best out of my current system.For the first time I feel yes I can put away the cheque book and just listen to music.

When you consider the price difference i.e cd player and outboard power supply are approx 4 times the price of the dac this is an incredible achievement by John. I have ordered my jkdac32 and would highly recommend people giving it a go on the trial. John is not a pushy hifi sales guy, you have a great chance to listen to this in your own home for a decent trial period with no pressure and just make up your mind if the unit is for you or not.Give it back or pass on to the next person. I reckon anybody who tries this will find it very difficult to do without it.
If I was identifying negatives the usb connectors mean you really need a decent rack(table top) to hold the laptop,dac and connectors.In my case the stuff was on the floor. I think it could be easy to damage something accidentally. If that was a problem just stick with the usb cable.
If you read the post before this it succinctly describes what you are getting rather than my waffle. To my mine its a no brainer for people who really want to get the best out of their system at a realistic price. I havent heard hires files on this yet and cant wait to try that out.
Jplay is easy to use and I was amazed at the differences that occurred when you messed with the settings. For people who have had no experience changing the settings it is very easy. You are not messing around in control panel etc you just launch the product. To make changes the menu has a list of letters for each adjustment. e.g to put pc in hibernate mode just press H to change that setting to off just press H again. You can use itunes jriver etc if preferred but I just went straight for jplay mini as the best playback is achieved with that.

If you review tirnahifi this unit has received more posts and views than any other item. There is a very good reason for that.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Thanks Tony,
Much appreciate your words of appreciation for me & the DAC :)
You are in the order book but just to reiterate what you said, I don't expect anything from the people who take the opportunity to hear this DAC (or other devices of mine) in their own systems. I only ask that they post their impressions as Tony has done above.

Great, Mick that you have taken it over - apologies I didn't leave a USB stick with Tony for you. This was meant to contain USB driver(s) & high-res files. I don't think Tony got to hear any high-res files playback! Let me know if you need anything from me, files, info, advice, anything? I have a user guide that you should read - so if you email me I will send it to you.

BTW, I got that Shelby Lynne track & I'm told from someone who has listened to it that there is recorded sibilance on the track & there is also clipping on it at 3:14.2310 You should see this in Audacity or some WAV editor. I can send Fran a pic if he wants to host it?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
mick

Post by mick »

Hi John,
Who is next on the list for the JKDAC tour.
What arrangements need to be made.
Mick
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

mick wrote:Hi John,
Who is next on the list for the JKDAC tour.
What arrangements need to be made.
Mick
Nobody else has signed up, Mick, so if you want to drop it back to Ivor's or meet up somewhere, your choice!
Would appreciate a final report on your impressions of it - thanks Mick.
www.Ciunas.biz