MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jesuscheung

Re: MQN

Post by jesuscheung »

erin wrote:Just my opinion.

2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl, and 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa, emphasize the leading edge of notes and have an upward tonal slant. 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2c does not have the midrange clarity of 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl mfence.

mfence is very clear, and does not over emphasize the leading edge of notes.

By getting rid of the over emphasis, you have also gotten rid of the upward (treble) tonal slant.

This is a very nice version. Well done!
this 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl mfence is easily the best of all SSE2 versions. the vibration is recent best! maybe all time best. sounds very correct.

notes fade slower or last longer in the air in sse4. if this can be integrated into sse2, it will be amazing.
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Been out of the country for a few days and just jumped straight to 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl mfence.
This is just what I have been after and will be my new reference, the midrange is now lovely and full again with great lowrange power and definition while still having that MQN signature clean (less noise I assume) detail and separation.
The "poison gas" is also still there (see JC comment) :-)

Whatever has happened while I was away MQN now sounds very close to a finished article to me, maybe the JK convertor has helped!
Will try some of the sse4 versions later but this sse2 version sounds amazing.
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
hi Aleg

are you using Audiophils script?

i agree that theres a reduction of soundstage with this 2.66 sse2 dqa dqa compared to the best of the sse4's

On my destop system I have no optimisations at the moment. Apart from disabling the HPET and System Timer discussed yesterday.
It is running a 2012 in GUI mode.
On my main system I have run CAD's optimisation script as adapted for 2012 by Pearse.

Cheers

Aleg
did you try phils script then decide other ways are better?
No, after running Phil's scripts I could stop playback of MQn. The control-program wouldn't respond to pressing 'X'.
I believe that was already a known effect of the services stopped by Phil's script.
So I just decided for the moment to let it be and try CAD's script which also disables and reconfigures a lot of items.

I think later the MQn interface might be changed a bit to offer a more 'stable' control under all the optimisation scripts.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote: No, after running Phil's scripts I could stop playback of MQn. The control-program wouldn't respond to pressing 'X'.
I believe that was already a known effect of the services stopped by Phil's script.
So I just decided for the moment to let it be and try CAD's script which also disables and reconfigures a lot of items.

I think later the MQn interface might be changed a bit to offer a more 'stable' control under all the optimisation scripts.

Cheers

Aleg
sorry for hounding
suppose i really should get to the point

which is better cad script or audiophils?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Sligolad

Post by Sligolad »

Hi Aleg, I just made a small change in Scott's script and replaced it in the dropbox link on the Build an Audio PC Thread.
I changed the screen disable to leave on permanently now as with HiRez playback it was going off after a minute but something was kicking it back in a minute later and upsetting MQN playback with sound getting distorted.
Just rerun the script if you are having any issues and it will leave the screen on permanently.
No issues with MQN 16 44 playback on the earlier version though.

Have you tried 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl mfence yet, sounds wonderful here.
Cheers, Pearse.

Post by Ken Moreland »

I started my MQN listening with 2.52 sse2 and I was very impressed but I was limited by my older processor to sse2 versions, so I ripped out the motherboard and cpu and replaced them with Haswell i3. I was able to enjoy the different sse4 versions . Now I find the 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl mfence version is the best so far. Detail is better than the other sse4 versions. Excellent sound.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

No, after running Phil's scripts I could stop playback of MQn. The control-program wouldn't respond to pressing 'X'.

Cheers

Aleg

have fixed that by using a new command in mqncontrol, but haven't released it

have uploaded a 2.68 sse2 intel version, was messing about last night and came up with this version which I think is pretty good. Has a new way of prefetching the data.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
Aleg wrote: No, after running Phil's scripts I could stop playback of MQn. The control-program wouldn't respond to pressing 'X'.

Cheers

Aleg
sorry for hounding
suppose i really should get to the point

which is better cad script or audiophils?

Sorry to have to disappoint you, but I don't know (yet) as I haven't used Phil's script with MQn much really.

Cheers

Aleg
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Sligolad wrote:Hi Aleg, I just made a small change in Scott's script and replaced it in the dropbox link on the Build an Audio PC Thread.
I changed the screen disable to leave on permanently now as with HiRez playback it was going off after a minute but something was kicking it back in a minute later and upsetting MQN playback with sound getting distorted.
Just rerun the script if you are having any issues and it will leave the screen on permanently.
No issues with MQN 16 44 playback on the earlier version though.

Have you tried 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl mfence yet, sounds wonderful here.
Cheers, Pearse.

Hi Pearse
Thanks for chiming in, I believe it is just that script that I'm now using.
I'm not having issues with any resolution, so it probably is that one.

With regard to 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl mfence, I am listening to it right now and I'm very satisfied with the sound. I haven't compared it with the best of SSE4 though.
What I'm not sure of yet is whether SSE2 gives me the same level of texture in the sound (microdetails) as SSE4, and also have not yet made up my mind if I would actually prefer that as SSE2 mfence is sounding so great ;-).

Cheers

Aleg
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:No, after running Phil's scripts I could stop playback of MQn. The control-program wouldn't respond to pressing 'X'.

Cheers

Aleg

have fixed that by using a new command in mqncontrol, but haven't released it

have uploaded a 2.68 sse2 intel version, was messing about last night and came up with this version which I think is pretty good. Has a new way of prefetching the data.

Sbgk

Could you upload that fixed control program?
I would make it a bit more convenient for me to use AudioPhil's script as well in tests.

Cheers

Aleg