MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
jkeny

Re: MQN

Post by jkeny »

erin wrote: Wow, brief low level? I hear it about as loud as the note being played! (in the right chanel) To me it sounds like a worn out old master tape that someone spilled their toast with jam on it! Do you have the LP? Is the sound on the LP?
Yea, it does not sound like a natural noise, does it?
Do you hear it with SSE2 dqa though?

No, I don't have the LP only the CD from which this was extracted using EAC.
I think I may have also, over time tried DBpoweramp extraction too but with the same result.
Also have listened to other download, including a 24/96 version & it has the same anomaly
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:
hi Aleg

are you using Audiophils script?

i agree that theres a reduction of soundstage with this 2.66 sse2 dqa dqa compared to the best of the sse4's

On my destop system I have no optimisations at the moment. Apart from disabling the HPET and System Timer discussed yesterday.
It is running a 2012 in GUI mode.
On my main system I have run CAD's optimisation script as adapted for 2012 by Pearse.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Hold on - I just went back & played it again to check my assertion.
I can now hear the same noise (but not as pronounced) in SSE2 dqa. Couldn't hear it last night
Ah crap, I thought this version of MQN had eliminated it almost completely & it would be a good tester for audibility & measurements!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Aleg wrote:
nige2000 wrote:
hi Aleg

are you using Audiophils script?

i agree that theres a reduction of soundstage with this 2.66 sse2 dqa dqa compared to the best of the sse4's

On my destop system I have no optimisations at the moment. Apart from disabling the HPET and System Timer discussed yesterday.
It is running a 2012 in GUI mode.
On my main system I have run CAD's optimisation script as adapted for 2012 by Pearse.

Cheers

Aleg
did you try phils script then decide other ways are better?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
erin

Post by erin »

A while ago I reported that 2.53 sounded really good. It has huge deep bass, and is the smoothest version I have heard.

sbgk tried it and said it was grainy. I have just figured out why. For 2.53 to sound its best, it requires mqncontrol 2 core affinity original version - not V2, to sound best.

Bearing in mind I am listening on a celeron 2 core CPU. Can anyone else download my entire MQN 2.53 folder and listen to this version again. I'm fairly sure you will be impressed. It has got bigger deeper, and more tonal bass than the latest versions and is very silky in the top end. Link is here
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
erin

Post by erin »

jkeny wrote:
Do you hear it with SSE2 dqa though?
Sure did. Loud and clear. Tried it on 2.53, and it was less pronounced.
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 2 more 2.66 sse2 versions which use 2 cache lines, think this gives a fuller sound, think the mfence one sounds best
erin

Post by erin »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 2 more 2.66 sse2 versions which use 2 cache lines, think this gives a fuller sound, think the mfence one sounds best
2.66 sse2 mfence has really nice midrange clarity, without the slightly "forced" sound that 2.66 SSE2 dqa dqa has in comparison. This version has the smoothness that I like, with clarity and natural tone.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
erin

Post by erin »

Just my opinion.

2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl, and 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa, emphasize the leading edge of notes and have an upward tonal slant. 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2c does not have the midrange clarity of 2.66 sse2 intel dqa dqa 2cl mfence.

mfence is very clear, and does not over emphasize the leading edge of notes.

By getting rid of the over emphasis, you have also gotten rid of the upward (treble) tonal slant.

This is a very nice version. Well done!
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

Sat here listening to the mfence SSE2 version posted earlier today.

Have to agree with erin - very easy to listen to and very open sounding.

Need to go back and try a couple of earlier versions because I rebuilt my audio pc (moved to linear and pico etx supplies, ssd OS - all passively cooled and silent) so some of the change in character may be ascribed to that.

Mark

(P.S. SBGK - not wishing to bug you or appear ungrateful for the bounteous red book replay - any luck with the 24bit version?)
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s