A turntable, finally?

Adrian

Re: A turntable, finally?

Post by Adrian »

Not sure if you have one of these Simon, but they are dirt cheap and indispensable for cartridge set up.

You can spend anywhere between 10e up to almost 100e, take your pick.

Most cartridge manufacturers specify a small range in weight, i.e. 2 to 2.5g, you may find 2.4g is better than 2.5g. The only way you can make these adjustments is to accurately measure the change.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Digita ... B01GJ01FGM

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Ortofon-ds-3-Pr ... 2691234894
Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian's suggestion above has given me a little more insight into your problem. It could be your tracking force is off. Try setting it a little heavier. Start at 2 gms and listen. If the distortion is no longer there then you've cracked it! Just keep lowering it until you get as close as possible to the recommended force. A digital stylus gauge is a must too but you've got to use it properly in relation to positioning. All you have to remember is that a stylus sitting on a record + 3mm mat = approx. 5-6mm. I'll leave the rest to you suffice to say that you will get distortion if the downforce is too low.

From the all seeing, all knowing Web:
"You'll probably be ok without a scale for now as there is a tolerance in tracking weight of the cart between 1.5g and 2g. Though ideally I think 1.75 to 1.8 is best for the elys.

Though from experience the rega dial is not the most accurate so longer term scales are a good bet."
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Morning all, and thanks for the suggestions.

Adrian, I bought that exact Neoteck scale you linked, and I've experimented with increasing the tracking force a little. This cartridge doesn't suggest a range, just 1.75g, so I dialled it in exactly first, then gradually increased a little bit without really solving anything. I haven't gone all the way up to 2g, so maybe further experimentation there is required. I'd also better check that the height is right when I use it, I've just been putting it directly on the mat.

In terms of alignment, I'm discovering my eyes aren't what they used to be, and I'm finding it hard to tell whether the stylus/cantilever is positioned square. TBH, I'm not entirely sure that it is, but it barely protrudes from the cartridge and I can barely see it in action. I noticed when putting it on the protractor there's a bit of "play" in it, left and right and up and down, but I don't know whether that's normal or not.

I've tried a bit of adjustment with the anti-skate setting too, but to be honest I can't hear any differences no matter where I set it. It's a pretty blunt tool on the Rega, it has to be said.

I tried recording a bit yesterday on my phone to share with you, but the problem doesn't really translate. The S sounds are excessive perhaps, but the distortion I'm hearing isn't really evident. Probably not too much point sharing it really.

I'm stilling mulling over a new cartridge, tbh.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
cybot

Post by cybot »

Remove the mat. Now try it again starting from 2 gms.
cybot

Post by cybot »

How did you get on Simon?

Came across this just now. Have a ponder....

"As before, the instructions were completely worthless. So I downloaded the manual for the Super Bias from Rega’s outstanding website, and in that manual they suggested 1.75 grams. My advice: don’t believe it. Like all cartridges, the “optimal” force is usually too light. Using my Hi-Fi News & Record Review test record, I confirmed mistracking up until 2.0 grams. That’s where I left it."
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well done on getting / having the digital force gauge.

TBH, might be worthwhile taking those LP's with the sibilance issue to another member who has a good set up and having a go on their TT / amps / speakers etc

Perhaps prior to doing so... make a written note of the Album / track / time that the sonic issues occur at. That way you have it all clearly laid out .
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

cybot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:54 pm How did you get on Simon?

"As before, the instructions were completely worthless. So I downloaded the manual for the Super Bias from Rega’s outstanding website, and in that manual they suggested 1.75 grams. My advice: don’t believe it. Like all cartridges, the “optimal” force is usually too light. Using my Hi-Fi News & Record Review test record, I confirmed mistracking up until 2.0 grams. That’s where I left it."
Thanks Dermot. I had a very quick check of bringing things up to 2g. It didn't solve things, but it changed the sound a little, perhaps? Then the kids arrived home and that was that. One thing seems increasingly clear: this is primarily an inner-groove problem. All the worst examples are end-of-side songs.

Adrian, I am thinking the same, I should go to other members and see what things sound like. I think part of the problem with the Cloney trip was that I took the single worst example I could find, and then when it wasn't COMPLETELY solved on any other system we left it at that. In reality, I think this is a continuum of acceptability, and it would be more interesting to find out where I am in that continuum. At some point I'm going to kidnap one or two local members and drag them over to have a listen in situ also.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
cybot

Post by cybot »

Diapason wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:16 pm
cybot wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:54 pm How did you get on Simon?

Thanks Dermot. I had a very quick check of bringing things up to 2g. It didn't solve things, but it changed the sound a little, perhaps? Then the kids arrived home and that was that. One thing seems increasingly clear: this is primarily an inner-groove problem. All the worst examples are end-of-side songs.
No worries Simon. My gut feeling is the cartridge has to go and to very carefully assess your next move as it's not a simple matter of plug and play......

Also I take it that the records themselves are fine and not buggered by previous 'nails' 😱
That's the term Noel Cloney used for Linn's yellow beastie the K9. Wuff, wuff 🐶
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Records are all new. That doesn't mean they're "right" of course, just that if they're worn out they've been worn out by me in the space of a few weeks!

I probably agree about the cartridge, but before I go diving in I want to see and hear what's possible. Like I said above the most annoying thing is that when it's good it's great. I fundamentally really like the sound.
james

Post by james »

If it's just an inner groove problem then its just the nature of LP's. I always loved 'The Prophet' by Queen but it was the last track on side-1 and never sounded right. The record spins at a constant speed so the resolution is lower at the center of the record because the grooves are shorter. Also the arm has bigger tracking errors. You can fix (I am told) some of these problems with a parallel tracking arm. [I can now listen to 'The Prophet' on CD].
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]