Quadral Chromium Style 8

cybot

Re: Quadral Chromium Style 8

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 6:36 pm
cybot wrote: Sun May 21, 2017 1:18 am
Strange that, I just clicked on the link and it works fine. Those Yello videos you posted are a gas and they sound good as well.

Will listen to And I Love Her as ssssooonn as I get a chance.
Strange indeed!

Yello were de rigour for a complete system work out back in the day so I'm not surprised they sound good. The 12" were to die for. Unbelievable sonics. Boris Blank knew his way around the sonic field. And you're right the vids. are a gas!

Sssssssee you soon ;)
SSSSsssooooo I listened to And I Love Her and I have to ssssay, there was only word sung by Paul that I would regard as sibiliant and that word was Ssshee, but to my ears it is fairly well suppressed on my system. Every other word starting with 'S' like stars and sky were fine. I listened to it a couple of times and because you mentioned it, it wouldn't have bothered me too much if I didn't know in advance.

Talking about Yello reminded me that I had a 12'' single of The Race/Oh Yeah I also have two copies of the album The Race (UK and US and the UK is far superior to the US which just doesn't have the impact of the UK.

The Quadrals just deliver the 'kick' that the album has and the sound effects are so clearly defined in their own little space if you know what I mean.

I must keep an eye out for any 12'' singles or albums as listening to The Race made me realise why I bought it in the first place.

Ssssoo I have to get back to making the dinner as I dance around the kitchen listening to Yello. Ah it's great stuff, hard to believe this stuff was recorded so long ago. Sound just doesn't get any better than this.
[/quote

Yes that's the one! Ah it's not the worst I've heard but it's there.

Yello did a lot of 12". A lot! Happy hunting......and, believe it or not, they are still on the go! They brought out a new Lp last year called Toy. I didn't bother with it as I'm just too familiar with their stuff. I believe it's very good.

Listening to the Rory Gallagher's Beat Club sessions on glorious double vinyl at the moment and it's only stunning! Have a look at this:

Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

Dinner done and dusted.

I just I got it wrong about the Yello LP I have, of course I should have said Flag. Yeah I've seen Yello stuff around all right but just never bothered, you have piqued my interest in them again. I paid all of £5.49 all those years ago for Flag.

Meant to say... Boy! Those Mobile Fidelity Beatles LPs sound awful! Whoever thought they were the 'go to' versions at one time.

Yeah I've seen those Rory Gallagher 'Beat Club' videos but I didn't know it was out on vinyl (recently???).

So, now I have to go through my Rory Gallagher/Taste LPs and see how they sound on the Quadrals! I think I know already!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 7:05 pm Dinner done and dusted.

I just I got it wrong about the Yello LP I have, of course I should have said Flag. Yeah I've seen Yello stuff around all right but just never bothered, you have piqued my interest in them again. I paid all of £5.49 all those years ago for Flag.

Meant to say... Boy! Those Mobile Fidelity Beatles LPs sound awful! Whoever thought they were the 'go to' versions at one time.

Yeah I've seen those Rory Gallagher 'Beat Club' videos but I didn't know it was out on vinyl (recently???).

So, now I have to go through my Rory Gallagher/Taste LPs and see how they sound on the Quadrals! I think I know already!

As I said start with the first one, then Stella followed by The New Mix in One Go which is one of the best remixing jobs (by Boris) I've ever heard. Then go for the rest starting with Baby :)

The Gallagher sessions have been available for ages. Plus the Montreux sessions. Only trouble is Hoodoo Man is not on the vinyl.The inclusion of 'I Could Have Had Religion' makes up for it though.

https://www.discogs.com/Rory-Gallagher- ... se/3468381

Aye Rory Gallagher/Taste LPs should sound sweet on your doddery Quadral's - they're more than a month old now ;) Start with the Black Lp, then Live at the IOW double followed by Live in Europe Side One. Enjoy :)

BTW did you ever see him live?
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm As I said start with the first one, then Stella followed by The New Mix in One Go which is one of the best remixing jobs (by Boris) I've ever heard. Then go for the rest starting with Baby :)

The Gallagher sessions have been available for ages. Plus the Montreux sessions. Only trouble is Hoodoo Man is not on the vinyl.The inclusion of 'I Could Have Had Religion' makes up for it though.

Aye Rory Gallagher/Taste LPs should sound sweet on your doddery Quadral's - they're more than a month old now ;) Start with the Black Lp, then Live at the IOW double followed by Live in Europe Side One. Enjoy :)

Yes I did, saw him in the National Stadium on loads of occasions as far back as 1971/72. Always loved his gigs, he gave it everything. Taste - On The Boards is probably my all-time favourite. Talking about the Quadrals being old, I see Noel has a pair Castle Avon 5's for sale. They were only reviewed in Hi-Fi World in October 2015.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:54 pm
cybot wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 9:27 pm As I said start with the first one, then Stella followed by The New Mix in One Go which is one of the best remixing jobs (by Boris) I've ever heard. Then go for the rest starting with Baby :)

Yes I did, saw him in the National Stadium on loads of occasions as far back as 1971/72. Always loved his gigs, he gave it everything. Taste - On The Boards is probably my all-time favourite. Talking about the Quadrals being old, I see Noel has a pair Castle Avon 5's for sale. They were only reviewed in Hi-Fi World in October 2015.
Lucky sod! I only saw him the once, at the Guinness Blues Festival, resplendent in black. Spooky as I've never heard of him in black only those trademark checked shirts of his. Did you ever read the interview he gave before the concert? The Times I think. He knew his time was nearly up......You're right too, he gave it everything. Just watching him on the Beat Sessions or even the IOW gig would put many a current performer to shame. He was priceless and he leaves a massive void that will never be filled......in our lifetime anyway.

My favourites definitely include the first two Taste Lps plus his post Taste Lp which I never tire of. With Rory there shouldn't really be any favourites as most of his Lps are top notch anyway......

Yeah I've already mentioned the Avon's. Noel contacted me about them and my suspicions on the five globe but with reservations on the ribbon tweeter turned me off. So I passed on the demo. What did you think of the review?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Any chance of a pic of the Croft's connected to the Quadral's? Would love to see them :)

And as for that rarely seen/heard Croft Head mc phonostage? How did you find that one?
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:21 am Any chance of a pic of the Croft's connected to the Quadral's? Would love to see them :)

And as for that rarely seen/heard Croft Head mc phonostage? How did you find that one?
Firstly, I was very active in hifi at the time the Croft gear came on the scene, was impressed right from the start. I bought all the gear at once.

In actual fact buying the Croft gear and selling off all the Naim gear had such a positive effect on me, I got off the hifi train and started to buy more music. Since 1990 I have only changed the speakers. Will try and send a pic of the Crofts with the Quadrals.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 12:59 am
cybot wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 12:21 am Any chance of a pic of the Croft's connected to the Quadral's? Would love to see them :)

Firstly, I was very active in hifi at the time the Croft gear came on the scene, was impressed right from the start. I bought all the gear at once.

In actual fact buying the Croft gear and selling off all the Naim gear had such a positive effect on me, I got off the hifi train and started to buy more music. Since 1990 I have only changed the speakers. Will try and send a pic of the Crofts with the Quadrals.
Did Ken Kessler's review set you on your way? That's the way it happened with me. I spent a whole year demoing stuff after my beloved MF A100 integrated blew up ;( Around the time of Ken's timely review I was listening to some class A American amps (B&K?). Then I heard an Audio Innovations Series 500 integrated and I was blown away. Noel didn't have it in stock but he did have the Croft's. Long story short: I bought them :)

Going through a tweeter hating period at the moment. I've always thought they are a necessary evil. So I'm going to do something I shouldn't be doing knowing in advance the inevitable outcome. To hell and be damned!
Cyndale

Post by Cyndale »

cybot wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:08 pm
Did Ken Kessler's review set you on your way? That's the way it happened with me. I spent a whole year demoing stuff after my beloved MF A100 integrated blew up ;( Around the time of Ken's timely review I was listening to some class A American amps (B&K?). Then I heard an Audio Innovations Series 500 integrated and I was blown away. Noel didn't have it in stock but he did have the Croft's. Long story short: I bought them :)

Going through a tweeter hating period at the moment. I've always thought they are a necessary evil. So I'm going to do something I shouldn't be doing knowing in advance the inevitable outcome. To hell and be damned!
I always liked reading Ken Kessler's opinions/review, but it was to Martin Colloms/Noel Keywood/John Atkinson I turned to to get the 'real' deal on equipment because they gave you their valued opinion plus measurements. To me a lot of the reviewers over the years are just good writers giving their opinions.

Regarding the Croft equipment I just trusted what I heard for myself I had actually bought the preamp/headamp before I read any reviews. When I decided to go head on into Croft power amplifiers, Martin Colloms wonderful review tipped the balance, so I bought one Croft Series 4 power amp, about nine months later another Croft power amp came my way via a trade-in with Noel.

The Quadral loudspeaker on the far side in the pic is about 2 feet from the LPs on the shelves, it is giving the illusion that it is close up to wall.

Fifteen valves in each Croft Series 4 amplifier, 7 valves in Supermicro A preamp and 4 valves in head amplifier. The photos aren't great, sun shining into the room made them a bit hazy.
Attachments
hifi2.jpg
hifi2.jpg (110.51 KiB) Viewed 606 times
hifi1.jpg
hifi1.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 606 times
cybot

Post by cybot »

Cyndale wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm
cybot wrote: Wed May 24, 2017 3:08 pm

I always liked reading Ken Kessler's opinions/review, but it was to Martin Colloms/Noel Keywood/John Atkinson I turned to to get the 'real' deal on equipment because they gave you their valued opinion plus measurements. To me a lot of the reviewers over the years are just good writers giving their opinions.

Regarding the Croft equipment I just trusted what I heard for myself I had actually bought the preamp/headamp before I read any reviews. When I decided to go head on into Croft power amplifiers, Martin Colloms wonderful review tipped the balance, so I bought one Croft Series 4 power amp, about nine months later another Croft power amp came my way via a trade-in with Noel.

The Quadral loudspeaker on the far side in the pic is about 2 feet from the LPs on the shelves, it is giving the illusion that it is close up to wall.

Fifteen valves in each Croft Series 4 amplifier, 7 valves in Supermicro A preamp and 4 valves in head amplifier. The photos aren't great, sun shining into the room made them a bit hazy.
Ah Martin Collins, the man with the weird marking system :) Still he knew his stuff all told. Wonder what he's doing now?

Thanks for the pics. I see you're using the exact same target stand as myself :) The Quadral's look great as do the Croft's with their 41 valves between them! I also note the indents around the volume controls. Great idea. Mine has none but I get by anyway :)

Everything's back to normal here. I did the job just for peace of mind and reversed it after a brief listen. I'm happy now :)

Going to listen to one of my all time favourite guitarists before the football starts: Peter Green.....The last album I got of him was a live one with the Bluesbreakers which only came out last year. Still can't believe that someone captured him on stage back in the early 60's doing his stuff. To hear him live so early in his career is a gift.....