Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

jkeny

Re: Listening Session - Dacs/CDPs

Post by jkeny »

DaveF wrote:Since the Meitner has 2 coax inputs I'm going to connect both the Meridan & Arcam transports and play the same few tracks tonight. My thoughts on transports differing is not too far off my stance on power chords but I'll go ahead and do the comparison. Meitner's marketing spiel talks of removing jitter so in that case both spdifs should be the same?
Noise is one caveat but I'm not yet convinced of its affects. But lets see how I get on.
Great, should be interesting
As for the PC front end, well I didnt want that included on Sat as it would have introduced too many variables for me plus the problem of ripping CD tracks etc. I did try my own PC connected to the Devialet recently and while I had access to a vast amount of music online, I just found the experience of sitting there picking the tracks on the pc utterly souless. I got bored after an hour and disconnected. Sorry lads, I just cant warm to it yet. That said, I'm well up for someone to show me MQN on my system someday but it would have to be a pretty big improvement over CD/JRiver to make me consider it.
What I'd really want is a finished product, something like a NAS/Disk or Flash memory unit connected to the DAC and and being able to browse through tracks via an ipad/tablet from the couch. I don't want a PC/Monitor/keyboard/mouse or a variation of it in the equation at all.
Sure, I understand but you should just have a listen to a good PC setup, like Nige's or Tony's along with MQN & compare it to CD/JRiver just so you have evaluated the options. Controlling from iPad/Android/iPhone is the easy bit - don't worry about that.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Sure, I understand but you should just have a listen to a good PC setup, like Nige's or Tony's along with MQN & compare it to CD/JRiver just so you have evaluated the options. Controlling from iPad/Android/iPhone is the easy bit - don't worry about that.
Pearses pc is also excellent
as tony as failed to keep up with ongoing developments his pc is only level 2.5 and is in bad need of upgrading to the milestone picoless version level 5 :);)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Nigel, I didn't know you had a cruel streak, you've just ruined his holiday.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Ken Moreland wrote:Nigel, I didn't know you had a cruel streak, you've just ruined his holiday.
Well since he's bought most of the parts to do it already
And I'm pretty much lined up for much consultancy work anyway
Thought I might as well knock some crack out of it

That and he thinks David Byrne is better than Garth :()
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

We're all different, so it is good to have variety of things for everyone!
When I loaded JRiver for the first time (a year ago or so), I liked it a lot, especially interface and ability to use a phone or a pad to control it. Adam (sima66) introduced MQn to me so I kind of looked at it, do I really want to go backwards and do all this "crappy" work just to play music. Once I installed it and started it, I noticed that there was skip and stop option in it, and I thought, it's not so bad. Very soon, I was disappointed discovering that those options didn't work at all, and Gordon even took them away after awhile. What I liked a lot, was the SQ. I played music for months only by MQn, until I purchased Hugo, and I tried DSD format on it. To be able to play DSD files, I had 2 options JPlay or JRiver. As soon as I started using JRiver, I found myself doing nothing than jumping all over the place through my library using my phone, rather than listening to the music. Using MQn makes me to listen to an album from start to the end, very similar experience like a TT. I just got used to it, to the point that remote control of my phone doesn't mean a lot to me any more.These recent versions of MQn are so good, and it's hard to go for anything else beside it, once you try them. In the other hand, my wife is a big supporter of MQn too...))) I have to stand up and woke to my computer from time to time. She would comment, "at least some kind of exercise"!
Just my 2 cents regarding all this PC experience.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:
jkeny wrote:Sure, I understand but you should just have a listen to a good PC setup, like Nige's or Tony's along with MQN & compare it to CD/JRiver just so you have evaluated the options. Controlling from iPad/Android/iPhone is the easy bit - don't worry about that.
Pearses pc is also excellent
as tony as failed to keep up with ongoing developments his pc is only level 2.5 and is in bad need of upgrading to the milestone picoless version level 5 :);)
Sorry, yes, Pearse's PC is excellent - mucho apologies
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
tony

Post by tony »

Flight delayed here so time to surf. Shocked to see Brutus stabbing me in the back while still on Irish soil. You are on my ignore list until all the pico less parts arrive! Anyway all transports sound the same if competently
designed. Remind me to update my CA profile to L1.2 when I get back
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Flight delayed here so time to surf. Shocked to see Brutus stabbing me in the back while still on Irish soil. You are on my ignore list until all the pico less parts arrive! Anyway all transports sound the same if competently
designed. Remind me to update my CA profile to L1.2 when I get back
Apologies maybe my sense of humor needs adjusting
I thought it was funny
tony

Post by tony »

Hey keep up pfm is on a spat of ignoring people. I forgive you just make sure me level 4.2 is ready when I get back. Nothing wrong with your sense of humour it is the Garth issue that needs addressing. Talk to uncle Ken he will set you right
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

tony wrote:Hey keep up pfm is on a spat of ignoring people. I forgive you just make sure me level 4.2 is ready when I get back. Nothing wrong with your sense of humour it is the Garth issue that needs addressing. Talk to uncle Ken he will set you right
Pfm Is just simply something to ignore
Life's too short

My pc is a mess id better fix that first