What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Wonderful performances indeed....it has been a while so I must listen again soon.
These string quartets are not too difficult to get to grips with either. Unlike the Bartok ones. Those can be quite a challenge I feel.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
I was wondering whether our resident organist, Simon, was aware of this set and, if so, what does he think of it?
There is huge amount of material in this set. 16 discs actually instead of 14 I posted earlier. I listened to another disc this evening. If Simon could give pointers as to what particular works would be a good starting point, that would be much appreciated. :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

A very good point Dave....the Bartok are "more challanging" but repeated listening can aid that somewhat.
String quartets are, in general, I feel a somewhat overlooked genre as a lot of "pure" music is written for those four instruments that have quite similiar tonal ranges and textures so the challanges for the composer are difficult in terms of coming up with interesting and varied music.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:I was wondering whether our resident organist, Simon, was aware of this set and, if so, what does he think of it?
There is huge amount of material in this set. 16 discs actually instead of 14 I posted earlier. I listened to another disc this evening. If Simon could give pointers as to what particular works would be a good starting point, that would be much appreciated. :-)
Another good point, Dave. The reason that I was wondering whether Simon was aware of it was that I had started a conversation with him regarding JSB's organ works and my lack of knowledge thereof. He gave me a link to a recommendation for a number of discs/sets which I am still pondering as some of them are rather expensive.

The works that I was interested in pursuing were the Chorale Partitas of the Orgelbuchlein as they appear (to my very limited knowledge) to be the most accessible....possibly the place to start?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Today I listened to the only Wagner disc in my collection....

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:I was wondering whether our resident organist, Simon, was aware of this set and, if so, what does he think of it?
Another good point, Dave. The reason that I was wondering whether Simon was aware of it was that I had started a conversation with him regarding JSB's organ works and my lack of knowledge thereof. He gave me a link to a recommendation for a number of discs/sets which I am still pondering as some of them are rather expensive.

The works that I was interested in pursuing were the Chorale Partitas of the Orgelbuchlein as they appear (to my very limited knowledge) to be the most accessible....possibly the place to start?
I remember Simon being pretty unenthusiastic when I got the Foccroulle set of the complete Buxtehude organ works. I wasn't that keen myself when I listened to them (though they had been praised by critics) and found that I much preferred Bine Bryndorf for Buxtehude. She's good in Bach too. I have the Peter Hurford and the André Isoir sets of the complete Bach organ works, both of which I like. I also have several discs of organ music from the Hänssler Classic complete Bach edition, played by Kay Johansen and Bine Bryndorf.

I adore the set of six Trio Sonatas (BWV 525-530), I think they make a good starting point. Then the various works of the form X and Fugue, where X is usually `Prelude', but can be `Passacaglia', `Toccata' or `Fantasia'. The Passacaglia (and Fugue) in C is possibly the high point of Bach's organ work for me (unless it's the Trio Sonatas). I'm sure Simon has other, shall we say complementary, views!
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Ciaran wrote:
fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote: There is huge amount of material in this set. 16 discs actually instead of 14 I posted earlier. I listened to another disc this evening. If Simon could give pointers as to what particular works would be a good starting point, that would be much appreciated. :-)

I remember Simon being pretty unenthusiastic when I got the Foccroulle set of the complete Buxtehude organ works. I wasn't that keen myself when I listened to them (though they had been praised by critics) and found that I much preferred Bine Bryndorf for Buxtehude. She's good in Bach too. I have the Peter Hurford and the André Isoir sets of the complete Bach organ works, both of which I like. I also have several discs of organ music from the Hänssler Classic complete Bach edition, played by Kay Johansen and Bine Bryndorf.

I adore the set of six Trio Sonatas (BWV 525-530), I think they make a good starting point. Then the various works of the form X and Fugue, where X is usually `Prelude', but can be `Passacaglia', `Toccata' or `Fantasia'. The Passacaglia (and Fugue) in C is possibly the high point of Bach's organ work for me (unless it's the Trio Sonatas). I'm sure Simon has other, shall we say complementary, views!
Morning all! I don't know that particular set, although yer man Foccroulle has a good reputation. I have, in the past, found his playing a notch dull I think, but that's true of so many organ sets that it's almost not even worth saying. CDs of Bach's organ works have been transformed in the last 30 years or so by the historical performance movement, and tastes and ideas differ wildly. People get *really* passionate about this, and I'm no exception, but in many ways you don't want to listen to people like me! If you see a cheap set, buy it and see how you get on. The one on Brilliant is pretty good -- licensed from BIS and played by Hans Fagius. I've also been eyeing Marie-Claire Alain's set in Tower. It's very cheap now as well. Despite not being at the cutting edge of performance practice, and not the way I'd play this music myself, I still enjoy Herrick's playing on Hyperion. The Trio Sonatas are especially good.

So, to the music, there's a huge amount of quality music here, and even the lesser-known works contains some wonderful stuff. I'd probably start with a 3-pronged attack:

1. As Ciaran suggests, the Trio Sonatas BWV525-530. Music chock full of invention and marvellous counterpoint, but a joy to the ear as well, and full of fun. The 3 separate lines of music should be clearly identifiable (one each in the hands, each on a separate manual, and one line in the pedals), and listening to each line and how it contributes to the whole will give an appreciation for the whole genre, and provide a great jumping-off point for Bach's other works.

2. The chorale preludes. There are loads and loads and loads, but I suggested to Fergus before that he might start with the Orgelbuchlein (BWV599-644), mainly because they're short and come in bite-sized chunks. Of course, sometimes you don't want to eat a bag of sweets, you'd prefer to have a plate of food. In that case, the more extended chorales provide something a bit more substantial. I'd recommend BWV654 - Schmuecke dich, o liebe Seele, BWV659 - Nun komm, der Heiden Heiland, and BWV662-664 - Allein Gott in der Höh' sei Ehr' in three different settings. Just to point out, Fergus, the Chorale Partitas are larger-scale works again, something along the lines of a theme and variations in each case. Also well worth a listen.

3. The Preludes, Toccatas, Passacaglia and Fugues. These are Bach's masterworks, the centrepiece of the organ repertory, and (IMO) some of the greatest music ever written irrespective of instrumentation or period. It might take time to grow to love them, but the more you listen the more you hear, and the more that seems to be going on. I'd start with the "Dorian" Toccata and Fugue in D minor BWV 538, Fantasia and Fugue in G minor BWV542 (especially the Fugue), Prelude & Fugue in A minor BWV 543, Toccata, Adagio & Fugue in C BWV564 and, finally, when you think you're ready, the Passacaglia, BWV582. Incidentally, if you come back on here telling me you don't like the Passacaglia, expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth!!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Some great pointers above Simon. Thanks very much.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Thanks again Simon....much to contemplate there....I hope that 2010 will be the year that I venture down this road, no matter how challanging.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Paganini – Violin Concerto No. 2 played by Ilya Kaler, Polish National Radio SO/Gunzenhauser [Naxos]

Villa-Lobos – Concerto for Guitar & small orchestra played by John Williams, English Chamber Orchestra/Barenboim [Sony]