MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:uploaded play v186 and loader v44
saw an ms article that said the default device buffer size was 10ms and win 10 allows the driver to select different sizes (the driver would have to be rewritten for this). Interesting as not many players allow the selection of 441 samples which is 10ms for 16/44.1. Somehow we identified 10ms as sounding best for mqn, which makes sense as the internal and device buffer are then aligned and no compensation code needs to run.

http://video.ch9.ms/sessions/winhec/201 ... %2010.pptx
Still have my Thesycon USB buffer settings at 2 ms and also the TimerResolution at 2 ms.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

sbgk wrote: what do you think of the non haswell version ?
Tried everything possible to run it - no success.
Is there any guide to play these new builds?
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

John Dot wrote:
thought someone kindly posted a guide a couple of pages back
randytsuch

Post by randytsuch »

sbgk wrote:
John Dot wrote:
You can look at my blog page
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.com/20 ... setup.html

I also was able to get the mqnflac batch file working, but I had to make some changes to it to make it look like the current mqn batch file.

I put the info for this in my blog too.

I just updated to play 191, loader 44 and control 65. Sounds really nice to me.
MSI H81-P33 MB, Xeon E3-1225 V3, LPS/LIFEPO4 and Astron RS-12A, 240gb SSD music, 2nd SSD for OS, Mod SS PCIE USB card, Server2012 R2 Ess+AO+MQn, Amanero USB to DACEND ES9018 to Schiit Lyr amp to Senn HD 700 headphones
goon-heaven

Post by goon-heaven »

randytsuch wrote:
sbgk wrote:
John Dot wrote: Tried everything possible to run it - no success.

I also was able to get the mqnflac batch file working, but I had to make some changes to it to make it look like the current mqn batch file.

Hello, after a little absence, I would like to try listen to the win10 sse4 version. I dont see MQn.bat in main download directory. What should I use?
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

goon-heaven wrote:
Hello, after a little absence, I would like to try listen to the win10 sse4 version. I dont see MQn.bat in main download directory. What should I use?

In the Archive (instead of Main) directory on Google drive, there is still a MQN v2.bat
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Are those latest MQn versions still "device specific" and need to be "adapted"?

Can anyone post the "magical folder" with all the files needed and ready to play........if that is still possible?
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

randytsuch wrote:

Thank you for such elegant guide, unfortunately it works only with the older sse4 builds. New v174 crashes every time. Really, I tried every possible way to run it (I hope not).
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

Gordon what a ride
Man I think you did it
Thank you and Happy New Year
Attachments
Newest MQn.jpg
Newest MQn.jpg (28.76 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
satshanti

Post by satshanti »

I've been away for a while, but have followed developments now and again in the past year. There are 2 main reasons why I stopped participating in the evaluation: little time, mainly listening to hirez files and having no Haswell CPU. :-(

For serious listening I still only use a by now very old hirez combo: play 3.39 avx (control 3.61 512).
My last 16/44 reference was a magnificent avx version especially made for amd cpu's: 6.15 avx amd (control 3.64).

Yesterday I decided to try the latest sse4 versions: v174v58v35 and that was indeed an amazing experience. Unfortunately I can't A/B compare this to my hirez reference without restarting my computer, but I have done so with the 16/44 reference, with the following result:

The latest version is MUCH better at definition, accuracy and fidelity of soundstage and timbre. It has amazing detail retrieval.
On my system, the old AMD reference however still beats it in PRAT, foot-tapping liveliness and timing, a kind of euphonic blending of harmonies that's very compelling.

In the past sse versions have not been that good on my system, so considering the qualities that are now present in the latest sse4 version, I really wonder what a dedicated AMD avx version could do.

I have no idea how much work it would be, Gordon, but I would be very interested in trying out the latest version optimized for an AMD CPU with avx1, as you have occasionally created in the past.

Thanks for all the great work you've done so far and also a happy new year to everyone!
uwtfplay on AMD FX8120@1600 RAM@800 FSB@1200 | AQ Jitterbug | Atlas Element USB cable | HiFimeDIY Sabre DAC 2 | NVA Super Sound Pipe | SMSL sApII headphone amp | AKG K702 (or HiFimeDIY UD20 DDX amp | Anti-Cable | Celestion DL6-II)