Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

On a day I'm supposed to be saturating my senses with things Jimi (I am!), Rory is shouting 'Move over Jimi and let Rory take over' :-) This double DVD set is simply sensational and is the finest release since his untimely passing. The first disc was already aired during the summer but it's the second disc from the Beat Club sessions that blows me away with material from his live repetoire at the time ('71-'72) covering the Black album, Live in Europe and others plus a sensational instrumental thrown into the bargain! I've never seen him so fired up and really enjoying the occasion. Minus points? The sound's not top notch but is perfectly adequate and the er, strange stage/backdrops etc which are so of their time. Although I loved the photo montages of the band on the screen behind the band.

1. Laundromat
2. Hands Up
3. Sinnerboy
4. Just The Smile
5. I Don't Know Where I'm Going
6. I Could've Had Religion
7. Used To Be
8. In Your Town
9. Should've Learned My Lesson
10. Crest Of A Wave
11. Toredown
12. Messin With The KId
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: Lucky you :) Have you still got them?
Not sure actually....could be buried deep in the attic somewhere....where no human will venture!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote: Lucky you :) Have you still got them?
Not sure actually....could be buried deep in the attic somewhere....where no human will venture!!
LOL Nice turn of phrase there Fergus :-)
cybot

Post by cybot »

PRESS :

"Ahmed's sound is gorgeous and spare, simple and spacious, darkly emotional and sweetly mournful." -Aquarius

"These are songs as empty vessels, formlessness defined, a Byzantine route to mood." – Other Music

"These primitive recordings house some remarkably beautiful sounds, largely focused on Ahmed's solo guitar playing and mournfully howling voice." - Boomkat

"It's the music of wind-swept steppes, barren plains and snow-laden conifer trees. It's primordial and yet forward-thinking, a music for all civilizations seen through one lost soul's eyes. It's timeless and hypnotic, challenging and emotionally pure. It's essential, simple as."
- Julian Cope's Head Heritage
Derek

Post by Derek »

TRACKLISTING

1. Lover, Lover, Lover
2. Bird on the Wire
3. Chelsea Hotel
4. Heart With No Companion
5. That Don't Make It Junk
6. Waiting For The Miracle
7. Avalanche
8. Suzanne
9. The Partisan
10. Famous Blue Raincoat
11. Hallelujah
12. Closing Time

CD & DVD a great night in with a nice little back stage bonus
Super packagea wee link to his site
NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

JAW

Post by JAW »

Not listening to this now, but it was available on the audio channel flying home from holiday. I don't know when I last listened to it, but a lot of it still stands up really well and Bernie Taupin is on top of his game, some gritty topics dealt with on All the Young Girls Love Alice, Social Disease and Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting, the crowd pleasers like Bennie and the Jets, Candle in the Wind and the title track, as well as the small ambition in my favourite track, Roy Rogers - "The carpets all paid for, God Bless the TV". Going to dig out my vinyl copy at the weekend and give it another go.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jadarin wrote:Image
It's bloody good isn't it?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

Ivor wrote:
jadarin wrote:Image
It's bloody good isn't it?
Great band that always come up with the goods.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Earlier posts prompted me to give this another listen....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra