What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

Brahms:
Cello Sonata No.1
Isserlis/ Hough
Live at Wigmore Hall (2005)

A magnificent performance really; understandably not as refined as the studio version on Hyperion, but a breathtakingly frenetic and passionate performance from both masters.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Copland - Appalachian Spring (Zubin Mehta, Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra, Decca)

bombasticDarren

J.S. Bach - Motet BWV 230 Lobet den Herrn, alle Heiden, BWV 229 Komm, Jesu, komm & BWV 226 Der Geist hilft unser Schwachheit auf (John Eliot Gardiner, Monteverdi Choir, Soli Deo Gloria)

jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Jared wrote:
jaybee wrote:I know it doesn't get the best reviews ever, but I had to replace this disc after it went walkabout, and I do see where people are coming from in parts, but, , certainly in my book, this reading is the superlative, if for nothing else than the Rex Tremendae.... It blew me away all over again

I can barely listen to the Harnoncourt Rex..... way too clipped
Karajan's Mozart Requiem has long been critically acclaimed JB, and it will continue to be so. This is a subject and debate we have talked about a lot over the past few years, so I will say no more, but I think we are mostly in agreeance that having at least one of the finest examples of HIP and traditional performance of large scale choral works is a good thing, for a rounded appreciation of the piece.

and for what it's worth JB, I am interested in your comment about Harnoncourt, because that is how I also often feel about him, and consequently don't own too many of his recordings.
I'm sure clipped isn't the correct term, but if youve heard the rex tremendae on this version you'll know what I mean

I was going to say staccato for Harnoncourt as opposed to legato in HvK, but I'm not 100% that that translates correctly for vocals!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I've not heard that version, JB... my favourite HIP-oriented versions are the Gardiner and the Marriner with AoSMitF, which for me seems to stand the test of time...
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

Jared wrote:^^ I've not heard that version, JB... my favourite HIP-oriented versions are the Gardiner and the Marriner with AoSMitF, which for me seems to stand the test of time...
I have those two also, I think I prefer the Gardiner, the Solti 200th Anniversary performance is interesting also, for a contextual rendering within the liturgy...
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
bombasticDarren

Walton - Symphony No.1 (Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI)

Jared

Post by Jared »

Brahms:
Alto Rhapsody
Christianne Stotijn
BBC NOW/ Jac Van Steen

My goodness, if you aren't moved by this piece, then you don't own a pulse...

...it sends shivers down my spine.
bombasticDarren

Schubert - Symphony No.5 (Leonard Bernstein, Concertgebouw Orchestra, Deutsche Grammophon)

Jared

Post by Jared »

Brahms:
Marienlieder (Op.22)
Simon Joly/ BBC Singers