What are you listening to?

Diapason

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Diapason »

Jared wrote:^^ how many attempts have you given them, Simon?
Only 2 or 3 attempts of the disc with L'Apres Midi d'Un Faune and La Mer on it.

I like it well enough, but I think I know the problem I have with lots of Debussy discs. You know the way he said that in his piano music you should imagine a piano without hammers? Well with his orchestral works, I personally want to imagine an orchestra without a conductor. Maybe that's why I enjoy cheaper recordings I have with unknowns conducting. Martinon is good, but I hear too much 'drive it on here' kinda moments, and I don't always feel as if the music is unfolding organically in front of me.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ that's an interesting pint of view, and one I will try to bear in mind.

I think the way into Debussy for me may ultimately be through his piano works, because it sure as heck isn't through his orchestral...

before that however, I think I shall attempt to acquaint myself better with some of his other contemporary French composers, perhaps during 2013.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Xenakis: Tetras

Onslow: SQ 30

Ravel: Introduction and allegro. Debussy: Sonata for Flute, Viola and Harp.

Shostakovich: SQ 13
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

One-to-a-part, just 14 musicians, and it sounds WONDERFUL!
Dane

Post by Dane »

Hope it's ok to give a bit of a report on this in case anyone is interested in
Previn's recording of this work. He made two, the first on RCA back in
1966 and later for Telarc. The Telarc is more laid back and hasn't quite the
bite of the RCA. The LP achieved fame as a hi-fi demo in its day so I'm told.

RCA reissued the work on CD in the 1980s. Great. Except that the sound
is a bit brittle. It sounds ok through speakers but good hedphones show
up the distortion.

In the 90s the original was remastered in 24/96. Somehow, I wouldn't
even care to speculate how, that sonic edginess has gone. It can't be
"more accurate" because it's still in 16bit on the CD to conform to standards.
Far more detail shows through. I was sceptical at first but no, it is better.
Perhaps the act of remastering tightened the transients or something.

The disc also contains a good recording of the Viola Concerto with
Yuri Mashmet. I hadn't heard him until now. Intonation is excellent and his
forward presence in the recording is as it should be, his right hand side
facing the microphone.

So, should anyone be interested in RCA's recording, watch out for this one.
There's a chance it could appear in the UK eventually. It's available
from a marketplace seller for c £14 but hopefully it will turn up cheaper.

Bests, all. :)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Today is the first Sunday of Advent. This means two things; firstly, Christmas is on the way and secondly that it is the beginning of the Liturgical year. The latter means only one thing for me personally namely Bach cantatas! Now these works can obviously be played at any time but for me I like to play each one on the appropriate day for which it was written. They have a special place in my musical work and I think are a great way for those wanting to explore the “imposing and difficult” world of JS Bach. These relatively short works (mostly) are neither imposing nor difficult but relatively simple works that are very pleasing and accessible.
This morning I am listening to one of the appropriate cantatas written for this day, BWV 62. It is a beautiful work full of joy and anticipation. Here it is sung by, for me personally, some of the strongest forces recording the Bach cantatas in modern times....

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

If I were still an organist, it would be wall-to-wall 'Nun Komm, der Heiden Heiland' this morning. There are just so many wonderful settings of that chorale.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Today is the first Sunday of Advent. This means two things; firstly, Christmas is on the way and secondly that it is the beginning of the Liturgical year. The latter means only one thing for me personally namely Bach cantatas! Now these works can obviously be played at any time but for me I like to play each one on the appropriate day for which it was written. They have a special place in my musical work and I think are a great way for those wanting to explore the “imposing and difficult” world of JS Bach. These relatively short works (mostly) are neither imposing nor difficult but relatively simple works that are very pleasing and accessible.
This morning I am listening to one of the appropriate cantatas written for this day, BWV 62. It is a beautiful work full of joy and anticipation. Here it is sung by, for me personally, some of the strongest forces recording the Bach cantatas in modern times....

I love it. I have the Herreweghe/Collegium Vocale Gent recording, it makes one feel good to be alive.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Diapason wrote: If I were still an organist, it would be wall-to-wall 'Nun Komm, der Heiden Heiland' this morning. There are just so many wonderful settings of that chorale.
What, pray tell, has brought about this misfortune?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

I've just finished listening to glorious Gloria on Lyric.