MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
LowOrbit

Re: MQN

Post by LowOrbit »

I shall have another listen to 2.66 V3 this evening. My first impression was - yes it's a bit bright - but not that I couldn't live with (except a few albums with savage treble anyway). V2 - on first listen - sounded both more musical and detailed, with better separation. I think the bass is a bit flabby in the bottom octave or two, but not too bad.

What optimisations are people running on W8? I tried the CAD script but it stopped MQn running at all. I do have firewall shut off, networking disabled and I run Windows 7 shell. I also have SGBK's recommended clock setting in the registry.

Contemplating going for W8.1...

Mark
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Aleg wrote: @JC:
Know of any specific OS-setting that cause this sharpeness?
I used just CAD's optimiser on top of a new 2012-R2 which has switched off firewall, etc.
I think I still have HPET turned on in BIOS.

Cheers

Aleg
tones OS of settings cause harshness!
-not disabling dynamic disk.
-disabling logging services (processes will still attempt to log but services not available. exceptions & un-handled exceptions everywhere)
-not using aero in win7 (need aero to offload GPU process from CPU)
-disabling cache font services
-using cleartype (consume more CPU cycle than not using it)
-firewall, virus-scan
-not disabling DEP
-disable too many services

another 100 of tweaks you have be harshness-free. haha...
Peter Stockwell

Post by Peter Stockwell »

cvrle59 wrote:Did you try to copy files straight from JRiver and paste them into MQn.bat? I do it all the time. I like JRIver's GUI, and it's very convenient rather than moving around through folders with explorer. If you notice somewhere back in the thread, I posted how to activate HotKey, so I do not even leave JRiver at all, I call MQn.bat by HotKey straight from where ever I copy files from.
I can do that ? copy the files directly from JRiver ?? I fiddle about with explorer, etc. The Hotkey sounds like a good idea, though.
Cubox-i2/Volumio/Meridan G68ADV/2 x Amptastic mini-1/Custom Hifi Cables DC3 psu/Audium Comp 5
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Well, lots of thing to check then ;-/

I just disabled HPET and onboard Audio in my BIOS, and I do actually believe it removes some of the over-the-top sharpness.

I have to relisten to some of the music I listened to earlier this afternoon and see if I'm not kidding myself. It is still more sharpish than V2 but I think somewhat more reduced than before.

Fascinating :-)

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sima66

Post by sima66 »

jesuscheung wrote:
I used just CAD's optimiser on top of a new 2012-R2 which has switched off firewall, etc.

Cheers

Aleg
-disabling logging services (processes will still attempt to log but services not available. exceptions & un-handled exceptions everywhere)
-firewall, virus-scan
-not disabling DEP

I guess that we need "JC Script of PC optimization". ;-)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sima66 wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:

Cheers

Aleg
-firewall, virus-scan
-not disabling DEP

I guess that we need "JC Script of PC optimization". ;-)
maybe i will do a script one day... too lazy...
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

Peter Stockwell wrote:
cvrle59 wrote:Did you try to copy files straight from JRiver and paste them into MQn.bat? I do it all the time. I like JRIver's GUI, and it's very convenient rather than moving around through folders with explorer. If you notice somewhere back in the thread, I posted how to activate HotKey, so I do not even leave JRiver at all, I call MQn.bat by HotKey straight from where ever I copy files from.
I can do that ? copy the files directly from JRiver ?? I fiddle about with explorer, etc. The Hotkey sounds like a good idea, though.
Go back to page 25, 3rd post from the top, by me....
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
Clive

Post by Clive »

I'm with most listeners of 2.66. v3 is very good with just a trace of extra treble and v2 is just a little relaxed. It's close but long-term listening would be better with v2.
adolfo.a.aguiar

Post by adolfo.a.aguiar »

Aleg wrote:Well, lots of thing to check then ;-/

I just disabled HPET and onboard Audio in my BIOS, and I do actually believe it removes some of the over-the-top sharpness.

I have to relisten to some of the music I listened to earlier this afternoon and see if I'm not kidding myself. It is still more sharpish than V2 but I think somewhat more reduced than before.

Cheers

Aleg
It seems that disabling HPET only in the bios has no effect.
See: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/10757 ... e-and-fps/

Adolfo
SDTrans384 with 1X5V and 3x3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Soekris DAM1021 Rev2 with +-12V and 3.3V supplied by A123 batteries, Salas hotrodded DCB1, LM3875 Gainclone and IPL Acoustics S2TLM transmission line speakers
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

adolfo.a.aguiar wrote:
Aleg wrote:Well, lots of thing to check then ;-/

Cheers

Aleg
It seems that disabling HPET only in the bios has no effect.
See: http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/10757 ... e-and-fps/

Adolfo
Adolfo thanks for reminding me of that.
I just created a new 2012 R2 installation and forgot useplatformclock is not enabled by default.
Switching HPET in BIOS does have an effect, but turning it on in BIOS and not setting useplatformclock means it does not use HPET only but a mixture of clocks.

I wiil look at some combinations (in the meantime I already had turned HPET back on, but left onboard Audio off), now I will compare with and without useplatformclock.

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.