MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

nige2000 wrote:
taggart wrote:
sbgk wrote:anyone interested in the uptone usb regen, looks interesting.
Yes, very interesting! Have ordered one but have to wait - estimated delivery date is late june.
I wonder if that tiny box can replace external USB cards at all or if one still need an external JCAT/PP USB card and the REGEN adds its positive influence up to them!?
Will report when I have it.
Christoph
Not overly excited
I'm sure it works but
Doubt it will match performance of USB cards and with a few losses in cabling
but on the sales end its got a much larger market cause it will be compatible with all devices with USB phones nucs laptops PC
Saw a coment saying they had discovered some effect by putting a resistor on the usb ground, ssomeone tried 5.5 ohm and said it made a difference
taggart

Post by taggart »

nige2000 wrote:Not overly excited
I'm sure it works but
Doubt it will match performance of USB cards and with a few losses in cabling
but on the sales end its got a much larger market cause it will be compatible with all devices with USB phones nucs laptops PC
I think you'll be right, but if it betters the sound in combination with a USB card, it would be nice as well.
sbgk wrote:Saw a coment saying they had discovered some effect by putting a resistor on the usb ground, ssomeone tried 5.5 ohm and said it made a difference
First batch were 95 devices without resistors. These are already delivered. Starting with the second batch they are delivered with the addtitional resistors.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Sure sounds wrong, though.

I am sure it would make a difference - just what kind?

Seems a clumsy way to give some isolation but there has to be a better way. One can not get around improving the power supplies which would have to be superior.

If adding a resistor improves the sound in nige2000's system I would have to take this more seriously.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:Sure sounds wrong, though.

Seems a clumsy way to give some isolation but there has to be a better way. One can not get around improving the power supplies which would have to be superior.

If adding a resistor improves the sound in nige2000's system I would have to take this more seriously.
signifies a noise issue
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
taggart

Post by taggart »

nige2000 wrote:

signifies a noise issue
Isn't all about noise? If I would have a music system without any unwanted noise and with 100% of the wanted signal, so that would be the moment I would stop developing my system any further.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

taggart wrote:
nige2000 wrote:

signifies a noise issue
Isn't all about noise? If I would have a music system without any unwanted noise and with 100% of the wanted signal, so that would be the moment I would stop developing my system any further.
my comment was specific the resistor in question
resistors are used as a clumsy way of isolating

in this case the noisy gnd from the pc getting into the dac
so its effect will depend on which is the lesser evil the resistor or the pc noise

has this yoke not got isolator chips?

anyway its easy to try a resistor on gnd on the usb
if it works well id be looking to solve the issue rather than a quick botch
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
dannyhc

Post by dannyhc »

Would someone be so kind to Hex edit my device info on the latest and greatest of MQN?

It's been a long time between drinks and now that I'm sporting a Haswell-E I should be able to get this going once again.

My brain runs out of processing power when trying to follow the instructions on page 650 and to be honest I don't even know what the difference is between mqncontrol and mqnloader and what is now required.

C:\musicplayer>mqndevinfo
\\?\usb#vid_0b05&pid_17a8&mi_00#6&3269315f&0&0000#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\spkout00wave0

My Gigabyte Gaming G1 X99 motherboard cuts the power to the USB DAC UP USB port and this alone has made an incredible difference!

Thanking you all in advance for your amazing efforts.
DJ le Roi

Post by DJ le Roi »

What is considered to be the best MQN non-Haswell version?
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

have made another step forward, so think this is the end for SQ, shall get the multi file working and a non haswell version out and yes, it is the best most detailed version I've heard.

In the meantime here is how to build a dac according to xmos

http://www.xmos.com/applications/audio/ ... ng-started
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

Gordon yes please make it for non Haswell
Thank you
Where we can download your newest?