Build a dedicated Audio PC

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Build a dedicated Audio PC

Post by Fran »

Claus, you shouldn't need anything other than the basic version of W8. Usually the higher end version have more nusiness type tools included and maybe windows media centre etc - none of which you will be needing....

And see my PM....

Ken - next time!!!

Everyone else - I'm looking forward to it all now!!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Claus

Post by Claus »

Took me a bit of messing before I got the ISO to copy to USB stick. But once that was done the install went very smoothly and fast. I had it up and running but then ran into a problem late last night with displaying on my TV. Will look into it today and download jplay and drivers. Is there a sticky somewhere with tweaks to windows?

Here is a few pics from the build:

I have no clue what the little hatch is for. Also as you can see there is space for a standard size SSD in the case and connector is included. A detailed manual would be very handy as I still not sure what the green connector on the back is for...The power supply should have been ordered separately, which I think is a bit unclear from the minipc.de website. But otherwise the quality and service has been excellent....
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Claus, nice looking build - how does the case look in the flesh - industrial or lounge-friendly?

The green mini-board is an mSata riser which would seem to connect into your existing mSata slot & come up through the hatch for connecting to a standard Sata drive in the bay. At least that's what I make of it.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Looks good Claus - it'll be very interesting to see how it and john's nuc fare out tomorrow night.

Fran
Claus

Post by Claus »

It is up and running! Jaysus I can't get my head around this Windows 8 GUI!!! But.... Just had a semi-religous experience with Rising High Water Blues! And this is with JKDAC, no Ciunas!
Now for the tweaking!
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ultrastream/ultrasize woes

Got a Ciunas yesterday, but i could not get low us at all (<160us) last night, but since it took me a half hour to get it to play at all, one of the reasons begin i forgot to turn the dac on. i assumed it was because i was tired and stupid and it was time to pack it in for the night.

tonight im getting variable results working at us = 120 for some tracks some of the time, others at 140 us and so on, im not seeing much of a pattern
even set up the build i brought down to Ken Morelands that got us = 30, and got same results

pulling my hair out, only consoling factor is the ciunas sounds much better than my rpac at us=30, at any ultrasize

john have you changed anything since you made Kens ciunas?

ive done loads of reboots and uninstalls and reinstalls and tried changing the usb a-b cable to a a-b adapter with no change in results

if were going to compare ultrasizes tomorrow we might have to use pearses meitner
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Claus wrote:It is up and running! Jaysus I can't get my head around this Windows 8 GUI!!! But.... Just had a semi-religous experience with Rising High Water Blues! And this is with JKDAC, no Ciunas!
Now for the tweaking!
Theres a fair bit of getting used to on the windows 8, but its fine when you do

i only found a few tweaks that were worth doing.
firewall, defender, indexing,high performance power settings, disable cpu turbo in bios
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Claus - it takes a bit of getting used to alright. There's a bunch of video's on you tube worth watching.

Nigel: when I had the ciunas here I couldn't get much below 100.... John might know what other people are getting?

Fran
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

im sure i had it at us= 30 in Kens , just cant understand why i cant reach it now, might try a fresh os if i get a chance
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

nige2000 wrote:ultrastream/ultrasize woes

Got a Ciunas yesterday, but i could not get low us at all (<160us) last night, but since it took me a half hour to get it to play at all, one of the reasons begin i forgot to turn the dac on. i assumed it was because i was tired and stupid and it was time to pack it in for the night.

tonight im getting variable results working at us = 120 for some tracks some of the time, others at 140 us and so on, im not seeing much of a pattern
even set up the build i brought down to Ken Morelands that got us = 30, and got same results

pulling my hair out, only consoling factor is the ciunas sounds much better than my rpac at us=30, at any ultrasize

john have you changed anything since you made Kens ciunas?

ive done loads of reboots and uninstalls and reinstalls and tried changing the usb a-b cable to a a-b adapter with no change in results

if were going to compare ultrasizes tomorrow we might have to use pearses meitner
No changes, Nige
I too have been unable to get anything reliably under 200 which is now my default US setting. I too thought that it was just my hardware/drivers/etc & was hoping to discover what was the secret sauce to achieving the US 30 (& possibly less) in Fran's. Maybe you can double check with Ken if the 30 figure was achieved with the Ciúnas that time?
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.