Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
stigpepper

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by stigpepper »

jadarin thanks for recommending this album it is a cracker. It is amazing that it was even made after what Roky has been through just goes to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel no matter what life throws at you.
stigpepper

Post by stigpepper »

JAW

Post by JAW »

One of those albums that sometimes fits perfectly!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote:
DaveF wrote:Nick Drake, Pink Moon
Well Dave have you cracked Nick's muse yet? People think it's his most depressing album until they hear Black Eyed Dog......one of his last 5 songs. Me, I think it's a remarkable achievement when you take into account that his mind was
so far gone that he couldn't play and sing at the same time....
sorry cybot, dunno how I missed this post. Yeah I've listened to all 3 albums a fair few times now. Five Leaves Left is probably the one I like best followed by Pink Moon. I'm not too sure about the 2nd album yet, something about it that I just can get handle on. I think perhaps its that I like the simpler arrangments of the music in the other 2 albums. But its early days yet. I've also introduced a friend of mine to Drake's music and he has taken a liking to it.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
cybot wrote:
DaveF wrote:Nick Drake, Pink Moon
Well Dave have you cracked Nick's muse yet? People think it's his most depressing album until they hear Black Eyed Dog......one of his last 5 songs. Me, I think it's a remarkable achievement when you take into account that his mind was
so far gone that he couldn't play and sing at the same time....
sorry cybot, dunno how I missed this post. Yeah I've listened to all 3 albums a fair few times now. Five Leaves Left is probably the one I like best followed by Pink Moon. I'm not too sure about the 2nd album yet, something about it that I just can get handle on. I think perhaps its that I like the simpler arrangments of the music in the other 2 albums. But its early days yet. I've also introduced a friend of mine to Drake's music and he has taken a liking to it.
Hello Dave! I'm in total agreement with you as regards the Bryter Later album even though it does contain some vintage Nick Drake songs.In my opinion they're on the wrong album! The sunny, ever so slightly commercial feel of Bryter just doesn't do it for me and I don't think it ever will....Have you sampled any of the other posthumous collections yet? I would recommend 'Time of No Reply' to start off with anyway even though it doesn't contain the very last song he sang ('Tow the Line') but no matter it's still one of my favourite Nick albums... Anyway I hope your friend enjoys the journey.
cybot

Post by cybot »

stigpepper wrote:Image
What's your favourite Sabs album stig ? Me, all I can say I loved the first three all those years ago and still do...I remember you couldn't get decent sounding Sabs vinyl for love or money and now they are everywhere! What do you think of the remasters with the totally unnecessary extra material?

Favourite BS tracks in no particular order:

1.Sleeping Village/Warning

2.Planet Caravan (with Bill Ward doing the vocals!)

3.War Pigs

4.Behind the Wall of Sleep

5.Paranoid

6.Fairies Wear Boots

7.Solitude

8.Into the Void

9.Embro (especially the lovely feedback coda)

10.Hand of Doom
Last edited by cybot on Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

stigpepper wrote:jadarin thanks for recommending this album it is a cracker. It is amazing that it was even made after what Roky has been through just goes to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel no matter what life throws at you.
No problem at all Stig.Glad your enjoying the album.
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
jadarin

Post by jadarin »

[quote="cybot"]Listen to drummer Georgia's vocals on the clip below and die :) BTW anybody who doesn't own this is really missing something, believe me....

Sounds great.Must have a look out for this.A great band that I haven't listened to in a while.
cybot

Post by cybot »

A Christmas present from my kid sister way back in '75... still amazing after all these years :)