What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by cybot »

All vinyl, all Tower...

Miffed to discover it's only a single Lp :(

I nearly chocked when I saw this one....David Sylvian and some of his band are on it!
Plus he sings two new songs!!!!!! Actually after having a quick peek they are spoken
word vignettes and sound fantastic....

Finally after all these wishfilled years :)

Wow! Have never ever seen a copy of this before! John Mayall's third in the Bluesbreakers
tradition featuring a fledgling Rolling Stone, Mick Taylor. Plus it's in Mono too :)))
Last edited by cybot on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Ta Dermot.
Looking forward to grabbing this one ....
[quote="cybot"]All vinyl, all Tower...

I nearly chocked when I saw this one....David Syvian and some of his band are on it!
Plus he sings two new songs.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
cybot

Post by cybot »

Gerry D wrote:Ta Dermot.
Looking forward to grabbing this one ....
cybot wrote:All vinyl, all Tower...

I nearly chocked when I saw this one....David Syvian and some of his band are on it!
Plus he sings two new songs.
Beware Gerry! David actually recites his own poetry on what I thought were two new songs. But....he sounds fantastic! Also I'm sure there's at least one more copy in stock in Tower...
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

[/quote]

Beware Gerry! David actually recites his own poetry on what I thought were two new songs. But....he sounds fantastic! Also I'm sure there's at least one more copy in stock in Tower...[/quote]

Ah sure I'll give it a whirl anyway.
I notice that He's playing at The Royal Albert Hall in March next.
Might try to get to it.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
cybot

Post by cybot »

Gerry D wrote:
Beware Gerry! David actually recites his own poetry on what I thought were two new songs. But....he sounds fantastic! Also I'm sure there's at least one more copy in stock in Tower...[/quote]

Ah sure I'll give it a whirl anyway.
I notice that He's playing at The Royal Albert Hall in March next.
Might try to get to it.[/quote]

Go for it Gerry! I saw him in Vicar St. back in '08 and it was a magnificent gig :) Though you do have to be a fan, but that goes without saying....
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party : Love Songs
cybot

Post by cybot »

dhyantyke wrote:Image

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party : Love Songs
Recognised the label straight away :) BTW have you seen this one: Available from Boomkat...

Boomkat product review for:
Various - Music From Saharan Cellphones
'Music From Saharan Cellphones' is surely one of our most anticipated, exotic deliveries of the year. Serving both a glimpse into the rich contemporary culture of the Trans-Sahara and a bunch of music you've likely never encountered before, it comprises nine tracks transferred via bluetooth from the mobile phones of residents in Kidal, Northern Mali at the beginning of 2010. Apparently, across Western Africa everyone loves playing music thru their phone's loudspeaker - a practice which is usually, unfortunately frowned upon in the UK and elsewhere - with popular tracks simply spread via bluetooth from person to person, phone to phone, creating a profuse and uncontainable sonic landscape as diverse and transient as the sand ocean "port-towns" themselves. Kidal is one of these metaphorical docks, a major hub in the Saharan network, linking North Africa with Sub Saharan regions and further beyond, and it's also the locus of the record's compiler, Christopher Kirkley's attentions. He collected these tracks at night, swapping mp3s from his own collection for everything from local Tuareg anthems to DIY, auto-tuned HipHop produced on cracked software. We reckon you'll be genuinely surprised and delighted at discoveries like Group Anmataff's melancholy, low-slung Algerian drum machine and guitar groove 'Tinariwen' or the intricate drum programming and microtonal keyboard flourishes of Negib Ould Ngainich's 'Guetna', but best of all has to be the emphatic emotions of Mdou Moctar's swaying autotune ballad 'Tahoultine' or Bayta Ag Bay's forlorn guitar on 'Aicha'. OK, granted, the bitrates (included on the insert) are poor, but the mastering makes them quite acceptable, and really if you've still got gripes with it then you're seriously missing the point. And while the irony of these tracks being transferred from mp3 to vinyl shouldn't be lost on you, it's nevertheless a marvellous, beautiful record which has already had The Guardian and The Wire singing its praises, if that makes any difference. Wholeheartedly recommended!
tony

Post by tony »

Early morning raid on spin dizzy before xmas shoppers arrived. Carefully introduced to the household cd stash unseen by my waiting general who was brandishing a large stick. Not sure about the os mutantes bought it on a whim.

+ a Neil Young Hurricane Live collectors edition DVD. Cant find an image for it so will be interesting to see the quality!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

tony wrote: Not sure about the os mutantes bought it on a whim.
they are, at the very least, interesting.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
dhyantyke

Post by dhyantyke »