Amplification

Ivor

Re: Amplification

Post by Ivor »

We'll the time heard the Krell with the Sonus Fabers the Krell was certainly in control. It was all there, even to my tube shaped ears it was a very complete balanced system. I think you're right to sit back and just enjoy the system. Other options will appear but stop looking for them and wallow in what you got!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Yeah, I think so. Apart from everything else I was in danger of spending money I don't have and doing something silly.

Nige, that's the one! So elegant, so understated...
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Looks like a real toe warmer and nicely made too

How does the sound differ from the valve monos
Had thought this kind if amp would suit:)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Actually, now that I read that I realise that I have a slightly different model, since mine has balanced as well as single ended inputs but that pdf only mentions single ended. I assume this is then the KSA-80B? That would make sense, with B for balanced?

Valve monos offer a completely different presentation as you'd expect. The GRAAFs can't deal with the impedance so they're not a fair comparison. The Jadis monos are certainly capable, and many might prefer that presentation. They bring a midrange magic and beauty to vocals especially. For my money they were a bit too nice, especially for the wide range of stuff I listen to, but they're undeniably gorgeous in their own way.

However, the way the big Krell grips the woofers and keeps everything in control, completely unfussed, is also very compelling, and once I'd heard that kind of presentation I knew I was going to struggle to go back for a while at least.
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
tony

Post by tony »

A bit behind on this. Have you bought the Krell or traded your Graafs?
Looks like some monster of an amp look forward to hearing the combo.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I'm keeping the GRAAFs for now, because if I sell them I'll never get another pair as good again. I'll be buying the Krell at the weekend, as in, actually handing over money for something! I know, I know...
tony

Post by tony »

Cloneys will throw a party! I should hold my council until I hear the Elipsa's but sounds like I would be going with the mono's be it Graaf or Jadis. I take it you didn't use Steve's pre when testing but I realise if that did the job that is not a reasonably priced fix.

Suppose the Graafs can always be used in the kitchen system they should help SQ with the bluesound kit:)
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

If the Bluesound joins the party it will be going into the mancave too. We already have streaming music in the kitchen, it's just the mancave that remains in the dark ages...

You can hear the GRAAFs when you eventually get over to hear the Elipsas, Tony. Just one small problem for now:

tony

Post by tony »

Eek:) Now I know what a harpsichord actually looks like. Could you no have taken up the tin whistle?
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

This is only a small one, many of them have 2 keyboards, but it seems a lot less small when placed in the nerdcave. Oh well, it should only be there for a couple of weeks.

You can say one thing for sure about my instrument choices: They weren't to pick up chicks.