OS in RamDisk

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
elaprince

Re: OS in RamDisk

Post by elaprince »

you could always modified those for specific motherboard
dont you think?
thanks
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

elaprince wrote:you could always modified those for specific motherboard
dont you think?
thanks
I think that is called a "clean install" ;-)
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Does compacting the vhd remove the ability to boot r2 on different pc configurations?
is compacting a requirement as normal r2 install will fit on less than 14gb?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

nige2000 wrote:Does compacting the vhd remove the ability to boot r2 on different pc configurations?
is compacting a requirement as normal r2 install will fit on less than 14gb?

A full R2 just fits on 10GB VHD I believe.

No, you can boot on any configuration as long as the drivers are present in the installation.
I have not checked in detail, but I believe the installed drivers are kept.
Depends just on the presence on the required drivers and if not present I don't know if all system functions are still present to do all downloads/installs.
The instruction is to do all downloads and device setups before compacting.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

all win8, 8.1,r1 and r2 os has std microsoft drivers so they can boot up on any/most pcs it was a feature of the win8 ent wintogo usb thing

anyway it means i can switch harddrives or wintogo sticks between any of my pcs
between chipsets etc it installs the relevant mobo drivers automatically and only takes a few secs
ive had no issues doing this

doesnt seem to matter if its a vhd or not

actually find it a godsend cause i do all my installs/partial installs on my work pc
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
elaprince

Post by elaprince »

+1 nige2000
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Would there be any advantage or disadvantage in sound quality by stripping the R2?

Or, would it sound better stripped R2 on 8GB RAM, or full installation on 16GB RAM?

By all those things that we learned by now (less power, eliminating the "extra" processes.....) it should be better stripped R2 on 8 GB RAM.....or maybe not? :)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

sima66 wrote:Would there be any advantage or disadvantage in sound quality by stripping the R2?
Hi Sima,
from my experience the answer is no, I could not recognize any difference in sq on my system. I stopped my own testing with versions below 6GB and kept using my original starting point of 10 GB. I have asked that question several times in public and discussed privately with a lot of users and none confirmed a difference in sq based on the size of the VHD or the size of data in the VHD.
sima66 wrote:By all those things that we learned by now (less power, eliminating the "extra" processes.....)
One might think that more RAM is used for a bigger size of VHD/OS and uses more/different power? I can't confirm that either, powering my RAM directly via a single linear PSU I can't measure different power usage with RAM just been filled with data without movement/task.

What process would you expect if you say "eliminating the "extra"processes"? While the data is in RAM there is only the process to store it and nothing else as long as you don't use it, right?

We might discuss the order of RAM usage while the OS is running in RAM, yes, but I would say a carefully chosen hardware regarding power consumption etc. has a much bigger impact. ;)
sima66 wrote:Or, would it sound better stripped R2 on 8GB RAM, or full installation on 16GB RAM?
10GB VHD is more than enough for a full R2 installation, it leaves you 2 GB free space. And it offers you full functionality without any limitations as the "compacted" versions do. You would need 16GB RAM available in your system. You find more details and explanations at the beginning of this thread where I posted my experience ;)

Finally an additional hint: you can use internal commands of R2 like "dism" to reduce the size of your OS and in a second step resize the VHD. You need to understand if you chose that way that one can't reduce a VHD to less than half of the original size! That has to do with some internal files MS fixes in the middle of the existing storage during the installation process which can't be moved later on. VHD isn't different here as any other storage device.

Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
sima66

Post by sima66 »

Thanks Thomas,

By "eliminating the "extra" processes" (pour choice of words) I meant stripping and reducing the size of R2 would that give a better sound.
From your answer that is a NO!

When you say "carefully chosen hardware regarding power consumption etc. has a much bigger impact", do you specific mean regarding to the RAM?
What brand of RAM you find to be the best in your opinion and from your experience?

Thanks,
Adam
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

sima66 wrote:When you say "carefully chosen hardware regarding power consumption etc. has a much bigger impact", do you specific mean regarding to the RAM?
What brand of RAM you find to be the best in your opinion and from your experience?
Hi Adam,
this time maybe my "poor choice of words" ;)
I check the data charts of the possible RAM very carefully. Watch the details and you will recognize that the power consumption varies quite often, depending on the latency timing you want to use. Marketing shows always the lowest power and lowest latency but if you check the details you may recognize that it is the 11-11-11 timing only with 1.5V, with the offered lowest timing of 9-9-9 it says suddenly 1.65V. As we are looking for lowest latency with lowest power to avoid jitter this would not be my choice.
That said, I check the data charts about the signed RAM for the respective mainboard. And yes, that is sometimes a nightmare as you need to understand that you have to watch for the combination you would like to use. There are so many cryptic names from letters and numbers... But finally that leaves you alone with less possibilities and now you can start to check the data charts of each available RAM. ;) And finally cost and availability has a saying as well. At the moment I use KHX16C9T3K2/16X just because of alignment with mainboard and 9-9-9 latency with 1.5V. Normally I would not buy this kind of stuff with heat spreader, but it was the best available choice. I know there is other RAM possible with 1.2V but it needs to fit with your mainboard.
Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4