bod

Re: Tonearm woes

Post by bod »

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Yeah - but did you see the prices?

I think that those bearings need a higher pressure too - 60psi IIRC. The other air bearing arms (eg the conductor) use high volume low pressure pumps (typically aquarium pumps).

See:

http://www.thecartridgeman.com/conductor.htm

All of these type are based on the Ladegaard arm

Mine looks very like that one (although a bit more agricultural!)

More reading:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/e ... onearm.htm

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
bod

Post by bod »

£499 incl pumps etc. Might be worth a flutter.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

You're more than welcome to come have a listen to mine if you like.

And the new feickert protractor arrived today! Super quick delivery. Must try to get yours back to you ASAP bod.....

Fran
bod

Post by bod »

Cool. I might be down Celbridge direction on Saturday if that`s any use. I can pop into you on my way if you give me your address. Cheers. Dave.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

pm sent BOD.

If you can't call to me, I could maybe meet up in Celbridge to return the alignment gauge?

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Well, the new magnets arrived today -very quick service from ebay. So I had drilled out a new armwand from some macassar ebony, but I'm not 100% happy with it. I might do another just to have a second one to hand. I also machined out a new arm stub (the alu bit that holds the magnet) and am much happier this time with the level of accuracy I achieved. I got a tip or 2 from Frank Schroeder too that is enormously helpful. Lets just say there are certain measurements that are critical to get right.

So another week or so of waiting while I give the timber a time to dry out and I think I should be ready to recommence.

I really think I might set this up on another TT with an old cart to try out. The other one is sounding lovely at the moment and I find it hard to take the cart and arm off. The other thing is that its really not sensible to be doing this kind of flutin' about with a Benz L2 cart....... shudder the thoughts of paying for another should there be a slip of the hand.

Fran
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Well done Fran, this is a labour of love.
You are a patient man, waiting a couple of weeks for your wood to acclimatise
Now no schoolboy jokes, please, there's children watching :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Ah thanks John.

Looking at it all again now, I think you would nearly have to make one to discover the intricacies of the thing - this one to be a failure. Then the second, and maybe even the third would be the one that would be a keeper.

Another little refinement is that the original schroeder has a "cup" to allow for the addition of some oil for damping the suspension string. In the new arm I've added that as well. That may make another little improvement. At this stage I think its all a combination of small things coming together that add to more than their individual amounts.

Fran
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Saw this and thought it might be of interest: