What are you listening to?

markof

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by markof »

Great collection of contemporary music including Adams, Richter, Penderecki, Ligeti, Cage and more.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Dane

Post by Dane »

Just the Quartet tonight. The musicians are well known.

William Pleeth, mostly known as one of Jaqueline Dupré’s teachers and a member of the Allegri Quartet.
Gervase de Peyer was a founder member of the Melos Ensemble.
Béroff was on his way up, working in Paris with Yvonne Loriod, won a few prizes and went on to record works for EMI and returning to conducting of late.
Erich Gruenberg, violinist, has long been a soloist and was a founder member of what was once the London (string) Quartet. Apparently he was commandeered to play on a Beatles track!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Vinyl....

....the best Sibelius 2 that I have heard!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:Vinyl....

Have you heard the Barbirolli Fergus? It´s also one of the top contenders.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:Vinyl....

Have you heard the Barbirolli Fergus? It´s also one of the top contenders.

No Pepe, groan!!!! Just when I have almost completed purchasing my Wish List you come along yet again and add to it LOL!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Vinyl....

This is Beethoven's only Oratorio and not a very popular work but I really like it I must say.
fergus

Post by fergus »

On CD....

....I think that it would be an interesting exercise to compare in detail this work to the Purcell in Simon's Listening Project thread; at the moment I would favour the Purcell.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:On CD....

....I think that it would be an interesting exercise to compare in detail this work to the Purcell in Simon's Listening Project thread; at the moment I would favour the Purcell.
I love both settings very much and refuse to choose between them. I think both represent different eras and stages of development. I love the Pinnock recording, especially for Dame Felicity Lott´s amazing dueling with the trumpet in "A trumpet shall be heard on high".
Anthony Rolfe Johnson is wonderful too, but he can be heard in best voice in the slightly earlier Harnoncourt version.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:
fergus wrote:On CD....

I love both settings very much and refuse to choose between them. I think both represent different eras and stages of development. I love the Pinnock recording, especially for Dame Felicity Lott´s amazing dueling with the trumpet in "A trumpet shall be heard on high".
Anthony Rolfe Johnson is wonderful too, but he can be heard in best voice in the slightly earlier Harnoncourt version.

I agree Pepe and that is why I would like to do a direct comparison between the two. I don't know why I did not do it at the time when Simon was discussing the Purcell....a senior moment I fear!