MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: MQN

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
Aleg wrote:
sbgk wrote: that means the wait function isn't working properly, mine is below 1% on mine.

what you can do is open task manager before starting mqn and then highlight mqn and press end task just as the cpu % is rising. memory goes to 95%, but cpu goes back down to < 1%, sounds ok. will need a reboot afterwards though because mqnplay task can't be terminated, but you'll have control of the pc for other tasks.
Are you using Win8.1 or Server2012R2?
It appears to be an incompatibility with the Server implementations, unless you run a Server as well.
I use win10
Then it now seems the post-V30 MQn will only run on the Win10 family if OS?
As apparently all have now issues with the CPU running wild on Win2012/8.1
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote: Then it now seems the post-V30 MQn will only run on the Win10 family if OS?
As apparently all have now issues with the CPU running wild on Win2012/8.1
they are built for 8.1, won't work on win 10. I have a win 10 version that works
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Hi folks,

I am getting a bit confused on the various descriptions:
sbgk wrote:what you can do is open task manager before starting mqn and then highlight mqn and press end task just as the cpu % is rising. memory goes to 95%, but cpu goes back down to < 1%, sounds ok. will need a reboot afterwards though because mqnplay task can't be terminated, but you'll have control of the pc for other tasks.
There is no rising cpu % in my system, MQnplay goes to 25% (V30/V31) and stays there. Memory is at 145MB (75%) of which MQnplay is 0,5MB, Acourate Convolver 133MB.
The moment you start MQnplay again you add another 25% of cpu usage but as usual in this test version no sound. The moment I close manually MQnplay in taskmanager cpu usage is dropped to normal.
sbgk wrote:It's just as mqnplay starts and it's cpu % is climbing eg 5, 7, 9, 12 etc select it in task mgr and end it while you can still move the mouse. would advise not to use it.
I can't confirm any behaviour like that, see my feedback posted before to the versions from v28 on.
Aleg wrote:As apparently all have now issues with the CPU running wild on Win2012/8.1
From my experience that is not the case. The only issue I can confirm is the higher cpu usage itself on all 8.1 versions, means from v29. It seems to me that with the changes the ability of MQnplay running within the cpu registers itself has been harmed?

All above have been repeatable tested and shows the same behaviour wether OS booted in RAM or normally.

My 2cents
Thomas

(Edit: typo)
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Octagon wrote:
Aleg wrote:As apparently all have now issues with the CPU running wild on Win2012/8.1
From my experience that is not the case. The only issue I can confirm is the higher cpu usage itself on all 8.1 versions, means from v29. It seems to me that with the changes the ability of MQnplay running within the cpu registers itself has been harmed?

All above have been repeatable tested and shows the same behaviour wether OS booted in RAM or normally.

My 2cents
Thomas
Thomas

You probably run MQN also on a dedicated core on a Quad-Core CPU, as I do?
I think that's why you get around the 25% CPU usage in Taskmanager as it runs that one core at 100%, meaning 25% of total CPU capacity?

I also have to reboot now regularly, as the systems locks.
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Aleg wrote:You probably run MQN also on a dedicated core on a Quad-Core CPU, as I do?
I think that's why you get around the 25% CPU usage in Taskmanager as it runs that one core at 100%, meaning 25% of total CPU capacity?

I also have to reboot now regularly, as the systems locks.
Hi Aleg,

Yes, I am running a 4 core cpu (see my signature;) ) and yes, I dedicate 1 core to MQnplayer via tasker. I understand that the 25% are one core, but it is still working without counting high? That might be the case because my overall usage including the online convolving with Acourate Convolver is at 27 to 28%.

By the way, v29 has around 27-28% on my system and no upscoring of cpu usage as well.

Might the issue be the overall system usage of cpu time?

I have again reviewed the situation with normally booted OS because RAMOS uses pretty less performance. I thought that I might be able to measure what some described even better. The only result were the hickups, described in my earlier post, which disapear the moment I put MQnplay and Acourate Convolver on different cores.

Another idea I have might be the allochthon of the priority of the tasks? I have MQnplay and Acourate Convolver on realtime, all other tasks are below normal. Could also be the reason why the system is not freezing because I don't get into conflicts one might have?

Gordon, maybe you have an idea about the causes as you know the differences between the 8.1 test versions and the edler ones?

Thank's
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Aleg

MQN

Post by Aleg »

Mine is not upcounting either.
It is just fixed at 25-27% from the beginning, so I suspect the MQn dedicated core is running at 100%.
In my setup MQn is running at realtime as well and now sometimes (started with V29) my PC locks up a has to be turned off with on/off switch as it won't respond to my RDP session anymore. It only locks up when I have mqn play to the end of the 50 MB, it usually doesn't lock when I end the mqnplay process before the end. Occasionally it does, but that is usually after running the test version a few times and switching to other playback.
Never had that before and I always run a dedicated core with realtime mqn and also as Ram disk.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

one thing I've found from this is that the normal render loop can be optimised a bit further
HaraldBluetooth

Post by HaraldBluetooth »

Does anybody know, why mqnload doesn't work with .ogg files, because ffmpeg should be able to convert from ogg to wav (ffmpeg -i audio.ogg audio.wav)??
Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit / Intel i5-4570 3.20GHz 16GB RAM / iFi micro iDSD DAC / Sennheiser HD 580 / Topping TP60 Class T amp / NAD 3080 int. amp / Antique CV 12TR + Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo One speakers
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

HaraldBluetooth wrote:Does anybody know, why mqnload doesn't work with .ogg files, because ffmpeg should be able to convert from ogg to wav (ffmpeg -i audio.ogg audio.wav)??
Hi Harald,

In general MQn is playing wav only. I guess you use it with Taggarts MQnload? In this case with the use of ffmpeg these formats are converted into wav before playing:
Taggart wrote:......ffmpeg.exe and provides decoding support for the following file types:
Free Lossless Audio Codec (.flac)
Windows Media Audio Lossless (.wma)
Monkey's Audio (.ape)
Advanced Audio Coding (.m4a)
Apple Lossless Audio Codec (.m4a)
MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer III (.mp3
Windows Media Audio (.wma)
Musepack (.mpc)
Ogg is not included in MQnload allthough ffmpeg might be able to convert into wav.

Take care
Thomas
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Best is not to rip to ogg at all, as it is a lossy format.