MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
sbgk wrote:
sbgk wrote:Off to listen to an LP12, so it might give me motivation.
didn't manage to listen to mqn in the same system as didn't have a naim din cable. System was Linn LP12/Lingo, rest was naim including tone arm, streaming was from a Linn DS.

Not a fan of the naim sound, but it was able to show the superiority of the LP12 to a Linn DS.

Used a track from mad season called wake up which he had on lp, 16/44 and 24/48 sampled from the lp12.

The 16/44 was pretty dire on the Linn DS, a bit shocked at how bad it was. The 24/48 captured some of what the lp12 was capable of.

The LP12 was very engaging and allowed one to get really close to the music as if it was a live event. So it was lovely to listen to, very enjoyable, apart from the naim sound pushed it too far in the treble for my tastes.

Now at home listening to the same track using the latest version of mqn on a £20 maplin dac and £20 sony headphones I can see how mqn is close to what the lp12 was offering, this is using the 16/44 track that sounded pretty bad on the Linn DS.

So am happy I haven't been chasing the dragon of vinyl replay and feel mqn is, if not there, then pretty close.
What speakers did he have?
What Naim amps?
I wouldn't put the cause of high treble at Naim amps, far from it I must say.
More likely speakers and cables (e.g Nordost).

cheers
SL2 speakers and Naim cable

there was a power + pre and 2 power supplies and a power supply for the phono amp, don't know what models they were.

there wasn't much care taken at the back of the boxes with signal/speaker and mains leads all lying together, not something that's tolerated in my system. So that could have affected things. That's the second Naim system I've heard and they don't leave me feeling very comfortable, just my preference.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

sbgk wrote:
Octagon wrote:Hi Gordon,
v3 and v5 no sound in my system :(
Thomas
files need to be over 50 mb in size
Hi Gordon,
That is tricky ;)

V5 is playing very well in core mode, both VHD loaded and OS in RAM. Stops short before 5' playing time. Instead another version playing longer my preferences would be to have a first "full" KS version which could be compared to the wasapi ones, if I may suggest ;)

Thank's
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote: ...

SL2 speakers and Naim cable

there was a power + pre and 2 power supplies and a power supply for the phono amp, don't know what models they were.

there wasn't much care taken at the back of the boxes with signal/speaker and mains leads all lying together, not something that's tolerated in my system. So that could have affected things. That's the second Naim system I've heard and they don't leave me feeling very comfortable, just my preference.

It is a shame when you see somebody spent so much money on the hifi gear and not pay attention to cable dressing.
Esp. with higher end Naim gear cable dressing becomes significantly noticeable, esp. touching of power cables and signal cables.

I wouldn't be surprised if this compromised sound would be fully due to the cable dressing alone.

Shame ....
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
tony

Post by tony »

Haven't been following this new V versions. What are the files to get it working and is there other work required?

Thomas do you not just play two or three tracks to ensure you get to hear the one you want with these versions?
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

tony wrote:Haven't been following this new V versions. What are the files to get it working and is there other work required?

Thomas do you not just play two or three tracks to ensure you get to hear the one you want with these versions?
the latest mqnplay.exe, loader v6 and control v6

edit play to your device

need a 16/44 track called test.wav at least 50 mb in size in c:\mqnplayer

double click on mqncontrol.exe

only plays for a few minutes, just a test really, but probably the best sq so far.
Last edited by sbgk on Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded loader and control v6, couple of things fixed, now will load track before play starts.

SQ much better, you would think setting a file to read only would be better, but read write sounds better. Remember this is in the control.exe so changing the security settings when opening the file affects the sq in the play.exe. Shall upload a read only version for comparison, it sounds a bit dead.

So think that's an end to the sq mods for now, shall get the functionality working.

just realised hadn't applied security changes to mqnplay, so uploaded v6. beefier bass anyway.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

sbgk wrote:uploaded loader and control v6, couple of things fixed, now will load track before play starts.
Funny, v6 working with play v5 not play v6. I have checked hexediting several times, name and places are right edited... And yes, I used more than 50MB file this time :)

Looking forward to the next step ;)
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:uploaded loader and control v6, couple of things fixed, now will load track before play starts.

SQ much better, you would think setting a file to read only would be better, but read write sounds better. Remember this is in the control.exe so changing the security settings when opening the file affects the sq in the play.exe. Shall upload a read only version for comparison, it sounds a bit dead.

So think that's an end to the sq mods for now, shall get the functionality working.

just realised hadn't applied security changes to mqnplay, so uploaded v6. beefier bass anyway.

What is extra with the v7?
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

V7 is working well now. Recognized a wrong 0 at the end if the device name, my mistake with V6 as well I guess. Very detailled but too early to comment in SQ for me.
Thank's
Thomas
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:

What is extra with the v7?
wasn't convinced by v6, loss of treble. v7 a bit better balanced, security settings again.