MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Octagon

Re: MQN

Post by Octagon »

sbgk wrote:uploaded v2 version of mqncontrol to go with loader/mqnplay, there was an incorrect setting in the file load. Maybe slightly longer play time as well.
Hi Gordon,
Mqncontrol v2 is running well on Core Mode with AO 1.30 as in Minimal Server and GUI. V1 was running as well as reported so I don't know what has been changed.
* MQnplay still needs to be ended manually in task manager
* Play time is about 10 seconds longer
SQ is pretty good in with KS full optimized Core. Would be great to have longer play time as I can't reach important points of my test files ;)
Thanks a lot
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:uploaded v2 version of mqncontrol to go with loader/mqnplay, there was an incorrect setting in the file load. Maybe slightly longer play time as well.

I do like this version, seems to tease a bit more out of the music.
Sounds good as well.
Have to do some comparing, but believe v2 is a bit more forcefull, heavier and v1 a bit lighter.

+1 for a version that will play full time
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:

Sounds good as well.
Have to do some comparing, but believe v2 is a bit more forcefull, heavier and v1 a bit lighter.

the previous version had this setting left in, sounded a bit messy on my cheapo headphones, was it because of the events being signalled ? The new version seems crisper.

This is a setting in the control.exe that initially reads the file into ram and seems to affect the sound quality. Of course it's impossible to discuss this on the expert forums.

FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED
0x40000000
The file or device is being opened or created for asynchronous I/O.
When subsequent I/O operations are completed on this handle, the event specified in the OVERLAPPED structure will be set to the signaled state.
If this flag is specified, the file can be used for simultaneous read and write operations.
If this flag is not specified, then I/O operations are serialized, even if the calls to the read and write functions specify an OVERLAPPED structure.
For information about considerations when using a file handle created with this flag, see the Synchronous and Asynchronous I/O Handles section of this topic.

This setting is used later for the device where the driver has to be able to signal that a buffer load is complete and it's time to start the next one, but it's not required for reading the file in.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

sbgk wrote:This is a setting in the control.exe that initially reads the file into ram and seems to affect the sound quality.
If that is the change it could explain why I did not recognize a difference from the beginning. It copies the file from RAM (OS in RAM) into RAM on my system. But might need more detaillied testing.

By the way, I have had the same experience while testing the rewriter tool of the author of Bughead Emperor. RAM to RAM seems to make no or a very small difference in my setup.

Take care
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

Aleg wrote:

Sounds good as well.

Like the v5, but 50 MB is still too short :-)
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Aleg wrote:
Aleg wrote:

Sounds good as well.

Like the v5, but 50 MB is still too short :-)
playing about with file security settings, seems to extract a bit more from the music. Next release will have the device recognition, file read/size etc. Off to listen to an LP12, so it might give me motivation.
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Hi Gordon,
v3 and v5 no sound in my system :(
Thomas
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

Octagon wrote:Hi Gordon,
v3 and v5 no sound in my system :(
Thomas
files need to be over 50 mb in size
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

sbgk wrote:Off to listen to an LP12, so it might give me motivation.
didn't manage to listen to mqn in the same system as didn't have a naim din cable. System was Linn LP12/Lingo, rest was naim including tone arm, streaming was from a Linn DS.

Not a fan of the naim sound, but it was able to show the superiority of the LP12 to a Linn DS.

Used a track from mad season called wake up which he had on lp, 16/44 and 24/48 sampled from the lp12.

The 16/44 was pretty dire on the Linn DS, a bit shocked at how bad it was. The 24/48 captured some of what the lp12 was capable of.

The LP12 was very engaging and allowed one to get really close to the music as if it was a live event. So it was lovely to listen to, very enjoyable, apart from the naim sound pushed it too far in the treble for my tastes.

Now at home listening to the same track using the latest version of mqn on a £20 maplin dac and £20 sony headphones I can see how mqn is close to what the lp12 was offering, this is using the 16/44 track that sounded pretty bad on the Linn DS.

So am happy I haven't been chasing the dragon of vinyl replay and feel mqn is, if not there, then pretty close.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

sbgk wrote:
sbgk wrote:Off to listen to an LP12, so it might give me motivation.
didn't manage to listen to mqn in the same system as didn't have a naim din cable. System was Linn LP12/Lingo, rest was naim including tone arm, streaming was from a Linn DS.

Not a fan of the naim sound, but it was able to show the superiority of the LP12 to a Linn DS.

Used a track from mad season called wake up which he had on lp, 16/44 and 24/48 sampled from the lp12.

The 16/44 was pretty dire on the Linn DS, a bit shocked at how bad it was. The 24/48 captured some of what the lp12 was capable of.

The LP12 was very engaging and allowed one to get really close to the music as if it was a live event. So it was lovely to listen to, very enjoyable, apart from the naim sound pushed it too far in the treble for my tastes.

Now at home listening to the same track using the latest version of mqn on a £20 maplin dac and £20 sony headphones I can see how mqn is close to what the lp12 was offering, this is using the 16/44 track that sounded pretty bad on the Linn DS.

So am happy I haven't been chasing the dragon of vinyl replay and feel mqn is, if not there, then pretty close.
What speakers did he have?
What Naim amps?
I wouldn't put the cause of high treble at Naim amps, far from it I must say.
More likely speakers and cables (e.g Nordost).

cheers