What are you listening to?

markof

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by markof »

Vivaldi: Concertos for the Emperor, English Consort & Andrew Manze

A 24/88 download from Qobuz.

Last nights listening - really beautiful melodies matched by virtuosic violin solos.

Recording is sweet - the typical great "Harmonia Mundi" sound but an issue is present with rumble on the recording - pronounced in the intervals and quiet passages. I wonder if this is digitised from an LP or is the rumble noise from the recording equipment?
Last edited by markof on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: Did you know that the founding members of La Venexiana were originally members of Concerto Italiano but they got in trouble with Rinaldo Alessandrini and decided to go their own way?
No Pepe I did not know that! Do you know what the problem or issue was? I would be curious to know.
I don´t know the specifics, but you know artists: big egos and bad tempers...
Alessandrini of course had no difficulty in finding equally fine singers and has continued with his own Concerto Italiano. His next recording is a Bononcini Mass which is eagerly awaited.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
markof

Post by markof »

Wonderful, lively, tuneful and rhythmic recorder music from early 17th. Century Venice. Great ensemble and lovely recording.
Main: Qobuz/Arcam Alpha 9 CD/Project Carbon Esprit->Auralic Polaris->Chord Silver Carnival->Martin Logan EM-ESL
Office: Qobuz->Auralic Aries Mini->Denafrips ARES II->miniDSP 2X4 HD>Primare I32->Harbeth P3ESR/REL T5X
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

DaveF wrote:Image
I´m René Jacobs biggest fan, but I can´t say I liked very much either of his Mozart symphonies cds.
The Freiburger Barockorchester plays splendidly of course, but these are very fuzzy, unnecessarily complicated interpretations.
In period instruments I´go for Frans Brüggen´s magisterial, suave and very musical readings, and in the Orchestra of the XVIII Century he has the one band that can still beat the Freiburgers.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Piano Concertos No.1 & 2

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote: Image

Gosh, I remember buying that CD set in what seems such a long time ago now; it is strange how some albums or even album covers just seem to jolt a memory cell deep down somewhere!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is wonderful music that is beautifully played. I loved the textures and sounds on this one.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Image

This is wonderful music that is beautifully played. I loved the textures and sounds on this one.
It's a great recording alright. As you know I've got quite a few of Savall's recordings and I'd recommend that you check them out particulary the French Baroque stuff.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

It's a great recording alright. As you know I've got quite a few of Savall's recordings and I'd recommend that you check them out particulary the French Baroque stuff.

Cheers for that Dave!