MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Re: MQN

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000 wrote:Well the thing is you have to highlight where it says cpu auto then type in 8 for 800mhz
I clicked and double-clicked numerous times - there was never an opportunity to type in anything.

t was not going to allow any chnage. I promise.

I have played with many board's BIOS. Have used every BIOS supplier's products over the years. I feel confident I know the variations and how to use them.

Has to be a board revision - the boards may look the same but they are not.

With the GIGABYTE board I am using there are three revisions and they all have different BIOS versions. The middle revision, based upon the model designation, seems to have used the not-so-good BIOS as the GIGABYTE board JL and I rejected only to go back to (my assumption) a BIOS version like the first revision, which is what I have. Based on nothing more than version names. The BIOS on the board I am using uses letter and numbers, the suspect BIOS has only letters. I know this assumption is based on a ridiculously small sample.
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

rickmcinnis wrote:
nige2000 wrote:Well the thing is you have to highlight where it says cpu auto then type in 8 for 800mhz
I clicked and double-clicked numerous times - there was never an opportunity to type in anything.

t was not going to allow any chnage. I promise.
You have to use a keyboard for that, not a mouse!
Highlight it and press a key on the keyboard.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

You mean one selects the item in question and when you press 8, say for clock multiplier, it will place the 8 where AUTO was?

Obviously one would have to use the keyboard to enter a number but in all instances previous to this there was some kind of indication that a keyboard input is needed or will be accepted.

At this point, I cannot remember with my numerous attempts whether I tried that or not but can say I have never dealt with a BIOS that looked like that.

All ends well since the GIGABYTE has far more options and AMAZON kindly agreed to take the board back/

I cannot wait to see if the GIGABYTE board we got before ordering the MSI, which I decided to keep and came in handly over the weekend when my regular machine's board's PCIe decided to no longer communicate. Its BIOS looked very similar to the MSI - all of those AUTO that seemed to me could not be changed. I will see if simply using the keyboard will allow adjustment. If that is all that is required I will be sincerely embarrassed and glad to have learned something new.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000 and Aleg,

WELL, I did learn something today.

You are correct, as if you need me to assure of this!. All one has to do is type in the number.

Not the first time I had to learn the hard way.

THANKS for bringing this to my attention. Sorry I was so determined to not believe you. I know better now ...
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:nige2000 and Aleg,

WELL, I did learn something today.

You are correct, as if you need me to assure of this!. All one has to do is type in the number.

Not the first time I had to learn the hard way.

THANKS for bringing this to my attention. Sorry I was so determined to not believe you. I know better now ...
no worries
just happy you know i wasn't recommending the wrong stuff :)
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

nige2000,

You are a part of my audio fundement.

I am embarrassed to have cast aspersion on your recommendations.

Peace and harmony have returned to the MQn forum and all is right with the world.

Now if only I could get MQn to work ...
2channelaudio

Post by 2channelaudio »

2channelaudio wrote:
Ken Moreland wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:Ken Moreland,

If I may ask: when you "get" the latest MQn combo to work what is it you do?

I have been having problems getting any combo to work and I have come to the conclusion it is likely a defective WAVE IO, nonetheless I would like to know what tricks you have, what do you do, to get MQn versions to work?

Figure what you are doing would be of interest to the less experienced of us out here!

Thanks,
Everything I know is on this thread. To get 9.12 to work with 4.25 these are the basic steps.
Get the string specific to your DAC using mqndevinfo .
Download HxD from Seb's link on page 650
Rename 9.12 to mqnplay1644.exe
Open with HxD
Tootle down to the code starting with \\?\ and paste/write (use menu) in your string
There will be some unnecessary code remaing so go to the Hexidecimal part and following the instructions on page 650 set each point to 0 up to the point in Seb's little green square.
Save
Bob's your uncle.

The string for
Chord Hugo is \\?\usb#vid_245f&pid_1213#413-001#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\wave
Ciunas is \\?\usb#vid_16d0&pid_071a#413-001#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\wave

Best of luck
KM
I understand SQ was the driving factor for making this process manual....
However at some point user-ability must be considered.
The fact that a user needs to complete this process just to configure the player is clearly a little beyond most.

Suggestion.... Could a once off manual startup config screen be implemented to complete this task for the user?
I know this strategy would be appreciated by many users.
chirp chirp chirp.......
Maybe silence means Gordon is busy coding the required interface & device selection changes to allow MQn to be adopted by the majority and not the minority...?!
tony

Post by tony »

rickmcinnis wrote:nige2000,

Peace and harmony have returned to the MQn forum and all is right with the world.

Must be instruction set I have a laptop that never played MQn I just gave up. That one boots up on a 2012r2 usb stick no problem.
The other laptop works with MQn but impossible to get it to boot on usb stick. C'est la vie
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

tony wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:nige2000,

Must be instruction set I have a laptop that never played MQn I just gave up. That one boots up on a 2012r2 usb stick no problem.
The other laptop works with MQn but impossible to get it to boot on usb stick. C'est la vie
Back in the cMP/cPLAY days most of us used the same motherboard/cpu/memory/power supply just to make these kinds of things less likely. If cics got it to work on his system you were fairly assured you would not have any problem.

I get the feeling MQn is far trickier than cMP/PLAY ever was. Hardest part of cPLAY was getting the JULI@ drivers installed correctly!

Nonetheless, I think there is something to having a common system that would make it easier to have success if you followed the formula. Maybe when sbgk goes to desktop from laptop there can be a move towards a shared platform. I think there is merit in it.
tony

Post by tony »

rickmcinnis wrote: Nonetheless, I think there is something to having a common system that would make it easier to have success if you followed the formula. Maybe when sbgk goes to desktop from laptop there can be a move towards a shared platform. I think there is merit in it.
Good luck with that one. I be thinking Patrick Mcgoohan in 'The Prisoner'
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.