MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
rickmcinnis

Re: MQN

Post by rickmcinnis »

Mr. Moreland,

That board might be just what J Ling and I are looking for.

We are using the 4130 CPU.

Does it have extensive BIOS adjustments available? The manual seems to promise this.

Have you tried slowing down your processor and running on less voltage? Will it allow this in native BIOS - not using the control panel? Can changes be made or are most things set?

I am assuming you have looked into this - not asking you to look!

Trying to find a board we can both use to exchange OS ideas
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

I'm using same cpu Intel Core i3 4130 - 3.4 GHz - 2 cores - 4 threads - 3 MB cache - LGA1150 Socket - Box (BX80646I34130)
I haven't done much in terms of BIOS adjustments but there are a lot available . I bought mobo and cpu on the recommendation of Nige2000 and he gave me some help on setup turning off unnecessary stuff etc. It was a good recommendation and I've been using it since 2013.
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

rickmcinnis wrote:nige2000,

I am skeptical of those BIOS within WINDOWS things - I did not recognize what you were using to verify settings. I believe what CPUZ tells me. What are you using, if I may ask, instead of CPUZ?

I had got the same board as Jonathan and I could not get the CONTROL PANEL program to install. Said it was not compatible with my OS. Did you do something to get yours to work? Could it be that I am using the EVALUATION version of SERVER?

We both have returned them.

Going back to my GIGABYTE H81 M-S2PV which has incredible BIOS flexibility.

Sent you a note about SOEKRIS. Got notification mine in one the way.
To be honest I don't pay much attention to what the BIOS or windows tell me on temps
I just put my hand on the cooler and if I Dont have to visit the hospital I'm happy
The haswells I have under clocked are usually Luke warm to the touch without the fan running

I'm not familiar with the control panel program but I would have more Confidence in the retail version of r2
There are ways to acquire an iso and install it as min server with GUI skip insertion of the product key

I've gone though many many motherboards I Dont recommend anything I haven't tested
So I recommended the h81i to Johnathon because I have two of them they underclock can be powered direct picoless and are minimalistic like server boards and there keenly priced

I think you've sent two perfectly good boards back

Gigabyte boards are my fav for regular pc builds but there more expensive and I haven't tried picoless power on em yet

Johnathon did mention ivybridge intel server boards that are popular over on jplay firstly there mad money
Secondly I'd fear that ivybridge is running avx2 in some sort of compatability mode and not getting the full benefit
And ivy is harder on power so its a little noisier
Guys get very excited about mobo selection
There is a difference between boards but its not a huge difference most will have far bigger issues
My fav board for audio PC is MSI H81M-P32 there getting scarce though

Haven't done anything with the r2r DAC yet
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

The two boards mentioned can only be undeclocked, based upon your video, with the WINDOWS BIOS stuff which requires Net.Framework. I know they cannot be underclocked natively. I envision a tug of war between the board and WINDOWS with these settings.

Since part of my quest is to see what happens with a small OS I would rather not have Net.Framework in the mix just for BIOS settings.

The GIGABYTE board I am using (had been laying about for a year) can be underclocked where it should be in my most unhumble opinion. I well could be delusional but it would not be the first time.

Out of desperation I installed the trial JPLAY and it works immediately even at the most "extreme" (whatever that really means) settings. It works even with my current less than half sized SERVER Evaluation OS. I tried the full OS first just to see what things should look like.

I have wondered if there was a problem with the evaluation version but cannot understand how or why since I feel sure plenty of folks have got MQn to work with the evaluation version.

Luckily AMAZON took back the MSI board and my regular system MB died this morning so it was a good thing I had the GIGABYTE on hand. Let nothing go to waste ...

I think I know what makes MQn tricky - it is that sbgk is using lots of WINDOWS stuff whereas JPLAY, asumming because of its size, is using its own stuff. What WINDOWS pieces I am missing ( I do not know since with a full install I am still unsuccessful) is beyond my abilities since I do not know what parts of WINDOWS are required to see if they are missing.

Through using NTLite I have found that for the .bat to work you have to retain what the NTLite guy thinks are archaic unneeded commands, which I think is interesting. Being archaic is not a problem for me - that is not my point. But there is so much mystery and I know MQn has to be better than JPlay since I have come to trust the people who say it is.

I know it is a work in progress whose endgame remains a mystery. Is it a hobby that sbgk has shared with us or is it on a path to a commercial product one day? I would hope all of sbgk's efforts will one day become something he can make a little money from.

If someone could assure me if I got a SERVER license and the thing would work I would get one but at this point I am stuck with JPlay since I figure any idiot could get that to work and with the SOEKRIS board in the mail I want to hear it.

A few good things about JPlay - the hibernate mode, which I do not understand, turns the monitor off immediately. It has a polarity switch, which I figure comes from the author's being cPLAY users way back when. Unfortunately, one better know the correct setting before going into hibernate. I do not keep a record of this since I would lose it anyway and think it is better to evaluate each recordings to keep in practice. This will not be convenient with JPlay in hibernate mode. Oh, well ...

JPlay needs no WINDOWS audio services which goes back to my assumption above. It is self-contained unlike MQn. So with sbgk's compiling expertise one can wonder what JPlay could be with his methods applied?

Don't get me wrong I am not a fan. I haven't got the paid for version yet. If it sounds OK with the SOEKRIS board I will have no choice but to buy it. But, for now I will wait patiently for sbgk to make a fool-proof version of his best effort and I would gladly pay for it.

A SOEKRIS question - are you going to use transformers or your battery scheme? Seems like the batteries would be easy enough to incorporate.
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

rickmcinnis wrote:The two boards mentioned can only be undeclocked, based upon your video, with the WINDOWS BIOS stuff which requires Net.Framework. I know they cannot be underclocked natively.......
The chapter on BIOS-settings in the MSI manual suggests otherwise.
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

What. ..
I just posted a video of me underclocking with this board in the bios no os was loaded

sure I'm not Martin Scorsese
but still
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I can only tell you my experience which is why I assumed you were using the CONTROL PANEL; not sure what it is called. Bur i was not able to change much of anything from AUTO.

If I could I would have kept the board.

I am using the 4130 - the thing kept saying that the ability to make adjustments was based upon the processor. Of course, I have been able to make substantive changes with the GIGABYTE h81 S2PV or something like that.

I looked at the manual before I bought the board and BIOS looked fine. Maybe I got a different revision version?
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Well the thing is you have to highlight where it says cpu auto then type in 8 for 800mhz
grisaia

Post by grisaia »

Ken Moreland wrote:
rickmcinnis wrote:Ken Moreland,

If I may ask: when you "get" the latest MQn combo to work what is it you do?

I have been having problems getting any combo to work and I have come to the conclusion it is likely a defective WAVE IO, nonetheless I would like to know what tricks you have, what do you do, to get MQn versions to work?

Figure what you are doing would be of interest to the less experienced of us out here!

Thanks,
Everything I know is on this thread. To get 9.12 to work with 4.25 these are the basic steps.
Get the string specific to your DAC using mqndevinfo .
Download HxD from Seb's link on page 650
Rename 9.12 to mqnplay1644.exe
Open with HxD
Tootle down to the code starting with \\?\ and paste/write (use menu) in your string
There will be some unnecessary code remaing so go to the Hexidecimal part and following the instructions on page 650 set each point to 0 up to the point in Seb's little green square.
Save
Bob's your uncle.

The string for
Chord Hugo is \\?\usb#vid_245f&pid_1213#413-001#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\wave
Ciunas is \\?\usb#vid_16d0&pid_071a#413-001#{6994ad04-93ef-11d0-a3cc-00a0c9223196}\wave

Best of luck
KM
Too bad that my device string is too long :/
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

grisaia wrote:Too bad that my device string is too long :/
+1
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4