MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sbgk

Re: MQN

Post by sbgk »

rickmcinnis wrote:Are any of the WINDOWS "features needed for MQN to run?

I never had any problems before KS but now I cannot get the thing to work.

I have had a very convoluted, too long to detail here, adventure. Have received much help from J Ling but still cannot get it to work.

Would anyone be willing to specify what is required? I have been trying to minimize the OS but even with a full install of 8.1 and 10 I have had no success. The good news is with an OS 1/4 the size of a full install I have the same problems so I know it is not due to that. I think a smaller install might offer a little bit extra; only time will tell. Needless to say I need to figure out what I am doing with a full install to porceed with anything useful.

I thought I knew what I was doing with computer audio and have been humbled. Anyone with the time and compassion would receive my greatest appreciation.

Using various H81 boards, 4130 CPU and WAVE IO.
no versions work ? need more details
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

4.17 is just an updated version of 4.12

uploaded 9.10 play avx2 aa/tf/cuinas/aleg

had one setting incorrect in the device opening function
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

I have hesitated to ask you or anyone here, with the exception of Mr. Ling (who has been the soul of kindness) for help on this because I am so damned embarrassed I am having this problem.

But it is quite simple - even with a full install, even when using mqnload, I cannot get ether play or control to load at the same time.

When I get the command screen I see the selected tracks, sometimes they remain visible, more often than not the screen disappears - Mr. Ling has told me this is how mqn is working these days. I have been in LP land (well, I am always in LP land) exclusively for the months between WASAPI and KS - I am working on a DAC (for months - as soon as I think I have it settled somebody like nige2000 has to bring up something that changes the direction ... I have not been in a hurry to get it done.

When I look in TASK MANAGER I will usually, but not always, see mqndaemon and either one of the two mqn files. There has been no consistency as to what happens with different installs. I am speaking of full installs.

I did get it to work ONCE a few weeks ago with both a full 10 install and a first step (NTLite) 10 minimized install (installs on separate SSds).

Last night, or the night before, with a full install I got TWO command screens, one titled MQN - Just good music and the other mqncontrol. Ever heard of that happening? I have been using non-avx files since that is what J Ling was using. The only time it worked was with the files Jonathan recommended which were the last "regular" files before you went ONLY avx.

This same night the mqncontrol was listed as an APP in task manager and mqndaemon as a background process.

I would understand weirdness with my modified installs but am flummoxed with the full installs not working. To repeat, the "problem" is the same with full or minimized.

I do all of the typical things - disable smart screen, IE phsihing filter, firewall, user account control. Am I missing a fundamental step? I have re-read the threads in hopes of noticing something. The only thing that caught my eye was the slightly different .bat you posted recently but that did not make any difference.

Another strange thing: why would mqnload get control or play to show up in TASK MANAGER when .bat usually just gives me a coupl eof flashes? I have surmised that the flashes are from user account control even though it is turned off in control panel AND I have hecked the registry just to be sure.

I have changed ownership of all files to EVERYONE, since that is what was best in XP installs, in hopes it would eliminate another possible bottleneck but it makes no difference. Back to the one time I got it to work all files were owned by EVERYONE in the minimized OS.

I am under the impression that none of the following are required for mqn to work: this is beside the point, I know, but I would like to be sure. All of these were on when the events above occurred.
Net Framework 4.5
Internet Explorer 11
Media Features
Print and Document Features
Remote Differential Compression API Support
SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing
Power Shell
Work Folders Client
XPS Services

When I turned them ALL off I returned to one command screen (MQN Just good music) title sof selected tracks would appear but nothing else other than a blinking cursor. This screen would stay until I made it go away. Most of the time this screen was fleeting which MAY be the way it is supposed to be but when this happens mqnplay, if it ever showed up in TASK MANAGER, went away simultaneously with the command screen.

The command screen going away is a nice touch. Just want to be sure that is intended! When it goes away does it go away entirely or is there still something in the taskbar? I had read one needs to use TASK MANAGER to turn it off. When mqnplay would load as soon as the command screen disappeared I would see the steady increase in memory usage described until the task was ended.

I was hoping these problems were the result of using a two cores CPU. That is why I hoped I needed four cores though it is actually the last thing I want for tweaky reasons.

Excuse this jumbled mess of a note. It is hard to compress a month's worth of things going wrong in a few paragraphs. I know full well a full detailing would put one to sleep.

There is a staggering amount of useless stuff in 8.1 and 10 for an audio, only, install. Whether MS has learned a way to make all of this bloat benign with these new OSs or if there is the possibility, as there was with XP, with the removal making a very positive difference one will only know if it is tried. I do think 10 can be got down to 1G which is a long way from the 18M we could whittle XP down to but I think there is something good possible with that much of a decrease. I see no reason that a trimmed WINDOWS to not be superior to any LINUX install for the main reason that no one makes an excellent sounding player. MQN is a great motivator! Plus plenty of those LINUX distros are pretty boated themselves.

I look forward to being shown a fool for missing something obvious!
phonograph, amplifiers & speakers
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

rickmcinnis wrote:I have hesitated to ask you or anyone here, with the exception of Mr. Ling (who has been the soul of kindness) for help on this because I am so damned embarrassed I am having this problem.

But it is quite simple - even with a full install, even when using mqnload, I cannot get ether play or control to load at the same time.

When I get the command screen I see the selected tracks, sometimes they remain visible, more often than not the screen disappears - Mr. Ling has told me this is how mqn is working these days. I have been in LP land (well, I am always in LP land) exclusively for the months between WASAPI and KS - I am working on a DAC (for months - as soon as I think I have it settled somebody like nige2000 has to bring up something that changes the direction ... I have not been in a hurry to get it done.

When I look in TASK MANAGER I will usually, but not always, see mqndaemon and either one of the two mqn files. There has been no consistency as to what happens with different installs. I am speaking of full installs.

I did get it to work ONCE a few weeks ago with both a full 10 install and a first step (NTLite) 10 minimized install (installs on separate SSds).

Last night, or the night before, with a full install I got TWO command screens, one titled MQN - Just good music and the other mqncontrol. Ever heard of that happening? I have been using non-avx files since that is what J Ling was using. The only time it worked was with the files Jonathan recommended which were the last "regular" files before you went ONLY avx.

This same night the mqncontrol was listed as an APP in task manager and mqndaemon as a background process.

I would understand weirdness with my modified installs but am flummoxed with the full installs not working. To repeat, the "problem" is the same with full or minimized.

I do all of the typical things - disable smart screen, IE phsihing filter, firewall, user account control. Am I missing a fundamental step? I have re-read the threads in hopes of noticing something. The only thing that caught my eye was the slightly different .bat you posted recently but that did not make any difference.

Another strange thing: why would mqnload get control or play to show up in TASK MANAGER when .bat usually just gives me a coupl eof flashes? I have surmised that the flashes are from user account control even though it is turned off in control panel AND I have hecked the registry just to be sure.

I have changed ownership of all files to EVERYONE, since that is what was best in XP installs, in hopes it would eliminate another possible bottleneck but it makes no difference. Back to the one time I got it to work all files were owned by EVERYONE in the minimized OS.

I am under the impression that none of the following are required for mqn to work: this is beside the point, I know, but I would like to be sure. All of these were on when the events above occurred.
Net Framework 4.5
Internet Explorer 11
Media Features
Print and Document Features
Remote Differential Compression API Support
SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing
Power Shell
Work Folders Client
XPS Services

When I turned them ALL off I returned to one command screen (MQN Just good music) title sof selected tracks would appear but nothing else other than a blinking cursor. This screen would stay until I made it go away. Most of the time this screen was fleeting which MAY be the way it is supposed to be but when this happens mqnplay, if it ever showed up in TASK MANAGER, went away simultaneously with the command screen.

The command screen going away is a nice touch. Just want to be sure that is intended! When it goes away does it go away entirely or is there still something in the taskbar? I had read one needs to use TASK MANAGER to turn it off. When mqnplay would load as soon as the command screen disappeared I would see the steady increase in memory usage described until the task was ended.

I was hoping these problems were the result of using a two cores CPU. That is why I hoped I needed four cores though it is actually the last thing I want for tweaky reasons.

Excuse this jumbled mess of a note. It is hard to compress a month's worth of things going wrong in a few paragraphs. I know full well a full detailing would put one to sleep.

There is a staggering amount of useless stuff in 8.1 and 10 for an audio, only, install. Whether MS has learned a way to make all of this bloat benign with these new OSs or if there is the possibility, as there was with XP, with the removal making a very positive difference one will only know if it is tried. I do think 10 can be got down to 1G which is a long way from the 18M we could whittle XP down to but I think there is something good possible with that much of a decrease. I see no reason that a trimmed WINDOWS to not be superior to any LINUX install for the main reason that no one makes an excellent sounding player. MQN is a great motivator! Plus plenty of those LINUX distros are pretty boated themselves.

I look forward to being shown a fool for missing something obvious!
too many details. have you tried other players - playpcmwin for instance

there's a program called kssample.exe in the mqn directory, can you get that to work ?
TioFrancotirdor

Post by TioFrancotirdor »

sbgk wrote:
Ken Moreland wrote:I like 4.16 (but I also like 4.12 and 4.10 like an Aldi advert) and the MQN.bat run as admin via shortcut is also good and convenient too.
yup, thought 4.16 was a bit different, but 4.12 might be more realistic
+1
ASUS-H81i Plus, i3 4360, 8GB RAM, Linear PSU. USB/PCI PPA Studio V2.
Ubuntu Live USB in RAM
Soekris R2R Salas Ref D powered -> Modulus 86 -> MA Silver 8
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

too many details. have you tried other players - playpcmwin for instance

there's a program called kssample.exe in the mqn directory, can you get that to work ?[/quote]

Have not tried that, but will.

Thanks,
John Dot

Post by John Dot »

rickmcinnis wrote:too many details. have you tried other players - playpcmwin for instance

there's a program called kssample.exe in the mqn directory, can you get that to work ?

Have not tried that, but will.

Thanks,
Try Mqnload + earlier version of MQn. Let's say "Mqn 7.44 1644" and "MQncontrol 3.84 normal". Try that combo. Remember to download proper Ffmpeg for Mqnload.
Thumbs up!
PC: CPU Q8400, 8GB Ram, Windows 8.1 x64
DAC: HRT Music Streamer II+, Asus Xonar Essence ST (+ HiEnd DYI upgrades)
rickmcinnis

Post by rickmcinnis »

Mr. Dot,

I only use .wav files.

I assume that Ffmpeg is for decoding FLAC so not part of my problem. Wish it was ...

I will try the suggested files.

Thanks,
Octagon

Post by Octagon »

Hi Rick,
you have mail....
;)
Thomas
Coax tractrix horn system 2 corner subwoofer / 6 full digital amplifier D802 floating PSU 12V battery / digital XO/DRC / 2 PC floating PSU picoless battery/Mutec REF 10/2x Mutec MC3.1+ USB floating PSU 6V/FireFace UCX floating PSU 12V battery/Mutec MC-4
sima66

Post by sima66 »

sbgk wrote:4.17 is just an updated version of 4.12

uploaded 9.10 play avx2 aa/tf/cuinas/aleg

had one setting incorrect in the device opening function
Thanks to Aleg for "adapting" the "aleg versions" for my Sonicweld device, I jumped from 9.01avx2 to 9.10avx2 and I can say that the 9.10avx2 it's a quite of improvement, specially on the lower end. The bass is much better, cleaner and tighter.
Bass was always my biggest complaint to the KS. To loud and boomish, shadowing everything else.
Now, for my taste and system, this is the perfect balance.

All this with the mqncontrol 3.97avx2. :)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS