MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
erin

Re: MQN

Post by erin »

jesuscheung wrote:
erin wrote:jesuscheung, can you tell me which CPU and motherboard you use?
Also which OS are you using?
I am curious?
thanks
Erin
3770K.
z77 asus board.
i use all 7, 2012, and 2012 R2.
May I ask a few more questions?

Have you tested a few different CPU's and found the i7 to be the best sounding?

A few years ago I did a few tests and found the celeron to be the best sounding. But I will qualifiy this by saying that I only tested a few CPU's and the i7 and i3 were not in the test!

I have the same question regarding the z77. Is this a good board for audio?

I might purchase a new CPU but I am undecided which way to go. Can you or anyone tell me if i3, i7 or Celeron or new Haswell is the way to go? Can I also ask, If I was to buy the cheapest Haswell CPU, will that be as good for audio as the most expensive Haswell?

I'm also asking the question because I find that the version(s) of MQn that sound best on my system often varies with the opinion of others.

Thanks
Erin
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
goon-heaven

Post by goon-heaven »

jesuscheung wrote:sorry. i meant yes, i prefer sse4.. haha
Retried 2.64 sse4 once more.. doesnt make me twitch as much as sse2..
Me thinks the gas in Sse2 is more potent.
Haha, I'll dig out some Black Sabbath
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

erin wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:
erin wrote:jesuscheung, can you tell me which CPU and motherboard you use?
Also which OS are you using?
I am curious?
thanks
Erin
3770K.
z77 asus board.
i use all 7, 2012, and 2012 R2.
May I ask a few more questions?

Have you tested a few different CPU's and found the i7 to be the best sounding?

A few years ago I did a few tests and found the celeron to be the best sounding. But I will qualifiy this by saying that I only tested a few CPU's and the i7 and i3 were not in the test!

I have the same question regarding the z77. Is this a good board for audio?

I might purchase a new CPU but I am undecided which way to go. Can you or anyone tell me if i3, i7 or Celeron or new Haswell is the way to go?

I'm also asking the question because I find that the version(s) of MQn that sound best on my system often varies with the opinion of others.

Thanks
Erin
I would say the best CPU is intel one with the most L1, L2, L3 cache. coz MQn makes use of them. also pick a CPU ends with k, e.g. 2500k, 3770k, 4770k. coz you can customize their voltage, frequency, voltage regulation in the bios. all affects sound.

don't worry too much about CPU (i have had 2500k,2600k,3770k with proper tuning they sound similar). RAM is more important. pick an expensive ram rated with tight timing. don't buy ram with timing like 9-10-10, or 8-8-7 etc. buy one with x-x-x ie 5-5-5, 6-6-6, 7-7-7, 9-9-9 etc.

z77 and z87 boards are overclocking board. i believe they have better voltage regulation also you can customize.

also make sure the board you pick has dedicated IRQ for your DAC.

no idea about power supply.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote: don't worry too much about CPU (i have had 2500k,2600k,3770k with proper tuning they sound similar). RAM is more important. pick an expensive ram rated with tight timing. don't buy ram with timing like 9-10-10, or 8-8-7 etc. buy one with x-x-x ie 5-5-5, 6-6-6, 7-7-7, 9-9-9 etc.

z77 and z87 boards are overclocking board. i believe they have better voltage regulation also you can customize.

also make sure the board you pick has dedicated IRQ for your DAC.

no idea about power supply.
haswell if you want to future proof it, has 256 bit streaming loads/writes and other good stuff. wait for the y suffix - ultra low power.

I like the sse4 intrinsic versions, the sse2 just sounds unnatural and a bit thin, might be able to improve on that.

Have uploaded mqnplay.exe 2.64 sse4 intrinsic tlb pref v2 which has tlb priming, sounds pretty sorted.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

goon-heaven wrote:
jesuscheung wrote:sorry. i meant yes, i prefer sse4.. haha
Retried 2.64 sse4 once more.. doesnt make me twitch as much as sse2..
Me thinks the gas in Sse2 is more potent.
Haha, I'll dig out some Black Sabbath
War pigs on 2.6 sse4 8 4 cp
Try that

have had a few builds

could never tell difference between i3 and i7 with sandybridge
cant tell difference between i7 sandy and ivybridge

think haswell sounds better for power reasons and more adjustabke bios
yet again cant tell between i5 and i3 with haswell either

think all your doing is adding more cpu cores you don't need

prefer snall mobos and major brand names
Last edited by nige2000 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
goon-heaven

Post by goon-heaven »

sbgk wrote: I like the sse4 intrinsic versions, the sse2 just sounds unnatural and a bit thin, might be able to improve on that.
Perhaps I change me monniker to Jack Sprat :)
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:
haswell if you want to future proof it, has and other good stuff. wait for the y suffix - ultra low power. 256 bit streaming loads/writes
"256 bit streaming loads/writes"? how can i tell from reading the CPU spec? just wana find out if a high end CPU like 3970X has 256 streaming loads/writes.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

Think its called avx2 on the intel spec sheet under instruction set
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:
sbgk wrote:
haswell if you want to future proof it, has and other good stuff. wait for the y suffix - ultra low power. 256 bit streaming loads/writes
"256 bit streaming loads/writes"? how can i tell from reading the CPU spec? just wana find out if a high end CPU like 3970X has 256 streaming loads/writes.
the 256 bit may or may not sound better, but haswell and windows 8.1/r2 also has hardware offloading, so if a device mfr enables that in the future you will be able to offload the sound processing to a hardware device, not sure if this would improve the sound, but the idea is that the cpu can be at a low power state and the music still streams.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote:Think its called avx2 on the intel spec sheet under instruction set
sbgk wrote:the 256 bit may or may not sound better, but haswell and windows 8.1/r2 also has hardware offloading, so if a device mfr enables that in the future you will be able to offload the sound processing to a hardware device, not sure if this would improve the sound, but the idea is that the cpu can be at a low power state and the music still streams.
thx.

haswell vs 3970X
one has AVX2
one has much more L1 L2 L3 cache.

3970X can have low power consumption. just downclock.

which CPU is more likely better for SQ?

i have used media player classic optimized for AVX. compared to VLC and others, motions are much much better on my low end graphic card. AVX can be good.