What are you listening to?

DaveF

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.6

Sounds amazing everytime I hear it, lovely ambient sound in this recording. Quite surprised too at how much bass the Leben 10watter can muster up. Would really love to have the Kharma sub for this sort of stuff though.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

This is a very strange recording of Bernstein´s Candide. It is a live concert performance narrated by a character called Loriot who seems to be very popular in Germany. Hell, he even gets top billing and the cover of the album!
The narration in German can be a little irritating for an American operetta, but the performance is actually quite good. Best of all is the super virtuoso playing of the former RIAS Symphonieorchester, they even eclipse the LSO in Bernstein´s own recording. It is also surprising to find Harnoncourt´s favourite mezzo, Marjana Lipovsek as the "Old Lady". But she is very entertaining, and obviously enjoys her song. Sylvia Koke also is splendid as Cunegonde, and "Glitter and be gay" is dispatched with impressive ease. Only Jerry Hadley, who also sang the title role for Bernstein, is a let down, his voice sounds worn and no longer fresh. Sadly, he committed suicide a few years later.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphonies No.1&2

fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
Did you enjoy it Dave?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Continuing with Bernstein musicals: On the Town!
The 1950´s film with Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly was totally ruined and disfigured with horrendous cuts.
In the late 80´s Michael Tilson Thomas presented it in semi staged form with the LSO and a brilliant cast. I can´t understand why it hasn´t been issued on dvd.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Continuing with Bernstein musicals: On the Town!

It looks like you are having a party with your musicals Pepe LOL!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán

Post by Seán »

Image Image

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Symphony No 35

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Claudio Abbado - conducting.

Symphony No 35
Prague Chamber Orchestra
Charles Mackerras - conducting.

I listened to both Haffner's this morning. To my ear there is no comparison between the two except to say that they both play this magnificent work with great vigour and joy however, the Abbado led Berliners really leave the Czech's in the shade when it comes to the glorious range of tone colours in their performances, their recording rewards repeated listening: so I am well rewarded. Recommended.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler