Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
DaveF

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
Classic shot :-) Is this the original Dave or the three Lp version? If it's the latter,what do you think of the sonics?
It's the single disc version. Its one of Universal's Back to Black Vinyl reissues. I dont know anything about the triple Lp version but I'm sure you're about to tell me about it! :-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:
cybot wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
Classic shot :-) Is this the original Dave or the three Lp version? If it's the latter,what do you think of the sonics?
It's the single disc version. Its one of Universal's Back to Black Vinyl reissues. I dont know anything about the triple Lp version but I'm sure you're about to tell me about it! :-)
Sorry Dave I genuinely (honestly!) thought you had the triple version. I have the original too but I didn't get that 'til after I bought the triple. I bought it in Tower a while back for only €25.99 and it's on the Polydor label with informative sleeve notes etc plus one side devoted to a New York session they did around the time of the album I think and three sides devoted to a live set they did at The Young Vic. As for the sound I can't remember. I must dig it out later... I've seen it recently and it should be handy enough to pick up. However I would wholeheartedly recommend the BBC Sessions....on vinyl,of course :-)
BTW I don't have any time for the BTBV issues; maybe it's only me?
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

[quote="cybot][The Who, Triple Vinyl set]... I've seen it recently and it should be handy enough to pick up.
BTW I don't have any time for the BTBV issues; maybe it's only me?[/quote]

Thanks cybot, I'll keep an eye out for that set.
As for the BTBV issues, I have just a few of them and whereas the sleeve notes are usually basic at best, I havent had any sound problems and the pressings have been fairly good so far. As someone who's still building up a vinyl collection, I'm glad what BTBV guys are doing. I've picked up a few classic records that otherwise might have been difficult to source. I'm sure it has tempted a few people back into vinyl also.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF wrote:[quote="cybot][The Who, Triple Vinyl set]... I've seen it recently and it should be handy enough to pick up.
BTW I don't have any time for the BTBV issues; maybe it's only me?
Thanks cybot, I'll keep an eye out for that set.
As for the BTBV issues, I have just a few of them and whereas the sleeve notes are usually basic at best, I havent had any sound problems and the pressings have been fairly good so far. As someone who's still building up a vinyl collection, I'm glad what BTBV guys are doing. I've picked up a few classic records that otherwise might have been difficult to source. I'm sure it has tempted a few people back into vinyl also.[/quote][/quote]

I was in Dublin today and I spotted The Who triple in Freebird for €19.99! I also spotted a fantastic Jimi Hendrix double (live at the Winterland) in Borderline for the same price and, Dave, you've got to get it :)
You're right about the BTBV issues especially if you have it bad about vinyl :)
cybot

Post by cybot »

As I said previously,spotted in Borderline on yummy double vinyl and as fine an introduction to the best of Jimi live as I can think of :)

cybot

Post by cybot »

Spotted in the George's St. Arcade on original vinyl too.This really takes me back. 17 minutes of magic on the flip side in the shape of Nantucket Sleighride and their best version...

Long Red
Taking me away
Crossroader
Nantucket Sleighride

Nantucket Sleighride
Goodbye, little Robin-Marie
Don't try following me
Don't cry, little Robin-Marie
'Cause you know I'm coming home soon

My ships' leaving on a three-year tour
The next tide will take us from shore
Windlaced, gather in sail and spray
On a search for the mighty sperm whale

Fly your willow branches
Wrap your body round my soul
Lay down your reeds and drums on my soft sheets
There are years behind us reaching
To the place where hearts are beating
And I know you're the last true love I'll ever meet

Starbuck's sharpening his harpoon
The black man's playing his tune
An old salt's sleeping his watch away
He'll be drunk again before noon

Three years sailing on bended knee
We found no whales in the sea
Don't cry, little Robin-Marie
'Cause we'll be in sight of land soon
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

cybot wrote:As I said previously,spotted in Borderline on yummy double vinyl and as fine an introduction to the best of Jimi live as I can think of :)

I have that from years ago - and yes it is great!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:
cybot wrote:As I said previously,spotted in Borderline on yummy double vinyl and as fine an introduction to the best of Jimi live as I can think of :)

I have that from years ago - and yes it is great!

Fran
What are you waiting for Dave :) BTW Fran, I also spotted the Jimi Hendrix singles collection double that I helped you get in the old Forum, remember?
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Where did you see it cybot?

I did buy it from EIL in the UK - love that arrangement of his stuff.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Where did you see it cybot?

I did buy it from EIL in the UK - love that arrangement of his stuff.

Fran
I was only in two second hand shops yesterday: Borderline and,what used to be Mac's Records in the George's St. Arcade; so it's definitely in one of those...I was also in Freeebird but I'm sure I didn't see it there. Happy hunting.