MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
sima66

Re: MQN

Post by sima66 »

Sorry DaveF, I thought that "F" it's from your "fuckwittery" word, which I'm still trying to find in dictionary! ;-)
I5 4440+TXCOmobo+JCAT Femto-Intona-JKRegen+HynesPS+TeraDak ATX-820W=JCATusb=DiverterHR=Wadia 931/922(GNSC mod)=PassLabsXA100.5=2xValhalla=Stacked&moded ESL57+JAS SuperTweet+2MJ Acoustics Ref.I
4SteinHarmonizers;RR777;Tellus;StillpointsUltraSS
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Lads (plural) take a deep breath and take step back. It's getting silly.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

is anyone comparing 2.61 with 2.63?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 4 x 2.64 versions, bit of an experiment, don't know what they sound like. rather than use the assembly code I used something called intrinsics which can have an advantage over assembly, I then used some of the instructions that the intrinsics generated on the 2.63 version.
erin

Post by erin »

tony wrote:Does anyone know a freebie Flac converter? Why can I never find the free ones?
Foobar alows you to convert from .flac to .wav. Its free.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php ... :Converter

you will probably need to download a plugin and put it in the correct folder. I'm sure you will figure it out!
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
erin

Post by erin »

DaveF wrote:
As for my "opinion", I have enough technical knowledge to know that its highly unlikely that placing files in the root etc could change sound quality. I'll try certain things if I think there is a technical explanation/reason behind no matter how small but this file thing is stretching it a bit for me.
Dave, I formerly was a CMP + cPlay user. (not sure if you have heard of this playback software?)

When you load your entire library so that it can be browsed in cPlay, it sounded one way, then when you load only one album (the one you are going to play) it sounded much better. I heard it with my own ears! The reason given was that less memory was used

I would not have believed this stuff unless I heard it myself, then I did, and now I do.
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

sima66 wrote:
tony wrote:
Sima66
I guess that all of you who are making fun of the PFM, are nothing better than them!

Ouch that hurt. Hope nobody has got to that point. There are 16k+ punters on PFM and lots of nice people.
But if you read the threads on computer audio on that forum 5-7 people descend and mayhem ensues.
If anybody 'laughs' at that here that is instead of going mad with frustration at the carry on.

Very much hope you are not taking that vibe here. My answer was honest but I do agree with you everything should be tried before either condemning or passing an opinion.
My honest view is that it is the cumulative things being discussed that work. There are some big hitters I just passed a remark that I think it is possibly at the low end.

Don't forget Marcin waxed lyrical about the Musica Ibuki dac and various other things. We all change our minds over time and with new info or direction truisms can change.
I apologize if I was misunderstood or unintentionally offended anybody! That was never my intention.
My point is that this same guys who are commenting on this matter without trying it, where laughing at PFM for doing the exact same thing (commenting on MQn without trying it).
I said that I won't comment on this any more, but I have to clarify something here. I certainly tried it, and I can hear no difference. I can blame either my ears or my equipment not being able to distinguish that kind of difference. All I know about computers, and technical matters tells me that it should no be any difference, but I will continue to believe to anything related to computer audio.
I didn't believe to some other stuff, but I wasn't right, I learned later.
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

sbgk wrote:uploaded 4 x 2.64 versions, bit of an experiment, don't know what they sound like. rather than use the assembly code I used something called intrinsics which can have an advantage over assembly, I then used some of the instructions that the intrinsics generated on the 2.63 version.

prefer:
1st. 2.64 sse4 intel xmm ptr.64 xmm ptr
2nd. 2.64 sse4 intel intrinsic.64
3rd. 2.64 sse4 intel eax sub -128 dec rax.64

am not too interested with eax sub -128.

-xmm and intrinsic are very revealing, yet somewhat mellow. on some level, they are the most revealing of all versions.
-xmm has very good focus. but heard better.
-stage needs to be bigger. stage is close to ears. surprisingly ears not hurt at all. stage needs fix.
-xmm might have the best piano sound. not the best in every little thing. but certainly a all around best

these versions has some breakthroughs!
Aleg

Post by Aleg »

tony wrote:Does anyone know a freebie Flac converter? Why can I never find the free ones?
Tony

Download the dBPoweramp music converter trial version.
After 21-days trial of full functionality it will revert to the somewhat limited free version. Conversion will remain if I understand correctly.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

jesuscheung wrote:
sbgk wrote:uploaded 4 x 2.64 versions, bit of an experiment, don't know what they sound like. rather than use the assembly code I used something called intrinsics which can have an advantage over assembly, I then used some of the instructions that the intrinsics generated on the 2.63 version.

prefer:
1st. 2.64 sse4 intel xmm ptr.64 xmm ptr
2nd. 2.64 sse4 intel intrinsic.64
3rd. 2.64 sse4 intel eax sub -128 dec rax.64

am not too interested with eax sub -128.

-xmm and intrinsic are very revealing, yet somewhat mellow. on some level, they are the most revealing of all versions.
-xmm has very good focus. but heard better.
-stage needs to be bigger. stage is close to ears. surprisingly ears not hurt at all. stage needs fix.
-xmm might have the best piano sound. not the best in every little thing. but certainly a all around best

these versions has some breakthroughs!
did you try the sse2 version ? that was my intrinsic version of no buff