What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

Even if Brüggen´s last recording of the St. John Passion didn´t live up to expectations (mostly because of a worn and tired Michael Chance), this Easter Oratorio is nothing short of exceptional.
Brüggen has a natural feeling for Bach, and his incomparable orchestra once more amply demonstrate that they are still the finest hip orchestra in the World. My God, that flute in the soprano aria!!!!
Last edited by Jose Echenique on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Stravinsky - Symphony in C (Alexander Gibson, Royal Scottish National Orchestra, Chandos)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Saint-Saens - Symphony No.3 Organ (E. Power Biggs/Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Sony Classical)

Seán

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:Saint-Saens - Symphony No.3 Organ (E. Power Biggs/Eugene Ormandy, Philadelphia Orchestra, Sony Classical)

It is gorgeous.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:Image
I love the Quartetto Italiano's music-making and their Mozart is superb.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ciaran wrote:Image

Very enjoyable 2-SACD set of Debussy's orchestral music by the RSNO under Stéphane Denève.
I don't have that set but I do really like Stéphane Denève's work with the RSNO.

I haven't made up my mind about Rued Langgaard yet, but this SACD was well reviewed in Gramophone and I quite liked Quartet No. 2 last night. If I get on well with the rest, I might pull out The Music of the Spheres again!
Ciaran, do you have any recordings of Langgard Symphonies and if you do what do you make of them?
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Seán wrote:
Ciaran wrote:I haven't made up my mind about Rued Langgaard yet, but this SACD was well reviewed in Gramophone and I quite liked Quartet No. 2 last night. If I get on well with the rest, I might pull out The Music of the Spheres again!
Ciaran, do you have any recordings of Langgard Symphonies and if you do what do you make of them?
They were making a lot of noise about Langgaard about ten years ago and I got The Music of the Spheres then. I quite liked it, but only listened once. Unless I make some progress with it and the string quartets I won't be buying the symphonies! The DNSO/Dausgaard 7-SACD set is supposed to be good, but some say the quality of the symphonies themselves is pretty variable: decades of being unsuccessful crushed his talent.

fergus

Post by fergus »

Winterreise.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra