MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
nige2000

Re: MQN

Post by nige2000 »

8.70 >> 8.71

Noise floor us good in 8.70 compared to <8.64
Good detail and speed but seems a little dull needs dynamic definition/impact
is noticeable on piano
all in all good improvements

bad explanation drawing but have to try
Image[/url]
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jrling

Post by jrling »

I think I need an explanation!
Also how are you measuring noise?

Cheers
Jonathan
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

subjectively

is this where you harp on about measurements and blind testing?
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jrling

Post by jrling »

nige2000 wrote:subjectively

is this where you harp on about measurements and blind testing?
Not aware that I have done so before, but am not going to do so now. Just wanted to understand what your graph was saying.

I do think that we would all benefit from understanding why changes made to the MQn code have an effect - both positive & negative, so that Gordon could be even more effective. But after a complete thread run by jkeny on this forum, I don't think anyone came up with any proposal for how to do the measurements.
Maplin XM21X 12V float charging A123 26650 LiFePO4 battery/Maxwell Supercap PSU for Mitac PD10-BI J1900 Bay Trail, WTFPlay, Hiface Evo, Bow Technologies 1704 NOS DAC, StereoKnight TVC, Quad II monoblocks, ZU Audio Druid Mk4/Method Sub
sebna

Post by sebna »

nige2000 wrote:8.70 >> 8.71

Noise floor us good in 8.70 compared to <8.64
Good detail and speed but seems a little dull needs dynamic definition/impact
is noticeable on piano
all in all good improvements

bad explanation drawing but have to try
Image[/url]
That is a very good visualization.

What I discovered recently is that I like version 8 for electronica where a bit of rounding and loss of texture is welcomed but WASAPi is still so much better on acoustic music like jazz for example.

Version 8 (have to check at which I have stopped recently) has more realistic soundstaging making objects more 3d and also projecting overall greater depth sensation.

Cheers
i5@800mhz haswell, 16gb @800mhz, H87 mb with PPA TCXO, PPA V1 USB
no storage of any kind, SATA disabled in BIOS, RAMos, W2012 R2, AO 1.26, MQN
Teradak ATX LPSU 210W & 5v LPSU for clean 5v to DAC
Meitner MA-1, Primare Pre30 + A33.2, Zingali HM 2.10+
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

ahh just what i meant about a lack of assertiveness in regards dynamic definition/agility and clarity
it seems a little smooth
highs and lows seem to be curtailed
yet some aspects of detail is very good maybe these aspects have not been revealed before in wasapi
because detail is usually curtailed when there is a smoothing effect and to some extent it still could be

i realise I'm explaining myself badly now
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

sebna wrote: What I discovered recently is that I like version 8 for electronica where a bit of rounding and loss of texture is welcomed but WASAPi is still so much better on acoustic music like jazz for example.

Version 8 (have to check at which I have stopped recently) has more realistic soundstaging making objects more 3d and also projecting overall greater depth sensation.

yes wasapi has a very realistic sound staging and texture with pin point accuracy as you say
cvrle59

Post by cvrle59 »

nige2000 wrote:
sebna wrote: What I discovered recently is that I like version 8 for electronica where a bit of rounding and loss of texture is welcomed but WASAPi is still so much better on acoustic music like jazz for example.

yes wasapi has a very realistic sound staging and texture with pin point accuracy as you say
You must have your favorite wasapi version. I am wandering what that is?
i3 Haswell, PPAStudio USB3 card and USB Micro cable/Chord Hugo/Nad-275BEE/Harbeth-30.1
sbgk

Post by sbgk »

uploaded 8.73, maybe better detail

interesting discussion on

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based ... ost4112228

posts 81 to 84, never seen that discussed before, implication seems to be that 48 hz is better than 44.1
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

8.16 avx2

Which is 4kb
current ks is 104kb
maybe that's a factor