What are you listening to?

Jose Echenique

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jose Echenique »

A sad Abschied.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Hi Fergus, have you given any consideration to getting the Vänskä/Minnesota Orchestra cycle? It is very good.
I have indeed Seán but it is not a high priority for me at the moment.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

I threw on a bit of The Musical Offering yesterday evening after the earlier discussion. I don't know how long it is since I've listened to this music, but it was certainly many systems ago! In any case, the music far exceeded my memory of it, and I enjoyed it so much I may need to buy a second recording. Even the sonics weren't as I remembered them: I had a scratchy, uber-digital sound in my head, not the warm and smooth sound that emanated from the speakers.

So thanks for getting me to listen to this again.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

having listed my favorites across the way, I went on a trawl, and discovered I had forgotten all about Rachel Podger (who performs my second favorite Bach Sonatas and Partitas) here teaming up with Manze.... HIP Heaven!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Seán

Post by Seán »

jaybee wrote:Image

having listed my favorites across the way, I went on a trawl, and discovered I had forgotten all about Rachel Podger (who performs my second favorite Bach Sonatas and Partitas) here teaming up with Manze.... HIP Heaven!!
I am very interested in getting some of Rachel Pdger's Bach reordings, I understand that she is held in high regard, I haven't heard her yet though.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:Image

Given the line up that CD certainly looks like a winner!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

it's on amazon for buttons at the moment too.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... ition=used

zoverstocks i have used at least 10 times and their descriptions of condition are conservative.... last "very good" i bought was still shrink wrapped, but some of the wrap was torn!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Jose Echenique wrote:I wasn´t too happy with the Chailly either Seán, and feel very frustrated because I really wanted a top modern cycle with the great Gewandhaus Orchestra, but it was not to be.
I enjoyed the Chailly cycle but it was a little idiosyncratic and a slight disappointment. My disappoint is tempered by the fact that I heard those forces playing four of the symphonies live late last year at the Barbican - wonderful occasions.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Stravinsky - Symphonies of Wind instruments & La Sacre du Printemps (Kent Nagano, London Symphony Orchestra, Virgin Classics)

How did you get on with that one Darren? Nagano is not a conductor that I am familiar with.
Very well. The Sacre was one of the most mellow I have in my collection (I agree btw; it's hard to play it mellow). It was a nice change to the usual blood and thunder approach.

Nagano is, on the whole, a 'steady eddie' type conductor, but I'm rarely disappointed by him.