Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

That has always been a particular favourite of mine and it still makes an impression when I hear it even after all the years of listening.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"Wish you were here" is usually the only album I listen to from Pink Floyd, which I've always much prefered over DSOTM. Anyway, this sounded fantastic on vinyl.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

picked this one up on Lp recently...

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jonnyone

Post by jonnyone »

DaveF wrote:Image

"Wish you were here" is usually the only album I listen to from Pink Floyd, which I've always much prefered over DSOTM. Anyway, this sounded fantastic on vinyl.
Great choice
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Inspired by Fergus I put this one on the TT....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Not nearly as 'difficult' as some reviews indicated but still I'd only recommend it to the more open minded listeners. Side 2 of the record had the most accessible material as the songs there had more 'structure' than the more free form style of side 1. The man could certainly sing. What a voice! Reckon I'll listen to this one a few more times before I go back to Starsailor.
mcq

Post by mcq »

I've been listening this morning to one of my very favourite albums, Richard and Linda Thompson's I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight. Wonderfully direct, sincere, deeply heartfelt music. Beautiful singing from Linda which goes right to your heart. Just listen to songs such as Withered and Died, Down Where The Drunkards Roll and Has He Got A Friend For Me - wistful and exhausted but never sentimental and such subtle guitar playing from Richard. And some of Richard's finest singing as well - The Calvary Cross and The End Of The Rainbow are two of his greatest achievements. But every song stands out and the album, as a whole, is seamless in its perfection. Perhaps a common theme throughout the album is a kind of world-weariness that the protagonists of these songs feel as they contemplate dreams that have come to naught but also a self-disgust for the life that has been lived and their heartfelt pleas for some kind of redemption. And the closing track, The Great Valerio, perfectly encompasses all that has come before in its portrayal of the dreams and aspirations of the many which come to nothing as opposed to the few who attain greatness and command our respect (as encapsulated in the eponymous tightrope walker, the great Valerio himself).
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

DaveF wrote:Image

Not nearly as 'difficult' as some reviews indicated but still I'd only recommend it to the more open minded listeners. Side 2 of the record had the most accessible material as the songs there had more 'structure' than the more free form style of side 1. The man could certainly sing. What a voice! Reckon I'll listen to this one a few more times before I go back to Starsailor.
Thanks for your thoughts on Lorca, Dave. It really is a fabulous record but it does take time to fully absorb. And you're right about the change in styles from Side One - with the more adventurous title track and Anonymous Proposition - to the loose-limbed grooves of Side Two - I've always loved Driftin' in particular. And, as you say, what a voice. A true original whose music just gets better and better as the years drift by.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

cybot wrote:Image
This one is high up on my wanted list! :-)