Electronica - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Electronica - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

On baby blue vinyl....

"Two lengthy, sonorous tracks with looming, viscous currents offset by a seductive parade of pattering detail. Fluttering piano notes pierce shifting planes of texture, catspaws of white noise skip across the swell, and Echoplexed flurries float, like distant birdsong, back and forth across the threshold of audibility. Vryashn reveals a perfect balance between fluidity and architecture before disappearing into a haze of chiming bells." - The Wire
cybot

Post by cybot »

Never really 'got' this but what the hell....

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Currently listening to .....

The Field... Looping state of Mind.

Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Vinyl...

155 minutes spread over 8 sides from BBB Radiophonic Workshop founder...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Just warming up for Sunday :) Both double vinyl sets.....

Alva Noto/Blixa Bargeld - Mimikry

Kevin Drumm Ist
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Currently listening to "Biosphere"

Substrata : Man with a Music Camera, very mellow low tones, just right when one is in the groove.
Last edited by Adrian on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:Currently listening to "Biosphere"

Substrata : Man with a Music Camera, very mellow low tones, just right when one is in the groove.

Wow! I was just looking at the recent vinyl reissue of that album the other day!!!! Respect :) See below....
Unfortunately the price is ridiculous, to say the least....£37.99 not including p&p!!!!!

Boomkat product review for:
Biosphere - Substrata (Deluxe Vinyl Edition)
**Deluxe gatefold reissue, re-mastered and cut by Stefan Betke (Pole), including 14 minute bonus track. David Stubbs, Melody Maker, 1997: "The best ambient album i've heard in an ice age, an album of terrifying, desolate and all-enveloping beauty"** Finally available again. Ambient albums don't come much more highly respected than 'Substrata', it's a veritable milestone in electronic music. Geir Jenssen, better known to most as Biosphere, managed to compile his grand statement in 'Substrata' - a collection of tracks which best sum up his music and grand vision. Electronic drones, lightly plucked guitar, field recordings and haunting film samples are all thrown into the mix to create something which is less like listening to an album and more like watching a film. I think I can safely say that without this album ambient electronic music would look totally different. Jenssen was the first artist to incorporate all these peculiar elements into his music so successfully and without a hint of cynicism or the stench of new age, and when it was released back in 1997 of course it made waves in the music scene. Essential electronic music.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Received this earlier today and it's only amazing...

12" track listing:
Side A
1. El Divisadero - The Telegraph 7:56

Side B
2. Veracruz - The Tunnel 7:54

Chris Watson El Tren Fantasma
Reviewed by Andrew Weatherall

If your fifty things to do before you die list includes, ‘Take the Ghost Train from Los Mochis to Veracruz across country, coast to coast, Pacific to Atlantic,’ you can forget it. El Fantasma is no more. However, thanks to Chris Watson’s months spent on board travelling with some of the last passengers to ride the route and his subsequent recordings you can tick it off as ‘achieved’ and turn your attention to ‘driving Route 66′ or ‘Pamplona bull run’. That’s how evocative this piece of work is.

I’ve taken the trip, courtesy of Mr Watson, on a number of occasions but like any rail journey one undertakes regularly, although physically and geographically the same, in terms of evocation, memory and feeling they differ greatly each time. The aural equivalents of Marcel’s biscuit dunking moment change, morph and crystallize into a million thoughts and memories every time you leave the station. That’s how evocative this piece of work is.

Trying to describe Watson’s work would be like sharing last night’s dreams and you don’t want to hear about my suppressed feelings of wistful romantic regret, fear of ageing [that's the teeth falling out one],fear of the future or be taken on my erotic flights of fancy. I’ll stick to a sonic description and let you dream your own dreams.

As a thundering locomotive is given life by delicate micro-engineered machine parts El Tran Fantasma is given life by delicate micro-engineered machine manipulation. A train’s warning klaxon is, for a split second, shaped into the dying moment of a symphony’s last chord which in turn becomes a drone underpinned rhythmically by the rattle of rails. Sub-bass looms out of shunting yards and ether. Flies hovering over carrion sprout metallic wings until disturbed by clanging bells. Violent jolts as you enter tunnels and the air sucked out on exit shapes itself into distant church choirs. Jet-streams form delicate chords and harmonies.

At the same time none of this manipulation is heavy-handed or gimmicky and never detracts from the quality of the actual field recordings themselves. Frequencies are gently teased to provide triggers one would otherwise get visually from the actual journey. They talk of hazy daytime heat and damp night time cold. Of shimmering plains and lost histories. And that’s just the first stop.

“I’m giving you the complete works of Shakespeare and the Bible, your luxury is a never ending supply of Hine cognac; what’s the one record you would take with you if push came to shove?”

“That’s a tricky one Kirsty, but I guess it would have to be Chris Watson’s El Tran Fantasma. A benchmark in field recording not to mention a map of the soul, an insight into the human condition and a key to dreams.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Currently listening to ........Loscil ... First Narrows..

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The Orb Remixes.... US version... Auntie Aubrey's Excursions beyond the call of Duty... the Orb remix Project