Brexit

james

Re: Brexit

Post by james »

Hi Fran,

I ordered the Zavvi Jazz random selection before Christmas. Currently I am told DPD have it since 7th Jan and it was scheduled to be delivered a few days ago. The tracking number says it's still in the DPD warehouse (somewhere). We will see.

I wanted to buy something from England in the last week and the company told me not only are they not delivering to Ireland -- DPD has stopped all deliveries to the EU.

I would hate to be trying to run an export company in England at the moment.

There seems to be a bit of viciousness in the implementation of the Brexit laws ..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
Georgi

Post by Georgi »

It is a bit bizarre the whole situation.
I wanted to buy bread maker /don't ask, women/, non are in stock in any of the big stores, so eventually found one in England, point blank, they refused to send to ROI, tried with NI address, same thing, short answer, at the moment we don't do shipping to NI.
So, at the end, bought it from Netherlands with no issues whatsoever, bit pricey shipping, but it is heavy unit + insurance. Hopefully next week will be here. 🙂
Last edited by Georgi on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tony

Post by tony »

james wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:03 am There seems to be a bit of viciousness in the implementation of the Brexit laws ..
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55622331
James
No harm no reason to give anybody an easy ride considering the hassle they are putting us all through just to satisfy some imagined utopia that does not exist. The Scottish patrol boats are already in action at Rockall so it cuts both ways.

Membership gives privileges if you are not in best to feel the pain. At the end of the day the UK is now outside the union by choice. No advantage in playing nice to that Tory bunch.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
Naimaste

Post by Naimaste »

I have just agreed to buy a used self build (DIY) power supply from a pfm member in the UK.
It will ship today via parcel force.
I am curious to see what the damage will be- I'll update here when it arrives.
John
james

Post by james »

I ordered the Zavvi 6 jazz records for £20 at the end on November and they arrived today via DPD (posted on the 7 Jan). No extra charges.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

An order from Athens, via Discogs posted in December arrived this morning.
As usual as soon as the item left the country of origin it disappeared off the radar.
The sender in Greece had better access to An Post progress than I did (I had none) and could tell me the package would be in my local post office by the 20th.
His couriers cited, with some credibility, the time of year, Covid impact on staff and systems and to a lesser degree, Brexit. Anyway... happy man today...
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Ordered 2 LPs from Zavvi on the 15th, arrived today no hassle. Packed well enough to withstand a nuclear attack! There is light....
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
james

Post by james »

Ivor wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 pm Ordered 2 LPs from Zavvi on the 15th, arrived today no hassle. Packed well enough to withstand a nuclear attack! There is light....
https://www.zavvi.com/articles/inte ... ry.list

"...
Brexit update

zavvi can confirm that your shopping experience will not be impacted, and you will be able to continue to place orders as usual.

For customers located in the EU, most of our products will ship from our distribution centre within the EU and therefore ordering with us will continue as normal.

For any products shipping from the UK to addresses in the EU, tax and duties will be settled on your behalf with our courier, so there is no cost to you.
..."
Naimaste

Post by Naimaste »

Naimaste wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:31 pm I have just agreed to buy a used self build (DIY) power supply from a pfm member in the UK.
It will ship today via parcel force.
I am curious to see what the damage will be- I'll update here when it arrives.
John
Received with no customs declaratiom form. No charge levied.
Satrus

Post by Satrus »

While somewhat off topic perhaps, I really wonder how people in the U.K. afford anything in the High End Audio sector, that is imported. I recently decided to get the 10" and 7" Adapters for my KLAUDIO KD-CLN-LP200 Ultrasonic Cleaning machine. I had put this on a very 'long finger' because of a lack of demand for cleaning these categories of vinyl. The manufacturer, KLAUDIO, based in the Pacific North West in the United States had sold out of the 10" Adapter and wasn't expecting any further consignments. Luckily, having made a few inquiries to several European agents to no avail, I was able to get a set from the dealer from whom I bought my original machine in 2014 - his last set. He told me also that after I had inquired another customer was looking for them. I really got lucky. These accessories will not be manufactured again, it seems.

Out of curiosity, I checked a well known U.K. website and saw that the price for the 10" and 7" Adapter is ST£350.00 each. And yes, they were actually in stock and when you read further you will quickly realise why. Convert that price, excluding shipping costs, and you get a unit cost of €394.00 (approx.) each or €788 for both. If I had to import these from the U.K., out of necessity due to a lack of alternative options, I would have paid through the nose for them since I would be subjected to Irish VAT and Customs duties on arrival here in Ireland. I got my Adapters, brand new, for the all in price of €527 and that included €47 for UPS delivery from another European Union Member State. These are not inexpensive to begin with being priced at USD$199.00 each direct from the manufacturer in the U.S.A. and shipping of around USD$65.00 not to mention the further costs that would accrue here in terms of VAT and import duties. Too bad, KLAUDIO has discontinued the machine and accessories because the company could not make a profit on it. Last time I looked on that U.K website it was priced close to ST£6K!

People on this board who are serious audiophiles should look beyond the U.K. when purchasing future components unless they cannot source them from local sources. Not every brand is or can be represented here but there is nonetheless a very good selection available from the likes of Cloney Audio and The Listening Suite and those businesses deserve our support as the first ports of call. Those of you who intend to travel to Munich High End later this year, if indeed it can even go ahead, should forge contacts in the European Union while there for components that have no representation in Ireland. The U.K. is an awfully expensive country to source such components before one ever factors in the 'Brexit' conundrum.