Recent Viewing

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
b318isp

Re: Recent Viewing

Post by b318isp »

Yes Fergus, great movie - bought it on Eb** recently.
mcq

Post by mcq »

Has anybody ever seen The Ninth Configuration? It's a truly fantastic film that's written and directed by William Peter Blatty (he of The Exorcist fame). I first remember seeing it ages ago late at night and when I saw Blatty's name in the credits, I immediately assumed it would be a horror film but I couldn't have been more wrong. Stacey Keach plays this army psychiatrist (Col. Kane) who takes up a post at an army hospital for shell-shocked soldiers from the Vietnamese war. One of the patients is an astronaut (Capt. Culshaw) who lost his sanity before launching into space. Much of the film is devoted to the conversations between Kane and Culshaw as well as between the psychiatrist and the other patients. The tone of the film veers wildly between comic farce and and darker themes of theology, human suffering and redemption. It is very much a film that stays with you and one that you'll have to see more than once. About 8 or 9 years ago an excellent DVD was released of this film which contained a very interesting commentary track with Blatty and Mark Kermode. I'm not sure if it's still available but - thankfully - some enterprising soul has uploaded the film to YouTube.

Here's a link to the first part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2aND3Y9bc8

A very interesting film with Stacey Keach (a real career-defining role of great strength) and Jason Miller (who also played Fr. Karras in The Exorcist) in extraordinary form in particular.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
mcq

Post by mcq »

A very personal favourite film of mine is Bobby Deerfield. This is regulary slated as one of Al Pacino's worst films but, in my opinion, it is a very moving film and contains a performance of great sensitivity from Pacino (in contrast to most of the films he's been appearing in for at least the last ten years). Pacino plays an emotionally-guarded, self-obsessed Formula One racing driver, who meets (and falls for) a woman who is as outgoing as he is introspective. It sounds like just another romantic weepie, but it's a very interesting film with real emotional depth that confronts death in a rather mature way. I also love the sheer look and style of the film and I'll always have a soft spot for the music. It surprised a lot of people at the time coming right after Dog Day Afternoon and the two Godfather films but, to my mind, it's the very same Pacino who appeared in those films but in a different guise. I really wish he would do something similar now and give up all of these shouting roles he's been taking on recently.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
fergus

Post by fergus »

mcq wrote:.... It surprised a lot of people at the time coming right after Dog Day Afternoon and the two Godfather films but, to my mind, it's the very same Pacino who appeared in those films but in a different guise. I really wish he would do something similar now and give up all of these shouting roles he's been taking on recently.
Perhaps he is becoming an angry old man!?!?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Layer Cake starring Daniel Craig and Colm Meaney....

Not being a huge DVD watcher I am only getting around to this one and I found it to be most enjoyable; I particularly liked the interplay between the characters played by both Daniel Craig and Colm Meaney.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

last night's fun...

possibly the best film ever about Elvis (or is it?) a black JFK and their fight against a soul-suckin' mummy.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
mcq

Post by mcq »

I've been meaning to watch that, Ivor. I've always loved Bruce Campbell's performances in the Evil Dead films and Don Coscarelli's Phantasm.
fergus

Post by fergus »

My House in Umbria....

This a simple, credible storyline based on strong characters which are well acted out, all set in the glorious landscape that is northern Italy.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

fergus wrote:My House in Umbria....

This a simple, credible storyline based on strong characters which are well acted out, all set in the glorious landscape that is northern Italy.
I liked that one. But then I like anything (set) in that part of Italy.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ivor wrote:I liked that one. But then I like anything (set) in that part of Italy.
It certainly does help, I agree! The entire region is a (visual) delight!