Tweaker's Rash

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
Aleg

Re: Tweaker's Rash

Post by Aleg »

DaveF wrote:Blackfin's are DSP chips from Analog Devices, not actual FPGA chips. Xilinx though provide FPGA extender eval boards to offload some of the workload from the Blackfin DSP to the FPGA for rapid prototyping. In Naim's case, that's a hell of a lot of processing power on tap there for something as "simple" as audio.
Dave

My bad twice.

First because I mixed up the SHARC DSP with the Blackfin DSP (they use both but for different purposes in the stream). It is nice to read their whitepaper however from the Naim DAC and streamers however.

http://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/ ... t_2009.pdf

http://www.naimaudio.com/sites/default/ ... ct2010.pdf

Second because the SHARC is also a DSP and not a FPGA which I thought it was.

Sorry, :-(

Cheers

Aleg
HDPLEX;picoPSU;ASUS Q87M;i7-4770T;PH SR7EHD;Server2012R2;Thesycon 2.24;
JCAT USB;Sonicweld DiverterHR2;Naim DC1;Chord Hugo;Morrow Audio MA6;Naim NAC-282,SuperCapDR;NAP-300;
AQ Cinnamon;GISO GB;Netgear Pro+XM21X;Cisco SG300;NAS-ZFS.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote: Oh, Nige, there are two linear regs on the board a 3.3V one which also feeds a 1.8V one - I reckon a nice 3.3V battery supply here will optimise the power :)
yep spotted that
knew we would be thinking put a123 cell on to that fairly lively

ordered the rpi this morning if it goes well i might try a beaglebone black whenever there available

am more interested in the in the i2s implementation,
i haven't figured out how to proceed yet, but ill learn

suppose if it makes a mess with usb, it might not be worth pursuing
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Have RPi booted from Volumio (creating bootable SD cards is nearly as much a pain as bootable USB sticks)
Everything looks fine, tracks look to be playing but no sound from USB DAC!!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

jkeny wrote:Have RPi booted from Volumio (creating bootable SD cards is nearly as much a pain as bootable USB sticks)
Everything looks fine, tracks look to be playing but no sound from USB DAC!!
check if theres sound coming out of the onboard 3.5 jack
might not have the correct device selected

ill be a bit more use when i get the rpi...
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Yea, getting sound out of the audio jack if I set the output to ALSA in Volumio
So I guess I'll forget about USB audio & go straight to I2S when I get a chance
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

John

Don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but have you tried to SSH into the RPi and interrogate the audio settings: aplay -l should show you if Linux has found your USB dac.

Within the Volumio GUI there are options under the Playback menu to select. I think you need to set the mixer type to software to direct audio to Alsa.

Mark
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

LowOrbit wrote:John

Don't want to teach anyone to suck eggs, but have you tried to SSH into the RPi and interrogate the audio settings: aplay -l should show you if Linux has found your USB dac.
The Ciunas is appearing in the list of audio output choices, along with ALSA in Volumio's playback settings so I didn't figure I need to query aply but I will, thanks!
Within the Volumio GUI there are options under the Playback menu to select. I think you need to set the mixer type to software to direct audio to Alsa.

Mark
Oh, I've ignored mixer type - it was set to hardware - I'll disable it & try this.
One thing, Volumio takes a lot longer to boot up (mins) than Picoreplayer which takes only 10-20S
Tried changing mixer to disabled but still no sound
What's the user/password needed to login to Volumio terminal - it's tc/nosoup4u to login to piCoreReplayer
www.Ciunas.biz
LowOrbit

Post by LowOrbit »

Hi John

user is "root", password is "volumio".

If you dig about on the Volumio forum you'll find you need to apply an update to get I2S working as current (Beta 1.1) build broke the config. You should use the settings Russ White gives for /etc/modules after you've done that.

I never tried usb so can't give too much help there.

Volumio does take a while to boot and get MPD running. It's stable though - mines been up for days without issue.

It's a bit of a struggle getting there because as with everything else Linux information is spread all over the darn Internet.

Mark
RPi/piCorePlayer/Buffalo2/DSP/NCores/Active Impulse H2s
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

LowOrbit wrote:Hi John

user is "root", password is "volumio".
Right, thanks - tried root/password & blank/blank - the bloody Volumio forum wouldn't let me search for these keywords saying they were too common. Jeez, my rash is getting worse
If you dig about on the Volumio forum you'll find you need to apply an update to get I2S working as current (Beta 1.1) build broke the config. You should use the settings Russ White gives for /etc/modules after you've done that.
Ah, shag this - I'm off to write my own code for an embedded MCU - it would be easier then all this stumbling about in tweakers twilight zone
I never tried usb so can't give too much help there.

Volumio does take a while to boot and get MPD running. It's stable though - mines been up for days without issue.

It's a bit of a struggle getting there because as with everything else Linux information is spread all over the darn Internet.

Mark
Yea, it's ironic I started an anti-tweaking thread & here I am tweaking again - it's a conspiracy to drive people insane
www.Ciunas.biz
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

oh dear
this is starting to look like audiophile windows to go allover again

no turning back now