What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Following my discussion yesterday with Seán I took out and listened to this CD this morning....

The Magnificat is well played and sung if a little long and slightly laboured in places. That is not a criticism just an observation on interpretation. Rilling’s touch is light here instrumentally and there is a certain element of volubility that is appealing as a representation of that era of Bach presentation. I kept this version having sold on other Rilling Bach performances so I obviously like it. I wonder Seán have you done a direct comparison between the presentation styles of the other major work on this CD i.e. Vivaldi’s Gloria. Different composers and works I know but Vivaldi and Bach are almost exact contemporaries and the two works are not very dissimilar in tone and texture but I think are handled differently. Malgoire, whom you know I also admire, has a lighter touch overall which brings sparkle to the music but still retains the solemn integrity of the work. Interestingly the Vivaldi Gloria was recorded three years before the Bach Magnificat.

These things are always a matter subjective interpretation and, fortunately, everyone is different and hears things differently. I have spoken to so many people over the years that have been put off the music of JS Bach by (in my opinion) poor performances and interpretation which is very unfortunate. The same thing happened to me with the symphonic music of Brahms so I understand how important it is to get what is right for your ear. So, presentation and interpretation are critical in classical music as they can make or break a work or composer for the unsuspecting listener.

OK I will get off my soap box and let you all relax and enjoy the rest of your Sunday!!!

This is a lovely CD by the way and for those that enjoy this genre of music is available quite cheaply (around £2.00 + p+p used) and does come recommended.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
jaybee

Post by jaybee »

fergus wrote:
jaybee wrote:Image
I have that one on both CD and vinyl and it is a performance beyond comparison.
the aul pc speakers struggle very badly with it....!!
Brass Bands are all very well in their place -
outdoors and several miles away....
fergus

Post by fergus »

jaybee wrote:
fergus wrote:
jaybee wrote:Image
I have that one on both CD and vinyl and it is a performance beyond comparison.
the aul pc speakers struggle very badly with it....!!

I also have a very basic set of computer speakers for my PC listening but they do have a headphone jack at the side. I do not really like wearing headphones and don't use them very often but this set up does make a difference for more discerning listening....
fergus

Post by fergus »

This lovely CD contains 2 versions of the Salve Regina, 2 introductions to works the main body of which are now both lost and a violin concerto.
I have just listened to the two versions of the Salve Regina RV616 and RV618. Both are gorgeous versions; the singing and playing are both impeccable and the sound is also excellent. I enjoy the way in which the familiar Vivaldi rhythms are interwoven with the vocal line.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Dvorak - Symphony No.9 From the New World (Rudolf Kempe, BBC Symphony Orchestra, BBC Legends)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Adams - The Death of Klinghoffer Prologue & Act 1 (James Maddalena/Thomas Hammons/Janice Felty/Thomas Young/Eugene Perry/Sanford Sylvan/Stephanie Friedman/Sheila Nadler/Kent Nagano, The London Opera Chorus/Orchestra of the Opera de Lyon, Elektra Nonesuch)

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

If Rienzi is Wagner´s Meyerbeerian opera, Die Feen leans towards Carl Maria von Weber and Mendelssohn. Wagner didn´t think much of it in later life, and forbid it to be played at Bayreuth, but it´s really a lovely opera.
This early 80´s Orfeo recording is so good that you can ignore the most recent Dynamic version.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

If Rienzi is Wagner´s Meyerbeerian opera, Die Feen leans towards Carl Maria von Weber and Mendelssohn. Wagner didn´t think much of it in later life, and forbid it to be played at Bayreuth, but it´s really a lovely opera.
This early 80´s Orfeo recording is so good that you can ignore the most recent Dynamic version.
I know virtually nothing of Wagner as you know Pepe but it is interesting that I was reading only recently that Mendelssohn was an early influence on Wagner.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Simply amazing....a powerful performance!!
Jared

Post by Jared »