What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

JSB- Brandenburg Concertos 1-6 performed by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment....

This was an appealing set for me: the speeds were not too fast but the tempi have a nice lilt especially in the Allegros. The sound is very good and the textures of the instruments are lovely especially the brass when used.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:JSB- Brandenburg Concertos 1-6 performed by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment....
This was an appealing set for me: the speeds were not too fast but the tempi have a nice lilt especially in the Allegros. The sound is very good and the textures of the instruments are lovely especially the brass when used.
Glad you liked this one Fergus. Only the Gardiner and Savall ones to collect now. ;-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Glad you liked this one Fergus. Only the Gardiner and Savall ones to collect now. ;-)
I fear that it will not stop there Dave....I have a second recording by Goodman in transit to me but who knows when I will see that one. I am also on the look out for a sensitively played version on modern instruments for comparison purposes so who knows where that one will lead!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Lately I'm absolutely mad for this:

Lava with soprano Simone Kermes and Le Musiche Nove conducted by Claudio Osele. It consists of Opera Arias from the early 18th century by Neapolitan composers (Pergolesi, Porpora, Hasse (the German Neapolitan), Leo and Vinci). They are really beautiful melodically and full of tricky showy singing which Kermes masters seemingly effortlessly. Brilliant!

Here are some Youtube clips to give you an idea:

Porpora: Se non dovesse il piè

Hasse: Come nave in mezzo all'onde

Edit: BTW vinyl-heads, this one is actually available on LP!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:Edit: BTW vinyl-heads, this one is actually available on LP!!
with a cover like that... absolutely worth it! ;-)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:with a cover like that... absolutely worth it! ;-)
The modern marketing ploy of putting luscious females on the cover of Classical Music albums obviously works!?!?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schubert – Symphonies 1-3 played by the Putbus Festival Orchestra/Keitel...

fergus

Post by fergus »

Zemlinsky- Lyric Symphony for Soprano, Baritone and Orchestra....

This is my first venture into Zemlinsky’s work. I found the music to be very lyrical and very accessible and this is certainly a composer that I will follow up.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Had a listen to the final 3 concertos tonight. (My cd player has been a bit jealous this past week of the new vinyl setup)
Anyway, I do find this recording to be a little too heavy sounding. Other versions from Gardiner and the OAE are 'lighter', more engaging and more fleet of foot if thats right expression to use and therefore suit this type of music better imho.