What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

2nd listen... and it's making a little more sense.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
I have four of those Dave....I think that they are super! How did you like it?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Brahms - Symphony No.4 (Rudolf Kempe, Berliner Philharmoniker, Testament)

I know that you are busy Darren but when you get a chance please tell me how you liked that set. I have a Brahms Symphonic cycle with Kempe but it is played by the Munich Philharmonic.
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a powerful and lyrical version of this work.
Jared

Post by Jared »

the Glass is sublime, although structurally quite straight forward... the Rorem is the most complex and bombastic, although with moments of beautiful serenity... the Bernstein is, well, Bernstein to be honest...
Jared

Post by Jared »

I tell you, the Gliere is a beautiful concerto... an absolute treat for those of us who feel there isn't enough harp music in the classical repertoire... ;-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Image

the Glass is sublime, although structurally quite straight forward... the Rorem is the most complex and bombastic, although with moments of beautiful serenity... the Bernstein is, well, Bernstein to be honest...
I do not know the Glass work Jared but I do have and like other music by him. If you can pick it up in one of your charity shops another "modern" violin concerto that I think you will definitely like if you are starting to head in this general direction is....

fergus

Post by fergus »

Quite different from modern violin concertos but very beautiful however....

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Quite different from modern violin concertos but very beautiful however....

as you know Fergus, we'd both be singing from the same hymn sheet on that one... I bet that's a gorgeous disk...
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Brahms - Variations on a Theme by Haydn (Rudolf Kempe, Berliner Philharmoniker, Testament)

^^ Fergus, I bought this cycle based on a recommendation from a reliable source on the Friends of Radio 3 forum. I am glad I did - the textures the BPO display here are luminous and not at all heavy as they had a tendency to become later under HvK's stewardship. This is one Brahms cycle that I will keep no matter what - the tempi are judged perfectly. I like Kempe's Strauss recordings, and I am gladdened that his evident talents trasmit so winningly to this repertoire too :-)